The Guitar Hero Thread

apsham

Question, since I haven't actually played Guitar Hero but am considering either asking for it for Christmas, or asking for cash for Christmas and buying it myself with the money:

What exactly does Star Power do? Does it just let you get through parts of the song that are a bitch to play by activating it, or does it do other things, too?

And I've noticed in some of the clips on Youtube that sometimes the characters do tricks like flinging the guitar and catching it or playing it behind their head. Do the characters just do that on their own at random, or are there motion sensors in the controller and the players are actually doing those tricks and it translates on screen?

(I am sooooo gonna unlock the Grim Reaper asap, after watching a clip of someone using him while playing BATM)

And if they do a GH 3, there damn well better be some Def Leppard, since there doesn't appear to be any in GH 2. Dumb asses.

Question, since I haven't actually played Guitar Hero but am considering either asking for it for Christmas, or asking for cash for Christmas and buying it myself with the money:

What exactly does Star Power do? Does it just let you get through parts of the song that are a bitch to play by activating it, or does it do other things, too?

And I've noticed in some of the clips on Youtube that sometimes the characters do tricks like flinging the guitar and catching it or playing it behind their head. Do the characters just do that on their own at random, or are there motion sensors in the controller and the players are actually doing those tricks and it translates on screen?

(I am sooooo gonna unlock the Grim Reaper asap, after watching a clip of someone using him while playing BATM)

And if they do a GH 3, there damn well better be some Def Leppard, since there doesn't appear to be any in GH 2. Dumb asses.

Star Power pretty much doubles whatever points you earn. That's on top of the bonuses you earn for hitting tonnes of notes in a row. So if you had a X4 bonus and than used star power it would go to X8. It's useful for tricky sections cause you can only hit 1/2 the notes and get the same reaction as if you were hitting all of them.

There's a sensor in the guitar which tells when you tilt it and that activates star power. Once you're in star power than the character on screen does all that crazy shit, you don't do anything.

And it's the Grim Ripper man, honor the legends.

So, over the past couple days I been working on finishing the career mode on expert(getting 5* on Higher Ground and Spanish Castle Magic in the process. Go me). And I have 2 things to say on the topic of Frankenstein: 1) Any solo that you can start with a green status meter, then fail in the middle of using star power earns my respect, and 2) It's bullshit that they expect you to play a song done with keyboards with a guitar.

For those interested, the official site has soundclips of 14 songs from the upcoming game. Sweet Child O' Mine sounds even more annoying than the original, I have no idea how they expect anyone to play Misirlou on Expert, and I think Psychobilly Freakout may be made from the original recording, like John the Fisherman. If not, it's a spot-the-fuck-on cover.... for those 15 seconds, anyway... <_<

Fanku, when I saw the list of songs, I was surprised that Frankenstein was on there, myself. If they wanted to do a mostly keyboard song that would probably be fun to do, they should have tried to get Cars or I Ran. (Yes, I know they're not hard rock\metal songs, but they'd be better choices). Frankenstein seems like a song that would be a chore to play, rather than fun.

Not sure if anybody knows about this but:

http://antonstruyk.com/freetar/

It's a PC Freeware game called "Freetar Hero". You can use the editor to make your own songs and use the game to play other people's created songs, as well as your own. You can either use the keyboard, a game pad, or, if you've got a PS2 PC Controller Adapter, you can even use the Hero Guitar.

Guitar Hero on the 360? Downloadable songs, anyone?

If it was going to be anything like that I would think they would say something about it. And paying extra for a new guitar? Yowza... they better have a converter of some kind because that's one thing they said in an interview that they'd NEVER make fans of the series do.

The cover of "Heart Shaped Box" is... terrible! No one can be Kirk Cobane but this guy isn't even close. I do agree however that the cover of "Message in a Bottle" is pretty good.

The whole point of the game though is that you're a band that is pretty much doing all covers, I doubt there was a big push for a Cobain sound alike.

Edited by TAKA Apshamoku

Guitar Hero on the 360? Downloadable songs, anyone?

If it was going to be anything like that I would think they would say something about it. And paying extra for a new guitar? Yowza... they better have a converter of some kind because that's one thing they said in an interview that they'd NEVER make fans of the series do.

I read that, they said that before it was ever rumoured to be multi-format. I think they were saying, qutie rightly, that they wouldn't add new buttons or anything to force consumers to shell out extra for a new controller for the new game. If it's for a different console, it's another matter, although I'm sure it would be more appeasing to the fans if a converter was developed, I'm not sure quite how possible it is, and if the gamer needs to buy a new guitar to play the new game on a different format, then that's more money for the company, so there's perhaps less incentive there to come up with a converter solution.

Would that work for the guitar controller though? The way the game recognises that the controller is a guitar is becuase the guitar controllers are permanently inputting the left direction (like holding the left button down on a regular controller). Don't know if that would affect it at all.