Black Metal Top 5

Gabriel

So my friend and I are planning on doing a series of Top 5's in a blog with a bunch of other people, and I'll be doing my own on the side.

What I wanted to do first, was as a side project to my Top 5: John Cusack Films, do a Top 5: Best Black Metal Bands.

In order to do this without bias (as much as possible, anyways), what I'm doing is going around and asking people to name Black Metal groups, as well as 5 songs from each band or artist that I should listen to. Once I've assembled a list, I will be obtaining the music, and then giving it all a good listen before coming out with my list, which will also feature a write-up on each band that makes the list.

If anyone wants to help me compile this list, that would be awesome.

Guest Steiner Slovak

Venom - Black Metal

Mayhem - Pure Fucking Armageddon OR Freezing Moon

Burzum - War

Emperor - Beyond The Great Vast Forest

Celtic Frost - Necromantical Screams

One song by each band is hard to come up with, but there is my list. I don't know if Venom or Celtic Frost will fall upon the Black Metal category but they are there as an influence of course. Mayhem itself shaped the Norwegian Black Metal scene and you know the rest. Pretty sad that today's Black Metal bands, such as Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Flith are fucking shitty.

Edited by Steiner Slovak

One song by each band is hard to come up with, but there is my list. I don't know if Venom or Celtic Frost will fall upon the Black Metal category but they are there as an influence of course. Mayhem itself shaped the Norwegian Black Metal scene and you know the rest. Pretty sad that today's Black Metal bands, such as Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Flith are fucking shitty.

Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky

Emperor - IX Equilibrium

Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism

Marduk - World Funeral

Nargaroth - Herbstleyd

I've been out of the whole black metal thing for 6 months or so now as it just doesn't do it for me anymore. But those are some suggestions for you from what I remember really liking.

Five bands, and five songs from each, straight outta my playlist:

1. Emperor

- Thus Spake The Nightspirit

- The Loss And Curse Of Reverence

- Cosmic Keys To My Creations & Times

- Wrath Of The Tyrant

- Ye Entrancemperium

2. Marduk

- Death Sex Ejaculation

- Dracul Va Domni Din Nou In Transilvania

- Baptism By Fire

- With Satan And Victorious Weapons

- Dreams Of Blood And Iron

3. Carpathian Forest

- The Angel And The Sodomizer

- Put To Sleep Like A Sick Animal

- Necrophiliac, Antropophagus Maniac

- Christian Incoherent Drivel

- Spill The Blood Of The Lamb

4. Naglfar

- Of Gorgons Spawned Through Witchcraft

- Enslave The Astral Fortress

- And The World Shall Be Your Grave

- As The Twilight Gave Birth To The Night

- Unleash Hell

5. Gorgoroth

- Destroyer

- (Under) The Pagan Megalith

- Crushing The Scepter (Regaining A Lost Dominion)

- The Devil, The Sinner And His Journey

- Maaneskuggens Slave

Dammit, I wanted to name at least two more :P Well, there you go.

I tried but I only named 4, and I don't think some of them are black metal. I don't like genres.

I think he wants more of the late 80's and 90's movement of Black Metal as opposed to most of the other stuff like, say, Rotting Christ who sound black but aren't part of the "movement". It's such a broad term since it's now applied to bands that sound like bands that were part of the movement in Norway.

Guest Steiner Slovak

Venom definately counts as Black Metal. The genre may have changed, but they fucking invented the shit.

Honestly, I love Cradle Of Filth, and enjoy Dimmu Borgir for the most part. Cradle may not really count as Black Metal anymore, as their style definately has moved on from that, but they're the frontrunners in getting it out to the masses, and if it weren't for them, I would not have even known about the genre.

I'm going into this, trying to take a stance that will allow me to be as un-bias as possible. Cradle of Filth is the only band that classifies as Black Metal that I listen to frequently... so the chances that they will place in my top 5 are pretty good, especially since they're the most mainstream act, the most accessible to new fans, and generally just pretty fucking awesome... but I'm hoping that in the next week or so I can find 2 or 3 bands to knock them back a few spots in my research for this Top 5.

Edited by Steiner Slovak

Since I'm no good with song titles from Black Metal bands, I'll just name albums

Emperor - Prometheus

Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon

Zyklon - World Ov Worms (dunno if strictly black metal, but meh)

Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness

Naglfar - Pariah

I'm more of a Death Metal man myself, so some of my picks are probably a little meh.

Is Akercocke anything like black metal?

Just wondering because we're supporting them in May.

YOU ARE SUPPORTING AKERCOCKE?

Fuck you man, they fucking rule!!

Ermm......they are Death Metal, though they are more progressive.

the London-based quintet Akercocke was formed in early 1997 by guitarist Jason Mendonca and drummer David Gray,

BWAHAHA.....David Gray :shifty:

Edited by rvdwannabe

Is Akercocke anything like black metal?

Just wondering because we're supporting them in May.

YOU ARE SUPPORTING AKERCOCKE?

Fuck you man, they fucking rule!!

Ermm......they are Death Metal, though they are more progressive.

the London-based quintet Akercocke was formed in early 1997 by guitarist Jason Mendonca and drummer David Gray,

Guest Dylan Summers

The only black metal band I listen to is Mayhem(unless you count Venom), so I'll list 5 of their songs:

1. Freezing Moon

2. Time To Die

3. Deathcrush

4. Pure Fucking Armageddon

5. Pagan Fears

Guest Steiner Slovak

The only black metal band I listen to is Mayhem(unless you count Venom), so I'll list 5 of their songs:

1. Freezing Moon

2. Time To Die

3. Deathcrush

4. Pure Fucking Armageddon

5. Pagan Fears

How the fuck did you know Rotting Christ was on my list?! :o

I also had Old Man's Child and Gorgoroth on there. :P

Because everybody who listens to Black Metal these days loves Rotting Christ.

Do they?

........ :unsure:

...*downloads some Rotting Christ*