Elderscrolls IV Oblivion

EWRFan

So I got the game when it came out for the PC. Bought the Collector's Edition and it is a good buy if you like extras. DVD with making of the game, a 112 page guide to the empire, which contains nice historical bits about Tamriel and a bronze coin that resembles the ones used for currency in the game.

My first character was an Orc Warrior with some thief skills. 20 hours later I realized I wanted more stealing and sneaking and decided to start again. So I created a Wood Elf Thief/Assasin with magic support and have had a blast for my first six hours. I barely touched the main quest with my first character and I have done nothing with my second.

I have had so much fun with sneaking and stealing around Imperial City. One of my main skills is Alchemy and I had a blast stealing ingredients from The Main Ingredient, then brewing them into potions and selling them back to him! I am already at level 4, since my main skills are security, sneaking and alchemy and I have used them a lot.

So what have been your experience thus far? I know a lot of people have issues with the requirements, I did even on a PC with 3.2 Ghz processor, 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6800 graphics card and 2 GB of RAM. I am running it in Bloom mode with almost all settings set to high and I have had a solid performance with minor frame rate issues. I suggest you head over to the Bethesda Forums since they have a lot of tips to increase performance by editing the Oblivion.Ini file.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't got it myself, but my mate was playing it when I went round to his place a few days ago. It looks fun.

The Ragdoll Animation is awesome. Shooting people off the top of hills and watching them roll all the way down never gets old, and niether does paralyzing people and pushing them off cliffs.

But yeah, other than the sweet graphics, I haven't seen much to comment on. Definately looks a million times better than Boreowind thing.

Guest clintcasey

The thing about Oblivion that you need to keep in mind is that everyone you fight is scalled compared to your level. The trick to kicking ass is to be realy strong "for your level". If you stick to only using your main skills too much you'll be screwed later on in the game.

I myself have built a Redguard assassin for my character and the first thing I did after getting past the begining of the game was I went out and got vampirism.

I dont recommend the 360 version. Many bugs have been reported, some of them make certain quests imposible and their is a rumor in the Bethesda forums that the 360 might not get a patch at all. The PC version is your best bet....demanding, but has a better chance of getting fixed.

So I am doing the Mages Guild recomendation quests. I want my thief to be good with spells also, as my main protection. But now I need a freakin' alteration teacher or otherwise I cant move on.

Guest clintcasey

What can you say man, its next gen is finaly starting to bear fruit. This next console generation is going to go a long way into determining the future of PC games now that the consoles can compete on their level.

Yeah very demanding, considering I bought a top of the line PC in January and I still cant run it with everything set on high and have a steady frame rate. It does look good, on par with the XBOX 360, but not better than it like other games I have. Like I said, search the Elderscroll forums for tips on how to improve performance, believe me, they are helpful.

So far I am on the fourth mission of the Thieves Guild and I have one more recomendation quest left to complete to enter the Mages Guild. I have spent a lot of time just randomly casting spells to increase their respective stats. I also have not touched on the main quest and I am already level 7...something I dislike. I have done too much stealing and sneaking and it seems that I level up a lot without being that strong. I have faced several near death experiences already. But that is why being a thief is hard, because your health and defense are low and you need to be good at sneak attacks and with a bow. I am pretty good at it, but too many of the quests force a more hands on approach.

Can somebody answer this question: Does the Fighter's Guild Quests require heavy close combat capabilities, or can a good marksman/sneaker sucessfully complete them?

Guest clintcasey

You could probably get by on sneak if your realy realy good at it. Whats your sneak at right now? If its above 75 you can sneak attack with any set of boots on while running. You might also consider going after vampirism, its realy nice. As long as you feed at least once every three days you can walk out in the sun and it wont hurt you and it also gives darkvission so you can see perfectly in the dark way out into the distance. Theres another side to this too though, if you go for three days without feeding you start to gain additional powers, the sun light will start hurting you, but you'll become a bigger bad ass and be more powerfull. Not only that but over time you begin to look more and more beast like. And if you ever want to go back to normal you just feed again and you go back to normal health and you start looking normal again.

I was a vampire with my first character, but it started to get on the way, specially on long exploration quests. That's why I'd rather not become one again....for now. I am officially a mages guild member now. I also finally bought Soul Trap so I can capture souls and recharge my magical weapons.

The only most have is the UI mods....they make the font smaller and thus, more items fit in your inventory screen, making it easier to manage. They also have several different map mods for adding or eliminating markers and also make the map faster to scroll.

I've got it for the 360 and having played it for 14 or 15 hours I haven't really done anything at all. I've closed one Oblivion gate and am part way through the Thieves and Mages guild quests.

What I love doing though is going into one of the Mages Guild houses and attacking one of them. Having around five people chasing you around throwing spells at you and stuff as you try to escape is hella fun.

Just finished beating the Arena and now I have the house in the Waterfront(bought for 2000 GP) and a cool enchanred rainment.

*SPOILER*

In the Imperial Corruption quest, after you jail the corrupt watchman, he returns five days later to kill you! Yes, he breaks free of prison and chases you everywhere, but he is easy to kill since he is unarmored...but since I was level 8 he had an enchanted dagger and put up a good fight.

Game is definately fun, been playing it for 44 hours and am almost near the end of the Mages Guild storyline(meaning I got all of the recommendations.) I'm also doing rumour quests, almost done with the fighters guild and arena, and am not anywhere close to being done with the main quest. I am going to buy the 360 content download that allows you to get armor on your horses, 500 for each horse. Definately a fun game and worth reserving, one of the best single player experiences I've had.

A little update of where I stand:

I finished one more Thieves Guild mission, the one in which you need to steal a staff from the Mages Guild in order to remove Heronymus Lex from the Waterfront. Was really easy since I had acess to everything in the mages guild due to my wizard status.

I also did one more Mages Guild mission, the one in which the Bruma Guild was burned down by Mannimarco. Quite easy even with a ton of Skeleton Guardians around. I just dont like the fact that undead are vulnerable to sneak attacks. In D & D it aint like that and it makes it too easy. Basically I used my enchanted bow(with Fire, Frost and Shock damage enchatments) and blasted them down with one shot. Only three of them survived the sneak attack and then I put them down with my enchanted silver dagger (same effects as the bow + Soul Trap).

I also did some miscellaneous quests (the one in which you walk into someone's dream world was quite a chore) and started on the Dark Brotherhood quests(I have done three missions). TIP: Dark Brotherhood Quests+ Black Soul Gems+ Soul Trap is your friend. Incredibly powerful combination.

Question: To those who did the quest "Order of the Virtous Blood"...do they pay you for additional Vampire Dust? I cleared a cave full of them as part of the Mages Guild quest line, but the idiots wont offer me money for my Vampire Dust! OUTRAGE!

SPOILER!!!

If you sleep at the boat Inn in Imperial City, you enter a secret miscellaneous quest that has you dealing with some bandits. Pretty fun!