The Ramones battle cancer once again

ROC

Ramones Guitarist's Tragic Cancer Battle

Former Ramones guitarist Johnny Ramone is losing his battle with terminal cancer, with bandmate Marky Ramone fearing the worst. The 55-year-old rocker - real name John Cummings - was diagnosed with prostate cancer four years ago and it has now spread throughout his body, reports rock magazine Rolling Stone Marky Ramone, drummer for the legendary group who split in 1996, says, "Johnny's been a champ in confronting this, but at this point I think the chances are slim. John never smoked cigarettes, he wasn't a heavy drinker and he was always into his health. It just proves when cancer seeks a body to penetrate, it doesn't matter how healthy you are or how unhealthy you are. It just seeps in and there's nothing you can do." The Ramones have been plagued by tragedy in recent years - singer Joey Ramone passed away in 2001 from lymphatic cancer and bassist Dee Dee Ramone died from a drug overdose the following year.

It's sad to see this happen to such a great band as the Ramones.

Guest bruins72

I had just heard about this yesterday. It's a real shame. There have already been 2 Ramones lost before their time. You've got to give Johnny Ramone credit though. He's put up one hell of a fight.

I won't go into my relative disdain for Johnny Ramone here, as it really wouldn't be appropriate, but I really do hope he gets better. I don't want to have to buy another commemorative T-shirt, it saddens me enough to see the Joey and Dee Dee ones.

I read a statement from his doctor saying that Johnny isnt dying and he's going home

That is a quote from a friend of mine I know via Yahoo messanger. Take it for a grain of salt if you wish, but that is what he told me. I would assume he most likely isn't lying, we share quite a similar interest in music, and are both huge Ramones fans. I really hope he is feeling better, I even listened to the Ramones last night in case Johnny really is sick and dying. I've read Johnny was hard to get along with, but I really hope every thing turns out great for him. I'd be depressed if we lost another Ramone.

Apparently he is dying.

Apparently he isn't dying.

All I know is, I'll still listen to Gimmie Gimmie Shock Treatment regardless.

I'll add an additional article from today:

Ramone "Not Dying" Says Wife

Reports the punk legend Johnny Ramone is dying of prostrate cancer have been wildly exaggerated - according to his wife Lydia. On Wednesday, bandmate Marky Ramone told of how he fears his pal is near death after battling the deadly disease for the past four years. But yesterday, his wife Lydia slammed the comments stating that, far from being in intensive care, Johnny is preparing to leave the Los Angeles hospital where he is receiving treatment. Lydia says, "He's not dying. He was okay for years, and he's fine now. He's in the hospital, but he's not in Icu. And I think he may be leaving by tomorrow." Ramone's doctor David Agus confirms, "(Johnny was admitted due to a) complication from the cancer. But he got through it, and he's now on a new, experimental therapy. He's fighting courageously, and I think he will be going home in the near term."

So we might not be losing him after all.