2005-2006 NBA Season Topic

Blitz

Szczerbiak, Davis change teams in seven-player trade

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics acquired Wally Szczerbiak and Michael Olowokandi from the Minnesota Timberwolves on Thursday night in a multiplayer deal that sent Ricky Davis and three other players to Minnesota.

Davis, Mark Blount, Marcus Banks, Justin Reed and two conditional second-round draft picks are going to the slumping Timberwolves. The Celtics also get Dwayne Jones and a future first-round draft pick, Celtics spokesman Jeff Twiss said.

"We are ecstatic to acquire a player of Wally Szczerbiak's quality to complement Paul Pierce and our young talent base," Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said in a statement.

"In Wally, we are receiving an All-Star player who is playoff tested and who has been a winner at all levels. We wish Ricky, Mark, Marcus, and Justin continued success in Minnesota."

The Boston Herald and TNT first reported the trade Thursday night.

Davis was the Celtics' second leading scorer at 19.7 behind Paul Pierce, while Szczerbiak is averaging 20.1 points for the Timberwolves.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

That is a strange trade, and I'm surprised that Ricky Davis was traded. As far as I had been hearing was Mark Blount would be dealt, but now Davis is out of Boston as well. I don't know, I think Davis and Wally are both solid players, but it seems strange that either team would trade those two players. Honestly, I think Minnesota got the better end of the deal on this one. I like Wally the best of the crew, but I think Blount makes a better big man than Kandi Man, and Marcus Banks could be a solid contributor for a team on the cusp of making a playoff run.

Edited by VerbalPuke

To me the trade came out of nowhere, I dont know if I just hadnt read about it anywhere or if it really just wasnt spoken about much, either way the time it was announce when I was watching the Cavs game was the first time I heard it. Speaking of the Cavs I am glad that they were able to beat a injury depleated Pacers team so they now have won the season series in case of a tie for seeds come playoff time. Also since Hughes injury it has really shown how much the Cavs miss his defense and some of his scoring with there play on the West Coast. Next week is packed full of games for them with 4 in 5 nights I think and 3 on National TV so I am looking forward to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sophmores defeat Rookies 106-96.

76ers Andre Iguodala took home MVP honors.

As for predictions for tommorow's All-Star Weekend Festivites:

Dunk Contest: Andre Iguodala over Josh Smith in Final Round

3-point Shootout: Ray Allen def. Raja Bell in Final Round

Skills: Nash repeats over Dwayne Wade

WNBA/Legend/NBA thingy: Phoenix wins (Shawn Marion/Kelly Miller/Dan Majerle)

And of course the Game itself:

West wins close one: 134-127; MVP: Kobe Bryant

Love the Darko trade, I hope he flourishes in Orlando, kid deserves this chance.

Detroit fan agreeing over here.

On the surface, it looks as if the Pistons lost a young prospect and a good back up point guard. On the surface it may also seem that Kevin Ollie and a draft pick are kind of a shitty deal for the Pistons. However, the deal is actually pretty good in the Pistons favor. Darko was number five in the big man pecking order behind the Wallaces, Antonio McDyess, and Dale Davis. Clearly, he wasn't going to crack the rotation and he never really indicated that he had the passion to try.

As for what the Pistons got? Lot's of salary cap relief. When all is said and done, about 15 million dollars will be cleared from the cap when Cato's contract is gone, along with Arroyo's 8 million gone, and Darko's 5 million gone. This leaves the Pistons in great shape to re-sign Ben Wallace, and offer him a nice price for his amazing work as a Detroit Piston. This should also leave us in fairly good position to re-sign Chauncey Billups next semester, who is arguably our most important player.

One may ponder the question, does losing Carlos Arroyo fuck the Pistons bench up? The answer is that it does not. Lindsey Hunter is back, and he is one of the best on the ball defenders in the league, although he doesn't do much more than that. He doesn't need to though, all he needs to do is play his D, and hold down the fort while Billups is on the bench. Regardless of who our back up PG is, if Chauncey goes down, there is absolutely no shot at winning the NBA championship. Plus, this hopefully opens up more time for Carlos Delfino who is looking to be a solid defender, and can be an offensive threat if he gets the opportunity.

The draft pick we acquired from Orlando isn't ours until 2007, where it is lottery protect 1-5, and ours regardless of Orlando's position in 2008. Good move here on Dumars part, as the 2007 draft is supposedly going to be considerably deeper than this years draft.

At the same time, I wish Darko luck. I think he's found himself in a great position, on paper he should be a great compliment to Dwight Howard (whom I'm a big fan of).

Sophmores defeat Rookies 106-96.

76ers Andre Iguodala took home MVP honors.

As for predictions for tommorow's All-Star Weekend Festivites:

Dunk Contest: Andre Iguodala over Josh Smith in Final Round

3-point Shootout: Ray Allen def. Raja Bell in Final Round

Skills: Nash repeats over Dwayne Wade

WNBA/Legend/NBA thingy: Phoenix wins (Shawn Marion/Kelly Miller/Dan Majerle)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trad...~7~18~20~7~7~16

Check that beast of a trade out. I'm surprised it worked, and it's actually pretty fair for all the teams.

Minnesota Timberwolves:

Mark Blount

Mark Madsen

Ricky Davis

Allen Iverson

Marko Jaric

New York Knicks:

Eddy Curry

Kenyon Martin

Jalen Rose

Stephon Marbury

Steve Francis

Philadelphia 76er's:

Samuel Dalembert

Kevin Garnett

Chris Webber

Kyle Korver

Kevin Ollie

Denver Nuggets

Marcus Camby

Eddie Griffin

Andre Iguodala

Carmelo Anthony

Andre Miller

Minnesota gives up on Kevin Garnett getting them anywhere in the playoffs and trades for another guy who hasn't been able to win a ring, Allen Iverson. They also get Jamal Crawford who would come off the bench and play most point guard probably. Iverson and Ricky Davis would be due for a confrotation eventually.

New York keeps wheeling and dealing as they bring Kenyon Martin to the floor. The dead soldifies their playoff position as they go on a role with a great starting lineup and a deep bench. The duo of Martin and Curry open up the holes for Marbury and Francis and when the defense concentrates on Marbury and Francis they go inside.

The 76er's probably got the worst of the trade, but looking at their starting lineup, they didn't end up too bad. They become an inside team with Dalembert, Garnett and Webber. Webber and Garnett could be easily traded from the three and four positions as both have the touch to step outside if necessary. This team is alot better than at first glance.

As long as they can stay healthy, this Nuggets team is deep enough to compete for a good playoff spot. Carmelo Anthony and Andre Iguodala would be sure to create some highlight films together and with Marcus Camby on the inside, not many teams could stop this offensive minded team.

Edited by Blitz

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trad...~7~18~20~7~7~16

Check that beast of a trade out. I'm surprised it worked, and it's actually pretty fair for all the teams.

Minnesota Timberwolves:

Mark Blount

Mark Madsen

Ricky Davis

Allen Iverson

Marko Jaric

New York Knicks:

Eddy Curry

Kenyon Martin

Jalen Rose

Stephon Marbury

Steve Francis

Philadelphia 76er's:

Samuel Dalembert

Kevin Garnett

Chris Webber

Kyle Korver

Kevin Ollie

Denver Nuggets

Marcus Camby

Eddie Griffin

Andre Iguodala

Carmelo Anthony

Andre Miller

Minnesota gives up on Kevin Garnett getting them anywhere in the playoffs and trades for another guy who hasn't been able to win a ring, Allen Iverson. They also get Jamal Crawford who would come off the bench and play most point guard probably. Iverson and Ricky Davis would be due for a confrotation eventually.

New York keeps wheeling and dealing as they bring Kenyon Martin to the floor. The dead soldifies their playoff position as they go on a role with a great starting lineup and a deep bench. The duo of Martin and Curry open up the holes for Marbury and Francis and when the defense concentrates on Marbury and Francis they go inside.

The 76er's probably got the worst of the trade, but looking at their starting lineup, they didn't end up too bad. They become an inside team with Dalembert, Garnett and Webber. Webber and Garnett could be easily traded from the three and four positions as both have the touch to step outside if necessary. This team is alot better than at first glance.

As long as they can stay healthy, this Nuggets team is deep enough to compete for a good playoff spot. Carmelo Anthony and Andre Iguodala would be sure to create some highlight films together and with Marcus Camby on the inside, not many teams could stop this offensive minded team.

• 4 weeks later...

With Detroit starting to sputter a little, does anyone think the Heat or even the Nets could take over the East in the playoffs?

Amare is supposed to debut Thursday, as well.

Edited by Blitz

• 5 weeks later...

NBA Season Statistical Leaders

Scoring - Kobe Bryant [35.4 PPG]

Rebounding - Kevin Garnett [12.7 RPG]

Blocks - Marcus Camby [3.3 BPG]

3 pt. Shooting - Richard Hamilton [.458%]

Assists - Steve Nash [10.4 APG]

Steals - Gerald Wallace [2.5 SPG]

Double Doubles - Kevin Garnett [62]

Triple Doubles - Jason Kidd [8]

And here's my seasonal awards:

Most Valuable Player: Kobe Bryant [LAL]

Most Improved Player: David West [NOK]

Rookie of the Year: Chris Paul [NOK]

Six Man of the Year: Jerry Stackhouse [DAL]

Defensive Player of the Year: Marcus Camby [DEN]

Coach of the Year: Larry Brown :shifty: Flip Saunders [DET]

playoffs6ea.png

Spurs def. Kings in five.

Mavericks def. Grizzlies in five.

Clippers def. Nuggets in six.

Phoenix def. Lakers in five.

Pistons def. Bucks in four.

Cavaliers def. Wizards in six.

Nets def. Pacers in six.

Miami def. Bulls in five.

My Award Predictions

Most Valuable Player: Lebron James (Cleveland Cavaliers) 2nd: Kobe Bryant, 3rd: Chauncey Billups

Most Improved Player: Boris Diaw (Phoenix Suns) 2nd: David West

Rookie of the Year: Chris Paul (New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets), if this one isn't unanimous then they may as well get rid of the award

Six Man of the Year: Jerry Stackhouse (Dallas Mavericks)

Defensive Player of the Year: Bruce Bowen (San Antonio Spurs), 2nd: Ben Wallace 3rd: Marcus Camby

Coach of the Year: Byron Scott (New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets) 2nd: Flip Saunders, 3rd: Brian Hill

Playoff Predictions

Eastern Conference

Detroit Pistons over Milwaukee Bucks (4-0)

Cleveland Cavaliers over Washington Wizards (4-3)

New Jersey Nets over Indiana Pacers (4-1)

Miami Heat over Chicago Bulls (4-2)

Western Conference

San Antonio Spurs over Sacramento Kings (4-2)

Dallas Maverics over Memphis Grizzlies (4-2)

Los Angeles Clippers over Denver Nuggets (4-3)

Phoenix Suns over Los Angeles Lakers (4-2)

Edited by Assassin

I had to work from 3-10 but I was able to sneak back to the break room for alot of the game so I was able to see the Cavs game. Lebron really took over the game, he scored some early and then when he started getting double teamed he found the open man and those guys were hitting most of there shots. If the bench guys play as well for us as they did tonight along with the other role players then I would be surprised to see the series go past 5 games.

I was thinking throughout the game: James is eventually gonna get tired. Sure he might be 21, but playing that many minutes is gonna pay a toll eventually. Even if the Cavaliers advance past this round they are gonna have a hard time going anywhere else with a tired James.