Shearer announces retirement

Liam

Shearer announces end of career

Newcastle captain Alan Shearer has confirmed his career has been "finished" by a knee injury.

The 35-year-old tore his knee ligaments at Sunderland on Monday and has been ruled out for the rest of the season, prompting his planned retirement.

"I'm finished now," Shearer told The Sun. "I won't be able to play the last three games and that is disappointing.

"But I'm not complaining, how could I? I have great memories. I've got no regrets, it's been a great career."

Shearer picked up the injury at the home of Newcastle's arch-rivals, Sunderland's Stadium of Light, minutes after scoring a penalty.

The former England captain remained optimistic he would be able to kick a ball before the end of the season but a scan on Friday confirmed the worst.

Sheared said: "There's a tear in the medial ligament which, although it does not require an operation, means I will be in a knee brace for a few weeks.

"Deep down I knew when I limped out of the Stadium of Light that it was probably the end and I think the fans knew it as well."

"Some people think it was a fantastic way to go out anyway by scoring in our 4-1 win at Sunderland. I think they might be right."

Shearer is still hopeful that he will be able to play some part in his testimonial against Celtic at St James's Park on 11 May.

The 35-year-old left Blackburn to join his hometown club Newcastle in the summer of 1996 for a then world-record fee of £15m.

Shearer has scored 206 goals in 404 appearances for Newcastle to eclipse Jackie Milburn's record and become the club's top goalscorer.

He is also the Premiership's leading goalscorer of all-time with over 250 goals.

After an 18-year career, Shearer's only major trophy is the Premiership title he won with Blackburn in the 1994/95 season.

The striker turned down a move to Manchester United to join Newcastle and despite winning no silverware with the Magpies, he insists he has no regrets.

"It doesn't matter that I didn't win a trophy because I did it my way and I lived the dream," Shearer said.

"My dream as a kid was to play for Newcastle United and to score goals at St James' Park.

"Playing for the club is everything and no-one can take that away from me."

Shearer had planned to retire at the end of last season but was persuaded to stay on by then manager Graeme Souness for one more year.

The striker was never tempted out of international retirement despite repeated calls to reverse the decision he made after Euro 2000.

After making his England debut against France in 1992, Shearer went on to score 30 goals in 63 appearances.

In domestic competition, he netted a total of 379 goals in 733 appearances - in a career encompassing spells at Southampton, Blackburn and Newcastle.

Arguably the best English centre forward of our generation, I'ma huge Shearer fan, and it's a shame that we won't see anymore of him in competitive football.

Awesome. No worrying about people getting elbowed when challenging for headers.

Great news. :D

........*sigh*

Which centre forwards don't do that?

Although I'll admit that Shearer was one of the "cuter" players when it comes to getting the majority of 50/50 challenges with defenders go his way free-kick wise.

:wub: Would have been good to have him see out the rest of the season, but it's somewhat poetic that his last game is against Sunderland. We won the game, he scored, he scored a penalty (Having missed his last agaisnt Sunderland). I love Alan Shearer. He's one fo the closest things to a God I've got. Oh how I miss the days of him and Les Ferdinand in their prime (With Asprilla doing whatever the fuck he did, as well).

I've always thought of him as a bit of a cunt, both on and off the field, but its a shame to see his career end this way.

Maybe its because I generally love the guy, but I don't get why people would think he was a cunt, definitely with regards to off the pitch stuff (he doesn't really do a lot......aside from complaining about that Grimsby player elbowing him earlier this season, which the bloke did). He just seems likeable to me, especially as a pundit (in so far as he isn't aggravating like some).

I find it weird that people find big, powerful centre forwards like Shearer and Drogba (as a current example, I guess) as "dirty". It is not like he went around stamping on people, launching two footed challenges at people or punching them, he just got stuck in which to me isn't that big a deal. Hell, I'm sure he got kicked/shoved/elbowed around more than his fair share as well, cos thats the kinda game he played. To me, thats how a centre forward plays the game, especially when you lack real pace like Shearer does.

Guest muddatrucker

Drogba isnt the best comparrison since he is infact a dirty cunt, I liked him for England but I never much liked him after retiring internationally, oh well.

He's a mouthy, snide cunt on the pitch. I'd like to ask Ruud Guillit his opinion as well.

As I said before, I think its more a case of him being "cute" about stuff rather than snide, necessarily. He generally plays within the letter of the law and was good at getting decisions his way when it came to defender vs attacker clashes. As a captain, I also think he is allowed to complain more than the other players (again, a letter of the law interpretation, as captains are given more rights to that kinda stuff then other players on the pitch). Guess you either liked it or you didn't.

Gullit sucked as Newcastle boss, so when he dropped Shearer and they continued to lose (IIRC) it was kinda the last straw. If you are already failing, falling out with your top goal scorer and the clubs favourite player AND still not getting any results is never going to look good.