Commonwealth Games

Although the Commonwealth Games is hardly the greatest sporting event ever, it's still good value and competitive international sporting events always work for me (Even if Scotland were topping the medal table for a while).

With Swimming and Cycling providing the first medals England and Australia will probably go to the top and stay there for most of the championships. (Y)

So anyone watching it?

I saw the 1k cycling time trial this morning where England got a 1, 2, 3 but then again we ARE the best cycling nation in the world and Australia are probably the second best so the cycling may well be the highest quality competition, along with the rugby.

Also stayed up 'til 2am last night to watch the first England rugby 7s match because my wife's second cousin (Richard Haughton) plays for England - tall lanky mixed-race guy with an afro...Classy. :)

The main problem is.....It's in Australia.

I have to get up in the morning and so now, at 1:20am I need to go to bed.

Thing is it's still morning in Aus and the swimming has just started let alone anything else....Curses, I'll miss most things this year.

I'm just loving the fact that our men destroyed the Aussie men in the pool...Shows Aus swimming relies solely on Thorpe and Hackett.

Some events are high quality while some are awful.

So for example cycling quality is just as high as the olympics as Britain and Australia are the best two cycling teams anyway.

Also the hockey standard is pretty much olympic standard, and also shooting.

Because Britain and Aus always do pretty well at the Olympics (normally both countries are in the top six or seven medal winning nations) it was always gonna be a case of an Aus/England one two.

I'm just loving the fact that our men destroyed the Aussie men in the pool...Shows Aus swimming relies solely on Thorpe and Hackett.

So for example cycling quality is just as high as the olympics as Britain and Australia are the best two cycling teams anyway.

Because Britain and Aus always do pretty well at the Olympics (normally both countries are in the top six or seven medal winning nations) it was always gonna be a case of an Aus/England one two.

Australian men swimming, thank you very much. Our women swimmers are owning all in the pool. Liesel Jones, Libby Lenton (who is going out/engaged with my Dad's best friend's nephew ;)), Alice Mills etc.

We also got the 1-2-3 in the Women's 20km walk yesterday, with 1 and 2 being sisters. So nyah :P

Oh I know that. It's nice to be a high second really. It does surprise me how good the Aussies tend to be at sports in general.

Let's see.

Cricket: We are number one in the world, in both forms of the game, despite losing the Ashes (for what, the first time in a decade or two?). We just have one or two selection problems

League: We're probably best in the world as well, despite not winning the Tri-Nations, but again, selection problems as Bennett continued to pick 'his boys'

Union: In the top 3 or 4, New Zealand and South Africa (maybe even England too >_>) pip us here

Soccer: Eh, middle-ish. We're better than what we're ranked (50th or so), but we're not great. It'll be interesting to see how we go in the World Cup

Swimming: Number one in the world by far when we have our all top guns swimming

Tennis: In Davis Cup terms, we're up with the best, but our only Top 5 person in either Men's or Women's is Hewitt, though we do have a few coming through

Golf: Not as good as we were when Norman went around, but we still have people like Scott, Allenby, Pampling etc. winning tournaments here and there

And I'm running out of sports to talk about >_>

But yeah, overall, we're a very sporty nation, considering we only have a population of around 20 million. Much better than England anyway ;) Even if our International sport in 2005 was horrible (lost the cricket, union, league etc.).

I recon that if NZ was the size of Australia, we would own you in sports and you know it. You guys have 5 times our population yet we still regularly beat you in Rugby, ODI cricket and other sports which I can't think of right now. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything but, yeah.

Okay tell me if I'm wrong but to get into the Olympics a sport needs to be played by a high enough percentage of the competing countries (which is why squash and Rugby Sevens don't get into the Olympics right?)

If that's the case, how many countries actually DO Greco-Roman wrestling? It's such a non-sport!

I recon that if NZ was the size of Australia, we would own you in sports and you know it. You guys have 5 times our population yet we still regularly beat you in Rugby, ODI cricket and other sports which I can't think of right now. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything but, yeah.

Yes, because the US is a huge country that rocks at football, cricket and rugby.

What has size got to do with it?