WEST WING: BOXY VS MILLIGAN

B0XY versus Milligan

Story: You've been accepted as a freelance graphics artist by a film company, and they want you to design for them a promotional poster for their upcoming movie, _________. The design will be featured in movie theaters wherever the movie is being shown, so they especially want you to do a good job with it.

Basic Rules: Create a movie poster for whatever upcoming movie you'd like or, if there are none that you're interested in doing, create one for your favorite movie. Take a look at actual theater promotional posters for movies before you make one, though... remember: the more professional the design, the better the results.

Restrictions: Credits for the film are optional, but you MUST have the names of at least one or two main actors/actresses featured in the movie featured somewhere on the poster, as well as the name/logo of the movie itself.

Size: 600x860

Deadline: Sunday, March 26th

The "S" logo is cut poorly expecially on the left side, also theres a blue swatch that probably shouldn't be there on the far left as well.

Theres something on top of Superman's left hand and it needs to be cleaned up.

Work with the color balance to get things more on the same level as it stands the "S" logo is too bold and bright while Superman and the earth are not.

The last thing is that you have too many light sources. Work with the lighting and try to get things to flow a little better. (Ie Superman's cape has light hitting it from the top right but its not reflected onto the "S" at all)

Other than that its a good looking graphic and the placement of things is good. Just needs a bit of work. :)

Red x, try uploading it to the boards. You can do so by selecting 'Attach Files' and picking the file from your computer.

You can only do that in this forum as a non-donator (Y)

BOXZY

-------------

Pros: Placement, general layout to the poster and the way you've set everything up really does fit well for Superman.

Cons: The Superman Logo, as has been said, is horribly cut. What people neglect to mention is that also the picture you've used with Superman throws off the balance of the poster as a whole--- everything is centered, and Superman's cape is flapping off to the side. I'd have gone with a frontal shot instead, keeping things center. Also, your fonts are too small-- "WHEN THE WORLD NEEDS A HERO..." could really use a bit of upsizing, as could "RETURNS 2006". The actor names seem alright though.

DIGITALLYFADED

-------------

Pros: My God, what you've done with the actors names is insanely clever, a very nice change of pace from the traditional side-style name placement. Colors work really well considering the movie, and the logo placement is nice. Also, I like the faded shot of them in the background for some reason, it really helps tie everything together.

Cons: I think the effect you've gone with for the primary cut of the group is ugly, it sorta offsets the poster a bit. Maybe make it a bit less bold? Also, the edges around the 'snatch' text of the logo are a bit blurry, coulda done a bit of a better job cutting there, as it makes the logo look a bit off.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

BOXzy really had a nice idea for a Superman poster, and it really would have came off well... had he executed it the right way. Unfortunately, what seemed to be a nice, simple idea was weighed down by poor logo cutting and poor picture selecting, off-setting the center balance the poster has to it.

digitallyfaded, on the other hand, did an excellent job making his poster *feel* like a poster, and shown alot less sloppyness in comparison to BOXzy. I don't really like how bold the effect he used on the primary group cut is, but the idea of the poster as a whole was quite nice. Probably my favorite use of actor names on posters yet, too... so simple, yet so clever and well-done.

I'm giving this to digitallyfaded, as in the end his seems not only like a better poster, but that he put more care and effort into it. BOXzy's was weighed down with poor logo cutting, as I've said, and an off-center picture of ol'Superman. Would have looked so much better with a frontal centered shot, really.

Thanks for participating to the both of you, thanks for the replacement to digital, and congrats as well... please come again next time, BOXzy :)