High School Sports

Tarheels.

Ok, I know theres some decent high school teams out there, my team football team just lost in the 4-AA state finals for North Carolina. But they lost to the team with the longest winning streak in the entire country (its a 92 game streak now). So have you ever had any successful high school teams?

Eastern Tech 2005 (Baltimore County, MD)

Big 3:

Football: Lost in 1st round of 2A state tournament this year.

Basketball: Made it to 2A state semi-finals last year.

Baseball: Won 2A state championship last year.

Tennis: With me as captain we went 6-3 in county play last spring and finished 4th place in the 1A/2A division for Baltimore County.

Big 3:

Football - went 2-8. Our wins came vs. some tech school that only played four games against really tiny schools, then our rival... who went 1-9 (their win was also against us, it broke their 24 game losing streak). Everyone else that beat us were at least twice our size and had at least 6 wins.

Baseball - either (a) barely makes the state tournament, loses in the first round or (b) only wins a quarter of the games.

Basketball - I don't remember. We never did all that well.

--------------

Other shit:

Soccer: Girls won state titles when I was still there. They were the #1 seed in Class S (small) just two years ago. This year they didn't make the playoffs. The boys did, got the #2 seed, lost in the semis.

Golf: My freshman year I was the 5th starter. My sophomore year, I was 9th on the depth chart, assistant to the coach, the team was the best in all eastern Connecticut. Which means we came about 10th place in states. I left the team after that. Since then, we won Division 4 (smallest schools) in 2004 and came 4th in 2005.

Besides those, all we got is track, softball, and cross country. We're broke and too tiny for anything else. Hell, our football team is a co-op with a tech school.

Edited by Lowerdeck

Rugby: Our school is absolutely nuts about Rugby, we're undefeated in 3 straight seasons. It was weird, myself and a few of my friends decided to join, and it turns out we've got a bit of a knack for it. 2 of the players came back from the Canada games this summer after playing for Quebec Rugby.

Volleyball: Mens and Womens volleyball have swept every tournament they've played in for the past 4 years. The same team from the school also won the provincials. My girlfriend was the setter on the team, they were playing at Jeux de Quebec and finished 2nd place. Yeah its weird there's a Provincial tournie than the Jeux de Quebec which is basically the same thing.

Edited by That Guy... The One Who Did WD

Only team that is any good at my school is the one I play on and I play on the soccer team. Last year we surprised alot of people and went all the way to the state semi finals and finished in forth place, losing to ST. Ignatius, a team that was undefeated this year and #1 ranked high school soccer team in the and a team with three all-americans, so they were pretty good. Other then soccer, all the other teams at my school suck other then the occasicanl good wresteler or tennis player.

oh yea, and last year one of our star players went to Tennesee so you can find him on their website. (Montario Hardesty, hes a half back) and his brother is currently playing as the starting halfback for our team. So we've got a really nice football team. Basketball aint so good, our Varisty team didn't even make playoffs for the last 3 years. Baseball is pretty good. We've got some really good players, one of em was scouted by a minor league team a year or two ago. So we're decent in baseball, good in football, and terrible in basketball

The Kid that pretty much carried the soccer team to the State semis, Josh Grossmen, went to a D. 1. College in Wright State and has scored like 6-7 goals and had some assist to go along with that so he is pretty good in college only as a freshmen. In high school he scored 132 goals in about 75 games so average atleast 2 goals a game and broke tons of school records.

Edit: I was just looking at his college soccer site and this show you that he is pretty good he bike in a goal in a tounrnament game. Here is the recap http://www.wsuraiders.com/cgi-bin/athletic...eatures&id=2475

Edited by Green Demon

Eastern Tech 2005 (Baltimore County, MD)

Big 3:

Football: Lost in 1st round of 2A state tournament this year.

Basketball: Made it to 2A state semi-finals last year.

Baseball: Won 2A state championship last year.

Tennis: With me as captain we went 6-3 in county play last spring and finished 4th place in the 1A/2A division for Baltimore County.

Didn't Rudy Gay go to your school before Spalding picked him up?

John Carroll School (Bel Air, MD)

Girl's Soccer: One of the top 4-5 in the state consistently and sometimes ranked nationally.

Girl's Tennis: Is very young, not much right now, but has potential to be great.

Volleyball: Both Boy's and Girl's are consistently at the top of their conference.

Cross Country: The Girl's team is going to be amazing for at least one more year, and this time we're up in A Conference.

Rugby: We're trying to establish ourselves as a Rugby powerhouse and so far have done fairly well. Our principal being the architect behind this program certainly has helped.

Boy's Lacrosse: We win B-Conference a lot, but never enough for them to move us up to A-Coference where we will get slaughtered.

Girl's Lacrosse: Decent, but like the whole team has scholarship at D1 schools.

Ok, I know theres some decent high school teams out there, my team football team just lost in the 4-AA state finals for North Carolina. But they lost to the team with the longest winning streak in the entire country (its a 92 game streak now). So have you ever had any successful high school teams?

Edited by ACCBiggz

Yeah, my school used to be viewed as the "Country Clubber's" school, becuase of the amount of rich people that used to attend it, but more recently we've become one of the better teams in our Conference in every sport and our conference is one of the best/most competitive ones in the state.

Football: 5-5 Overall (4-4 Conference play) - This was supposed to be the year of all year's as the Senior class (my class) was supposed to be the best to ever grace the halls at this school, football-wise. The talent was there, but our O couldn't gel long enough for us to have any major success. We had the best D in the Conference which includes the D.C. Everest Evergreens and the Marshfield Tigers, two of the biggest football school's in the state and in the Midwest to an extent. We lost our first two games to Marshfield and a our cross-town rivals Wausau West, but then we want on a 5 game winning streak, only to go on a 3 game losing streak to close out the season.

Basketball: One of the best teams in the state. We've won the Wisconsin Valley Conference title the last 2 years and we went to the State Semi-Finals 2 years ago, but lost to Milwaukee-King. The two main stars of our team are Ben Fischer and Ryan Jirgl, both of whom are also our star football players. Fischer has a full-ride to the University of Minnesota and Jirgl's looking at smaller schools to then transfer, but both for football. Regardless, we're poised to make a run with an experienced Senior class leading the way.

Baseball: We're mediocre at this sport, so I won't really go into too much detail, lol.

I try to stay pretty up on HS Football, and I've never heard of that school. I did hear and watch the team from Cali that was on ESPN 2 years ago when their streak got broken. Is 4-AA your big schools? If so I have never heard of a team from NC with a win streak, which is odd.

Ohio has a lot of good teams, and storied teams...

Massillon and Ironton may be the two most storied, Ironton for the NFL ties (Although, Portsmouth has the old Portsmouth Spartans stadium where the PHS Trojans now play)

Canton McKinley and Massillon had the only HS Football betting line as of like 1999.

St.Xavier, Colerain, St. Ignatius, Archbishop Moeller, Glenville, Elder may be some of the most recent ones.

Colerain had the football game against Tyler Lee from Texas on ESPNU, and were our defending state champs. They lost a lot of talent but only lost a regular season game to St.X by the score of 7-0. They met again in the playoffs and St.X won in OT. Massillon lost to Canton McKinely in the last week of the season 33-8, then beat them in the regional finals 21-3.

Glenville lost to St. Edwards... State final game was St.X v. Massillon, and Massillon gave X a run for their money but came up short.

Our DII, DIII, DIV, DV, and DVI schools are also very competitve, there isn't a big gap from DI to DVI.

DII had Brookhaven (now DI), Avon Lake, and a few others...

DIII: Steubenville, St. Francis DeSales

DIV: Ironton, Cardinal Mooney, Coldwater, Bellaire

DV: Wheelersburg, Amanda Clearcreek, Versailles

DIV: Hardin Northern, St.John's

I am probably missing some... I love HS Football

The Kid that pretty much carried the soccer team to the State semis, Josh Grossmen, went to a D. 1. College in Wright State and has scored like 6-7 goals and had some assist to go along with that so he is pretty good in college only as a freshmen. In high school he scored 132 goals in about 75 games so average atleast 2 goals a game and broke tons of school records.

Edit: I was just looking at his college soccer site and this show you that he is pretty good he bike in a goal in a tounrnament game. Here is the recap http://www.wsuraiders.com/cgi-bin/athletic...eatures&id=2475

Edited by twat4life27

I dont' know too much about the current Tarpon Springs High School Spongers, but I can relay my experinces with JV Football in the year 1999.(Like it matters).

Game 1: Tarpon AT the Seminole Warhawks

At absolute asskicking game, with the ass belonging to Tarpon. I don't know what the final score was, and to be perfectly honest, I don't WANT to know. We got our asses handed to us on a silver platter. My personal highlight was going into the game at right tackle, getting on the line, and looking at this HUGE defensive end. He came charging in, and I made a decision: In this blowout of a game, who's more important: Myself, or the QB? Well, sorry Mike (QB), but it's everyman for himself.

GAME 2: The Countryside Cougars AT Tarpon

We managed to upend the Cougars in this game by using a trick play (Trips Left Z Double Pass) to score early in the game, and we managed to maintain the lead. Nothing major as far as my playing goes, other then getting in late at DT and killing the tailback during a play action.

GAME 3: East Lake Eagles AT Tarpon

Ah, East Lake. The BIG rivarly. East Lake was the 'rich' school, Tarpon the 'poor' school. (however, as one of my Social Studies teachers pointed out, look at the student parking lot, and ask if the school was really that poor). East Lake gets a 4 point lead with 2 minutes remaining, so the Coach begins to run this fucked up offense called a "Golden Knight". Basically, in the small text figure below, a @ represensts the center, X the linemen, and letters correspond to the posistions.

X X X X TE TE @

TB FB

WR QB

I did not understand the logic behind it. Typically, the defense would lineup against the linemen, leaving one tackle to take on the center. I didn't quite get the defense, as it would be more logical to stick two linebackers against the center, since he clearly can't block both at the same time. Anyways, the Golden Knight didn't work, and we lost.

GAME 4: Dunedin Falcons AT Tarpon

Z Double Pass is our first play. Dunedin takes lead, more Golden Knight uselessness for Tarpon's 3rd loss.

GAME 5: Tarpon AT Clearwater Tornadoes.

This was the second 'big' game. Before East Lake was a school, the big rivarly was between Tapron and Clearwater, and our coaches were all pre-East Lake alumnus. We blew them out, 17-0 in a dominant game. I got in on defense and roughed up the line a bit, and we managed to stop their feelbe attempt at scoring with an interception. Game, set, and match. Tarpon wins their second game.

GAME 6: Tarpon AT Palm Harbor Hurricanes

I watched this one from the sidelines (only thing different was I was out of uniform thanks to an Ankle Sprain). Tarpon just shut them down totally in this game, no major plays or funstuff like that to advance to 3 and 3.

GAME 7: Largo Packers AT Tarpon

Final game of the season, taking on an 0-6 team. You'd think we could've polished them off without any victories, and giving us a winning season, but the ineptness of our coach didn't do much for us. More Golden Knight fun at the end, leaving the non-starters pissed off due to promises by the coach of "EVERYONE will play", only to get shuffed aside in the name of victory in a meaningless game.

Final Record 3-4

So, that was the glory of Tarpon High JV Football in 1999. It was my only year playing football, and I'm glad I left it.

Only two good things happened during my tenure at Tarpon Springs High School (1999-2003). In the '99-'00 wrestling season, the team (Coached by the same worthless man that did JV, he was a GOD in amatuer wrestling. Look him up: Russ Schenk. He would've made the '96 Olympics, but lost to some guy named Angle. Maybe you heard of Russ' nemisis <_< ) would go 14-0-1, with the sole tie being against the detested East Lake Eagles. A school record was set win 152 pound Nick Albini recorded the fastest pin, breaking the record held by one of the wrestling coaches (and alumni). One kid would get 3rd place at states.

In 2003, the other good school thing was the girls soccer team took home the state title. A big accomplishment, considering how sorry the entire school was at sports that year.