Manic Monday in the NFL

ROC

First, the big news of the day, Mooch's firing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2239336

Mariucci out as Lions' coach

Associated Press

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions fired coach Steve Mariucci on Monday and promoted defensive coordinator Dick Jauron to succeed him on an interim basis.

He finished his tenure as Lions head coach with an 18 percent approval rating.

Mariucci's week-by-week graph.

Mariucci's record with the Lions was 15-28. His 2003 hiring was hailed by fans and media alike, but he was not able to turn around a team that has won one playoff game since 1957.

"It's hard for me to stand up here in this position because Steve is a friend," said Jauron, who had a 35-46 record as head coach of the Bears from 1999-2003.

After Detroit lost 27-7 to the Atlanta Falcons on Thanksgiving to fall to 4-7, reports swirled that the team was considering firing Mariucci. When Mariucci was not let go over the weekend, some thought his job was safe for the final five games of the regular season.

"We started off this season with high expectations. I believed this was a roster that was capable of making a playoff run," team president Matt Millen said at an afternoon news conference. "We have not lived up to our expectations. We have underachieved as a football team."

Millen, who said the decision to fire Mariucci was made Monday, also fired offensive line coach Pat Morris and tight ends coach Andy Sugarman.

The Lions have lost four of five games since a solid start put them atop the NFC North with the Chicago Bears. The team has collapsed on and off the field with players failing to produce and some bickering with one another and questioning the coaches' game plans.

Offensive tackle Jeff Backus said players had not been notified of the move.

"Something had to give, I guess," Backus told The Associated Press. "It's not my job to judge whether Mariucci did a good job or bad job, but we're in a bottom-line business and our bottom line hasn't been very good."

Mariucci has more than two years remaining on the $25 million contract he signed in 2003. The Michigan native came to the Lions from San Francisco, where he was 60-43 over six seasons.

Mariucci was cut some slack in the past because the team he inherited was crafted by Millen, but expectations were high heading into his third season.

"I think we need to [make the playoffs]. We want to, and we're going to make it happen," Mariucci said before the season. "If we win 10 or 11 ballgames and make the playoffs, it would make us happy and make the fans happy."

Millen hired both Mariucci and his predecessor, Marty Mornhinweg, and drafted or signed most of the players currently on the Lions -- and Detroit is an NFL-worst 20-55 since 2001. Millen, a former NFL linebacker and TV analyst was given a five-year extension before this season.

Jauron, Detroit's defensive coordinator the past two seasons, was fired in 2003 after four losing seasons in five years with the Bears. He was selected as NFL coach of the year during his lone winning season in Chicago.

"We need to take these next five weeks, and we need to play ... and see what we can get out of it," Jauron said. "I don't have plans other than the next game."

The Lions are the first team since the NFL and AFL merged drafts in 1967 to draft receivers in the first round three straight years.

Charles Rogers missed most of his first two seasons with injuries and was suspended for four games this year for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Roy Williams has made his share of plays, but has struggled to stay healthy. Rookie Mike Williams, also slowed by injuries, has shown few flashes of promise.

Detroit's quarterback situation also hurt Mariucci's chances for success.

Joey Harrington, the third overall pick in 2002, has failed to be consistent throughout his career. The Lions added a veteran to push Harrington, or replace him, but 35-year-old Jeff Garcia has been nagged by injuries and an inability to throw deep passes.

The Lions' porous offensive line has added to their passing- and running-game woes while a decent defense has been hampered by being on the field too long, and by injuries.

Guest Chaos Theory

Right now I'm upset. I'm a Buccaneers fine, but I've been hoping that the lions would get a good break.

First of all, It's hard to win a football game when your forced to coach a QB that you have no faith in. Personally, If I was head coach of the lion's I wouldn't have faith in Harrington either.

Mooch was fired because he and GM Millian didn't agree on who should be leading the offense. Mooch should have been given another year and he should have had some say on the draft picks. With a great quarterback class coming up with the likes of Matt Leinart, maybe Vince Young, Maybe Marcus Vick, Detroit gets a Quarterback and they will go places.

Just like the Houston Texans. They get an offensive line and they will go places.

If any team is suited to beat the Colts...it's the Steelers.

I'm not saying they'll win...I'm just saying this is the best team the Colts have played all year thus far. And tonight is going to be a great game!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

I'm not saying they'll win...I'm just saying this is the best team the Colts have played all year thus far. And tonight is going to be a great game!

Yeah, because that's biased at all. <_<

Seriously, do you ever spew anything out that's not uber pro-Steelers? Becuase if you have, I haven't seen it. The Steelers aren't going to win simply because Ben hasn't been playing the last couple of weeks. If he had been playing, then yeah, I suppose they would have a chance to beat them, but the Steelers, at this point, aren't the best team to face the Colts this year. If anything it's the Jaguars or the Bengals are. But like I said, if Ben had been playing the last couple of weeks, I would probably consider them one of the best teams, but because he hasn't, I don't think they can gel together enough to beat the Colts.

And as far as Mooch is concerned, I think it's bullshit, but whatever. He's more than likely going to end up on a bad team too, but if it's the Texans, he can work with that. All they really need, like Chaos said, is an O-Line and possibly a new QB, as well as some quality veterans on the other side of the ball and they're pretty much set.

He's hardly the only person to say the Steelers are the best team to face the Colts right now, though. They said it on TV here last night. :ohwell:

Edited by Summers

Seriously, do you ever spew anything out that's not uber pro-Steelers? Becuase if you have, I haven't seen it. The Steelers aren't going to win simply because Ben hasn't been playing the last couple of weeks. If he had been playing, then yeah, I suppose they would have a chance to beat them, but the Steelers, at this point, aren't the best team to face the Colts this year. If anything it's the Jaguars or the Bengals are. But like I said, if Ben had been playing the last couple of weeks, I would probably consider them one of the best teams, but because he hasn't, I don't think they can gel together enough to beat the Colts.

Yeah, I'm a Hawks fan, know that the Colts play the Hawks at home, and I say that the Steelers have a FAR better chance to beat the Colts then the Hawks do. Hell, I'll be happy if the Hawks at least make it close. The Jaguars might have a chance too if Garrad plays as well as ESPN is making him out to be.

First off, Mooch deserved the axe and as a Detroit native, I'm glad he finally got it. With three recievers who were top ten picks, the running back he wanted, a top tight end, and plenty of money spent on defense, he has no excuses left. Harrington's not a bad quarterback, he just never had the confidence of his coach and therefore never played with any confidence. Even when Mooch put his own QB, Garcia, in, the results were less than satisfactory.

As far as the Colts, I don't think the Steelers stand a chance at all. They can match-up defensively against Indy's offense, but Indy will still get their points and Pittsburgh doesn't have the firepower to match points against the Colts defense. If Indy loses this year, it'll be to the Seahawks. Hasselbeck can strike quickly, plus Alexander will grind out the clock. Not to mention, that Seattle defense has played great.

The Steelers/Bengals game WASN'T as close as the score indicated. They got dominated physically on both sides of the ball. With the exception of the opening drive the Bengals did next to nothing against the Steelers all day.

EDIT: Oh yeah...and watch the Colts horrid special teams play against Steelers kick and punt returners Quincy Morgan and Antwan Randle El.

Edited by SkinMySenses

Colts 38, Steelers 10. Big Ben throws 2 picks in his 12 attempts and generally gets owned by Freeney and co.

I'm bitter as fuck that Jay Feely and the left side of the Giants offensive line (11 penalties between them I think) completely ruined the season yesterday afternoon. Fucking losers.

The Steelers/Bengals game WASN'T as close as the score indicated. They got dominated physically on both sides of the ball. With the exception of the opening drive the Bengals did next to nothing against the Steelers all day.

EDIT: Oh yeah...and watch the Colts horrid special teams play against Steelers kick and punt returners Quincy Morgan and Antwan Randle El.

Edited by Livid

Look at the stats of the game and it's a whole different story. The "famed" Steelers run D gave up 85 yard to Rudi Johnson on 12 carries. Had Cincy given Rudi the ball more, he would've easily gone over 100 yards. They both had 2 turnovers and it's just about who capitalizes on those turnovers. So it was a lot closer than you think it was, because I'm looking at the stats for the game right now.

It looks like the most overrated QB in the history of the NFL came up small yet again in a big game. Can't say I'm surprised really, but it'll be interesting to see the media slurp him up some more by saying he was rusty or some such bullshit when the fact is he's never played a good game against a big time team when it mattered.

Ah hell.

Horrible playcalling.

Horrible Oline play.

Horrible tackling.

You can't expect to beat anyone (except maybe the Texans) playing like that. Especially the Colts.

Steelers got their asses handed to them. Hopefully they can rebound against the Bengals next week or this season is for all intents and purposes over.

This could've been the Steelers first loss of the year. Instead they find themselves almost sitting on the outside looking in come playoff time.

Fucking Tommy Maddox.

Ah hell.

Horrible playcalling.

Horrible Oline play.

Horrible tackling.

You can't expect to beat anyone (except maybe the Texans) playing like that. Especially the Colts.

Steelers got their asses handed to them. Hopefully they can rebound against the Bengals next week or this season is for all intents and purposes over.

This could've been the Steelers first loss of the year. Instead they find themselves almost sitting on the outside looking in come playoff time.

Fucking Tommy Maddox.

Edited by Livid

Week 16. At Seattle.

That is the only place I see the Colts losing for the rest of the year. And that'll only be if the game is played in bad weather.

Steelers played like crap last night, in their defense. The game should've been something like 23-17 or 23-20 if the Steelers were at the top of their game. I still say the Colts would've won, but not as convincingly.

Week 16. At Seattle.

That is the only place I see the Colts losing for the rest of the year. And that'll only be if the game is played in bad weather.

Steelers played like crap last night, in their defense. The game should've been something like 23-17 or 23-20 if the Steelers were at the top of their game. I still say the Colts would've won, but not as convincingly.