Major League Baseball

Toe

Anything that scores a run that ends the game at that point is a 'walk-off'. You can have walk off singles/doubles/triples/home runs. Hell, you can even have walk off sacrifices, HBP, and walks.

Oh, and in recent news, Boston is done, Los Mets are done, and the Dodgers are the best team in baseball.

Edited by DMN

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything that scores a run that ends the game at that point is a 'walk-off'. You can have walk off singles/doubles/triples/home runs. Hell, you can even have walk off sacrifices, HBP, and walks.

Oh, and in recent news, Boston is done, Los Mets are done, and the Dodgers are the best team in baseball.

The Yankees say "hello".

...You don't know how painful it was to type those above four words. But seriously, can anyone here see anybody beating the Yankees in October given the current situation of everything?

Edited by damshow

The only hope of catching up is if they get on fire in September. It's possible considering who they play. 8 games vs. Toronto, 6 vs. Baltimore, 3 vs. Kansas City. However, they do have a three game set vs. the Twins and the White Sox and one four game set against the (insert expletive laden comment about the) Yankees (here).

Might also be depending on the return of several injured guys ... most notably Jason Varitek. Since he's been down on the DL, the team went to shit.

Despite the Yankee's recent success, I still look at the Tigers as the team to beat. They've maintained the best record in the majors up until this point (despite baseball fans and sports writers alike consistently predicting a downfall or a fade). I'd say the series with Texas was a setback, but not exactly anything to panic over. We simply had a shitty offensive series with them, but to rebound and take two from the White Sox in the current series is a nice way to step it back up.

The relief pitching for the Tigers has been lights out as of late, plus we've gotten help from new bats. Sean Casey and Brent Clevlen have given the Tigers a huge offensive boost since their arrivals. Casey was traded for and Clevlen was part of the farm system for the Tigers. Hell, both have been exceptional defenders as well.

By the way, I can't even tell you all how weird/amazing this is to have a good baseball team finally. 1993 was the last time the Tigers had a winning record up until this point. The Tigers and Lions were lumped into that "well atleast we have the Wings and Pistons" category. Now it's looking like it's going to be "Atleast we have the Pistons and Tigers" with the Wings re-building and the Lions looking to prove they can win. If the Tigers manage to pull off the word series win the city of Detroit will be rocking for months.

I will admit that I thought that the Tigers were going to start fading sometime but other then a few hicups there hasnt been any spectacular burnouts to speak of. I figure that since Detriot has made it this far without a collapse they probably arent going anywhere for now. To tell you the truth I would much rather see Detriot win the division then the Chi-sox, there was just so many bandwagon fans jumping on last year and they were close to losing the division to Cleveland before there flameout last year. White sox fans last year just annoyed me for whatever reason, so screw them. :shifty:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Tigers make or win the World Series. I think it's been a long time coming for Detroit and they have one hell of a team this year.

The only team that could potentially beat them is the Yankees (cause Steinbrenner bought it). But I really dunno if that could happen.

As a Tigers fan, my biggest worry is the White Sox right now. I'm one to fear the defending champ until I'm proven otherwise. I know the Yankees are playing lights out ball, but they have had a tendency to implode in the playoffs in the recent years. A friend of my brothers did bring up a good point to us recently. For awhile we were in the mindset that "hey, if we get to the playoffs than hell yeah, great season". But with the way the Tigers have played all season, expectations are being raised. Who knows if the Tigers will be this good next year, who knows if adding another bat or pitching arm will put us over the top if we don't win it all. Now is the time to win it all, now is always the time to win it all. I wont be dissapointed if we lose (not like I was with the fucking Pistons) in the playoffs, but you can't always count on staying injury free or having unknown guys play beyond their potential (not a reference to Verlander, more of an in general reference).

No matter how you slice it though, the playoffs are going to be a lot of fun this year.

You are right. Playoffs do negate anything regular season, which is why I still sort of keep a cautiously optimistic outlook.

Just having a batting order with Konerko, Thome, and Dye scares the fuck out of me. Any of those guys can go off at any given time. Especially Dye this year.

I'm really hoping that the Twins somehow get ahead of the White Sox and steal the wild card spot from them. I doubt it will happen, but I would much rather have to deal with the Twins than White Sox in the playoffs.

You are right. Playoffs do negate anything regular season, which is why I still sort of keep a cautiously optimistic outlook.

Just having a batting order with Konerko, Thome, and Dye scares the fuck out of me. Any of those guys can go off at any given time. Especially Dye this year.

I'm really hoping that the Twins somehow get ahead of the White Sox and steal the wild card spot from them. I doubt it will happen, but I would much rather have to deal with the Twins than White Sox in the playoffs.

Anybody who has a team going to the playoffs is probably hoping for that.

The Rangers have an outside chance of the West, but nobody from the West is getting the Wild Card.

Guest Bosstown Boy

It looks like Pena could be added to the list of day-to-day injuries here. As long as we win every series up to the Yankees series we have a good shot at coming back, but we have to win every series.

Not with offense like tonight.