Major League Baseball

Toe

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were supposed to fade after the all-star break. They were probably going to miss the playoffs. They made it and nobody gave them a chance against the Yankees. When they soundly defeated the Yankees, some even doubted their ability to beat the A's. After the sweep, the Tigers are sitting atop the American League.

19 years of pain and losing seasons has been erased. The Tigers proved themselves worthy of the title "American League Champs" last night. At this point, I don't think anybody can stop them with the way their pitching has been. Great pitching, clutch hitting, and sound defense has made the Tigers a World Series contender.

Let's go Tigers.

In other news, Steve Lynos was fired for some comments he made about Lou Pinella. He also made fun of a nearly blind fan who was wearing a specail pair of glasses which he remarked "He's got a digital camera stuck to his face."

The comments about Lou where very racial.

Pinella hired by the Cubs is a good move, and word is that Lou read my mind. He wants A-Rod. The Cubbies can easily get him and pay him, and the Yanks would like to get rid of him at this point too. A-Rod will perform well under Sweet Lou, and if this is to happen I can see the Cubbies competing in the central next season. Still a long way to go though.

Macha getting fired is a joke.

CHICAGO (AP) -- Lou Piniella's coming to Wrigley Field, agreeing Monday to a three-year contract to manage the Chicago Cubs and accepting a job that has long been one of the most challenging in baseball.

His assignment: Get to the playoffs and win a championship with a franchise that hasn't been to a World Series since 1945 and hasn't won one since 1908.

"I feel terrific about Lou. I think he's a tremendous baseball man and a proven winner from the beginning of his career," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said Monday.

"I think he's absolutely the perfect choice as we move forward."

Piniella, who will be introduced Tuesday at a news conference, has a deal that is worth about $10 million.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I'm basically a blue-collar-type manager that believes in a good work ethic, preparation and a desire to win a baseball game," Piniella told the Chicago Sun-Times over the weekend in Detroit where he worked the ALCS for Fox TV.

Piniella replaces Dusty Baker, another veteran manager with a strong resume, who left after four years when his contract was not renewed following a 66-96 last-place finish in the NL.

Piniella has 19 years' experience managing in the big leagues with four teams -- the Yankees, Reds, Mariners and Devil Rays -- and said his work in TV and a year away from the dugout on a daily basis refreshed him.

Known for his fiery style and outbursts with umpires -- in which he's thrown his cap, flung a base and kicked dirt on the plate -- the Cubs hope Piniella can be the spark the team obviously lacked during the final two seasons of Baker's tenure.

Joe Girardi, fired by the Florida Marlins after one season and a former Cubs player, also interviewed for the job as did Cubs broadcaster and former Diamondbacks manager Bob Brenly. Mike Quade and Pat Listach, managers last season in the Cubs' farm system, also were interviewed.

But Piniella's experience, his toughness and run of success that included a 1990 World Series title with the Reds were obviously factors that impressed the Cubs.

The hiring of Piniella is the latest move in a Cubs' overhaul that began two weeks ago when chief executive Andy MacPhail resigned the day before Baker's contract was not renewed.

Now Hendry will begin refiguring his roster with decisions ahead on third baseman Aramis Ramirez, who can opt-out of his contract; center fielder Juan Pierre, who is a free agent; and oft-injured pitcher Kerry Wood. The club has a $13.75 million option on Wood, who is rehabbing a torn rotator cuff.

The 63-year-old Piniella has a record of 1,519-1,420 and was honored as AL manager of the year in 1995 and 2001.

He became the Cubs' top choice over Girardi, who had two different playing stints with the team that he broke in with in 1989.

The Cubs nearly reached the World Series three years ago, getting within five outs before a collapse against Florida in the NLCS. But Baker couldn't get the team back to the playoffs.

Piniella began managing in 1986 with the Yankees, where he lasted three years. He managed the Reds from 1990-92, leading them to a World Series championship in his first season. During his time in Cincinnati, he got national attention for a clubhouse wrestling match with reliever Rob Dibble.

From there it was on to a long run in Seattle from 1993-02. His 2001 team went 116-46 but lost in the ALCS to the Yankees. His 1995 and 2000 Mariners teams also were beaten in the league championship series. During his decade in Seattle, the Mariners won at least 90 games four times.

Piniella won 93 games his final season with the Mariners in 2002 before heading home to his native Tampa to try and build a winner for the Devil Rays.

But ultimately he had a difference of opinion with ownership and questioned management's commitment to winning before the team bought out the final year of his four-year contract.

Piniella had an 18-year career as a player, 11 of them with the Yankees, and was a career .291 hitter.

AP Baseball Writer Ben Walker in New York contributed to this report.

Source: Yahoo! Sports

Rumours are circulating that Lou wants to pick up A-Rod but honestly, he needs to worry about getting a reliable pitching rotation and trying to improve the batting as Aramis can't hold up any team on his own.

Edited by Joe Nobody

Even if the Tigers sweep its not even close to a lopsided World Series. Sure their pitching is good, but none of the guys there are fantastic. And with the Cards' and Mets' line-ups it is anything but lopsided. Could be one of the most ignorant baseball things I've read since....well, Macha getting canned.

Even if the Tigers sweep its not even close to a lopsided World Series. Sure their pitching is good, but none of the guys there are fantastic. And with the Cards' and Mets' line-ups it is anything but lopsided. Could be one of the most ignorant baseball things I've read since....well, Macha getting canned.

Edited by Mofoticon

Lopsided is a team that is simply head and shoulders above everyone. Think 1927 Yankees, or 1998 Yankees. A team like that... the Tigers, are not them... no matter what that little pea in your skull thinks.

I believe the Tigers will win too, The rotation is nice. But overall they are not a dominant team. If they were they would not have faultered down the stretch in the regular season. They have a decent line up and a good pitching staff. Their staff however is not hall of fame worthy, barnburning hurlers.

Even if there is a sweep, there is no way this is a lopsided World Series, that is just ignorant.

I think the Tigers lost focus down the stretch which lead to their downward spiral. I think the destruction of the A's and Yankee's shows that the Tigers have a pretty dominant pitching staff. Considering one of the pitchers is a rookie and the other is only 23, it says quite a bit for the rotation. Kenny Rogers is playing his best post season ball, and Nate Robertson is typically rock solid. The bull-pen will be much improved for the Word Series with Joel Zumaya being fully healed (a dominant fire baller), he will be re-joining Ledezma, Walker, and Jones, all of which have done a great job of keeping the Yanks and A's at bay.

I'd also wager that the line-up is better than decent. Quite a few of the hitters put up very good numbers, nothing MVP worthy, but still deserving of being on a playoff team. I'd say the line up is good, a bunch of good players in a good line up, with a mix of veterans and young guys.

I think depth has been a major key for the Tigers success as well as lights out pitching and clutch hitting to sum it all up.

It wont be lopsided, but the Tigers have been vastly superior than their opponents in the post season thus far.

If the Yankees are really looking to move A-Rod, being a Cardinals fan I think that they should look into seeing if the Yankees would be interested in Scott Rolen. They don't need much offense, and Rolen is known for his great defensive play.

I'm not saying it's likely, but it at least is something that they could look into.