Getting an mp3 player

SeanDMan

I have a one gig one... that's about 50 songs.

I hope that's a typo, I've got a 1GB iPod shuffle and I can get at least 250 tracks onto it. I don't really listen to a whole lot of music, so the shuffle does me fine, although if you've got a lot of songs and have a bit of cash to splash, you may as well get something with a larger capacity.

Urgh, yeah I was wrong... sorry about that, I have a 512 megabyte one.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...9393&CatId=1698

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...9396&CatId=1697

I paid $99.99 for mine and the second one there is the same size. :( Oh well, my iRiver is better quality.

Edited by Apple Shampoo

My ipod has worked fine since I got it, only problem I have is it scratches a lot, but that's my own fault for not getting something to protect it. And I've dropped it time and time again and it still works great.

I might look into an iriver, if no one has bad experiences with them.

Snag an iPod Nano. The flash memory insures that you'll have a minimum of problems with it breaking, and the iTunes software is second to none. Don't listen to people pimping Creative Zen and iRivers and Gigabeats and all that other crap; unless you have an excellent reason to not use them, iPods are still the MP3 player to beat in North America.

Guest Snyper

I have an Ipod Mini 4gb. Quite the sexy mp3 player. No problems, and like you I really don't have that many Mp3's. I thought of getting a 1gb model, but once you start putting music on it, 1gb goes really fast. I think I put around 1.5g the first day.

Should be able to get you a nice 4-6 gb Ipod Mini on ebay pretty cheap.

As far as I am concerned, iTunes is a pain in the ass, as are the iPods. I am in charge of updating three seperate iPod shuffles when the needs arises, and with three different people's musical interests on one of the computers, I run into problems with iTunes. I suppose it's alright if you are going to buy your music from the iTunes store, but I still don't see it being worth it. Ever 1 out of 5 times that I plug in any of the iPods to charge, it erases itself and instead of going through the simple proccess of dragging and dropping that iRiver uses, you have to put your songs on through iTunes.

The only feature that makes any sense to me is the one that automatically puts the songs that you listen to most on your player, but I don't use iTunes to listen to music so it's depending on whether ot not you do. iPods are big name, and high cost when you can get the same thing with an iRiver, as far as I can see it, at a lower cost.

Thank you Apple Shampoo. That's exactly the kind of thing I'd like to hear.

Only I can't use EBay. I have to buy it retail.

Still haven't got Paypal working? :ohwell:

I have an iRiver that I've had a year or two and it's still working brilliantly for me. I actually dropped it the other day, stepping out of my car (It fell out of my pocket), landed on the concrete driveway, and smacked the battery casing off. Slide the casing back on and it's still working perfectly. It's 256 MB's, so it holds about 60/70 songs. I know it's not exactly a lot, but theres stuff on it I haven't heard in ages, and i take it everywhere with me. How the hell people need 200+ songs at any one time is beyond me. Like Ap Sham says, it's simply dragging the files from your PC folder into the removable drive and you're good to go. It gets FM radio, can record from the mic, has random, program, etc all that stuff.

I can't really help you out pricewise, since I got mine as a free gift from work, but I think it's worth quite a lot. Amazon.com says it's worth about $100, but I can't find anything on the canadian page about it. I know you said it'd need to be retail, but it's just to give you and idea of the price.

Edited by Kaneanite

It's 256 MB's, so it holds about 60/70 songs. I know it's not exactly a lot, but theres stuff on it I haven't heard in ages, and i take it everywhere with me.

That's something that I don't understand about those ones that hold 5 gigabytes or such, unless you have a small hardrive and you decide to archive on the player itself. Every night or so I come home and review what I listen to or what to put on it and then I'm off for the next day with a new song line-up.

It's 256 MB's, so it holds about 60/70 songs. I know it's not exactly a lot, but theres stuff on it I haven't heard in ages, and i take it everywhere with me.

That's something that I don't understand about those ones that hold 5 gigabytes or such, unless you have a small hardrive and you decide to archive on the player itself. Every night or so I come home and review what I listen to or what to put on it and then I'm off for the next day with a new song line-up.

Yeah but for me I need 7/8 hours of music to get me through the day, (1 hour bus to college, 6 at college, 1 back) so having a large amount of songs to listen to can be good as it can reflect my mood throughout the day.

I understand the two hour bus trip, but you're going to sit with your MP3 player on for the entire duration of your time at college? Bullshit, it's unnecessary, stop making us feel inadequate >_>

But what if you've gone away, on holiday, business etc and suddenly think 'I haven't that album in yonks, pity I've left it at home'. Then you're done.

I've got a full 20gb iPod (2 year old and still rocking) which basically means I never have to go hunting for one of my CD's, and can listen to whatever in the car.