Brokeback Mountain Banned in Various Countries

DaveKOTW

The Bahamian Plays and Films Control Board ruled the film should not be shown because it features "extreme homosexuality, nudity and profanity".

The Rainbow Alliance called it "a farce" that a small group of people should try to "provide the moral compass for the entire country".

The film has also been effectively banned in China.

The government there refused to put it on a list of approved foreign films to be shown in Chinese cinemas, preventing it being shown in public.

Making choices

The film, which won director Ang Lee an Oscar, follows two cowboys as they embark on a long and complicated love affair set amongst the backdrop of conservative America.

Lee himself, who is from Taiwan, said the film tackles how gay men and women have found love denied to them by society.

The Bahamian film board said the film was of "no value for the Bahamian public".

But a theatre director from the islands, Philip Burrows, said: "You have a group of people who are telling grown men and women what they can and cannot watch.

"I cannot understand denying people the right to make their own choices."

Edited by DaveKOTW

The movie has "no value to the Bahamian public" apparently. Really?!

I'd say it's got a damn sight more value than half the shit that Hollywood turns out. How the fuck is it of less value than, say, The Ringer or The Pink Panther?

Unless the Bahamian Film Board has banned them too, in which case I'll stand corrected. Doubt it though.

It's sad, really, that a film that deals with homosexuality so tastefully and with artistic integrity, and portrays homosexuals as something other than the typical Hollywood "camp hairdresser/model" stereotype can cause all this controversy. It's not even remotely obscene.

The movie has "no value to the Bahamian public" apparently. Really?!

I'd say it's got a damn sight more value than half the shit that Hollywood turns out. How the fuck is it of less value than, say, The Ringer or The Pink Panther?

Unless the Bahamian Film Board has banned them too, in which case I'll stand corrected. Doubt it though.

It's sad, really, that a film that deals with homosexuality so tastefully and with artistic integrity, and portrays homosexuals as something other than the typical Hollywood "camp hairdresser/model" stereotype can cause all this controversy. It's not even remotely obscene.

They jump off a cliff into water naked. Not only is that nudity, it's also reckless endangerment, and possibly public drunkeness. What kind of example do you want to set for the Bohemian people? That gay people can go jump off a cliff?

They jump off a cliff into water naked. Not only is that nudity, it's also reckless endangerment, and possibly public drunkeness. What kind of example do you want to set for the Bohemian people? That gay people can go jump off a cliff?

This is hillarious

Some commentators have voiced concerns about the coverage of the movie's homosexual theme in the mass media both in advertising and in public events, such as press conferences and award ceremonies. Several journalists, including New York Daily News writer Wayman Wong, Dave Cullen [25], and Daniel Mendelsohn [26], have complained that the movie's director, lead actors, and publicity team all avoided using the word "gay" to describe the story, and pointed out that the movie trailer does not show the two male leads kissing each other but does include a clip from a heterosexual love scene.

I'm going to stab Rk in the eyes with a rusty butter knife until he apologies for insulting The Pink Panther. Peter Sellers would kill you in a fight, RK :@

Peter Sellers would kill you in a fight, RK :@

Actually, when it popped up an advert on TV, my dad said "thats one I won't be saying", to which I replied "looks like just another love story, but with cowboys." He said they were gay cowboys and I didn't believe him.

You see Anne Hathaway's boobs for like a second in Brokeback Mountain.

But besides that, anyone who is offended by this is pretty stupid. Maybe they should watch the movie and realize that there are about 5 minutes which are really "gay" and the rest is just them struggling with it. It almost makes homosexuality look like a bad thing to have. Use it as propaganda homophobes, to show the evils of homosexuality.

Sorry for the mini-rant. I hope I got my point across though.