My PS2 is knackered

HFD

Right, i had a PS2 a few months after it came out. It played fine up to about 3 months ago, when it started to stop playing new games like FFX-2 and HCTP. Actually, it sometimes DID play them, but that was so rare i only ever played them once or twice. And for some weird reason it only played PS1 games when the PS2 was upside down :ohwell:. I bought FIFA 2004 and AR Max for my birthday only to find they require about 3 hours resetting the PS2 to get them to work :( The funny thing is quite old games like MGS2 and FFX work on the first try.

But last night the whole thing fucked up. No game would play (Not even old ones like FFX), and i spent hours trying to get it working

I've followed loads of tutorials online about fixing a faulty PS2, such as moving a gear under the disc tray a notch, then putting a game in and seeing if it works. I tried every bloody notch (There's about 100 of them) and no result. I've used CD lens cleaners (And manually cleaning the lens) lots of times.

I e-mailed Sony a while ago and asked how much a PS2 replacement would cost. They said £60.

Now should i continue messing about inside the PS2, or should i just fork out the money for a replacement?

I have the same problem with mine. It'll play PS1 games and my CDs, but won't seem to read the PS2 games, or my DVDs... it's so fucking annoying.

I dont play many PS1 games, but when my PS2 games or DVDs don't work, I open up the system, and just clean the dust out, then it works fine for me.

Does "Disc Read Error" come up because that's what happened to me.

That's exactly what happened. I've gone in and cleaned the fucker out a bajillion times, and I've been on the phone with Sony at least a dozen times, but it never seems to work, and they refuse to send me a replacement system, as I've opened it up to clean it out... despite the fact that the guy at Sony TOLD me to open it up and clean it out.

That's exactly what happened. I've gone in and cleaned the fucker out a bajillion times, and I've been on the phone with Sony at least a dozen times, but it never seems to work, and they refuse to send me a replacement system, as I've opened it up to clean it out... despite the fact that the guy at Sony TOLD me to open it up and clean it out.

My neighbor and I took an industrial air blower to it, that was cool...

That's odd, mine is probably about as old as yours, HFD. I just took it apart, cleaned it, and moved the gear and mine worked fine.

I'd just go with the replacement. is 60 pounds a lot of money? I don't think so, but I don't know a lot about foreign currency.

Guest British_Bulldogg

I'd just go with the replacement. is 60 pounds a lot of money? I don't think so, but I don't know a lot about foreign currency.

Nope that's quite cheap actually. Round $75 i think.

You can blame yourself for it fucking up partly, mainly because if you even attempt to fiddle around with the insides it will fuck up.

Don't even think about getting it repaired either. That costs like 80 quid and then it just goes the same way again like 4-5 months later. I say get a new one which will last you at least till the PS3 comes out.

You can blame yourself for it fucking up partly, mainly because if you even attempt to fiddle around with the insides it will fuck up.

I've "fiddled around with the insides" a few times now and the only result was the PS2 working better :/

I've "fiddled around with the insides" a few times now and the only result was the PS2 working better :/

Well then you are lucky aint you? Myself and so many others have done the same and realised its a terrible idea. Yeah it may get it working again, but you keep doing it and it'll end up making it worst. Maybe its just me, but it's happened to be like three times and I am now on my forth PS2.

Yeah my PS2 is bunk by now. 3 years old, getting disc read errors out the Wazoo. I called Sony and they said it is something that happens to all older PS2s, a common defect, and it would be repaired for free. I just have to pay to ship it some place in state, and it will be repaired. A friend of mine did it, and his PS2 works good as new. I'm gonna send it in sometime before Madden 2005 comes out. This is in the states tho, not sure what they'd do in England.

i brought it to the place i bought it from and said it was broken. I got a new PS2. Try that out, it might work for ya. :)

Guest Sean O'Haire

I saw something on the net about you taking it apart and you push down something inside the machine on some sort of circuit board. I always use canned air, and it works. Also, I had DRE's playing games with blue discs, but I put some mailing tape on all four sides of the front of the disc, and it works fine.

Same thing happened with mine. I got a 2-year guarantee with Dixons, so I rang them up, they took it away and gave me one that had previously been repaired. Simple. Works perfeck