Later Is Back!

Steeb

This Friday. Guests include The Zutons and motherfucking PEARL JAM~! 11:35pm, BBC2.

I have to say, I can't think of a single music show on TV - besides Guerrilla Gig, which doesn't seem to be returning :( - that even touches this show. It's just a great, eclectic collection of live music, done in a great atmosphere.

So yeah, watch it.

This Friday. Guests include The Zutons and motherfucking PEARL JAM~! 11:35pm, BBC2.

I have to say, I can't think of a single music show on TV - besides Guerrilla Gig, which doesn't seem to be returning :( - that even touches this show. It's just a great, eclectic collection of live music, done in a great atmosphere.

So yeah, watch it.

"Later" as in...with Jools Holland? It's late and I'm tired so...I'unno...

Nice. Definately never enough boogy-woogy piano. However I wish Jools would stop being so 'nicey-nice' I just wish (FOR ONCE) he'd turn around to one of the shitty bands he has on (Normally some 'ethnic' band) and say "Jesus christ...you're fucking shit".

A few groups I really like I heard first on Later...

I also saw KT Tunstall on there before she became well known. She kept recording what she played and playing it back in a loop. Genius.

Shame I dislike her stuff in the cold light of day...

I love Later. Any show that can try and showcase James Cunt before he got big, and just have him totally upstaged by Rufus Wainwright and Son Of Dave is a-ok with me :P

It is seriously the greatest music program in existence. And made better by the fact that Jools is clearly steaming. All the time.

Steaming? Sorry, I'm not good with the 'street-terms' these days. >_>.

Corrine Bailey Rae is also on this week, as well as Jenny Lewis (Of Rilo Kiley fame, IIRC) And The Watson Twins.

David Gilmour is lined up for....next week I think it is? Looks a really good series from the site.

Steaming? Sorry, I'm not good with the 'street-terms' these days. >_>.

Corrine Bailey Rae is also on this week, as well as Jenny Lewis (Of Rilo Kiley fame, IIRC) And The Watson Twins.

David Gilmour is lined up for....next week I think it is? Looks a really good series from the site.

Steaming means drunk. It's a bit of local slang, I think, I tend to use it impulsively without really thinking that no one'll know what I'm on about...

I've never heard of The Watson Twins, but Jenny Lewis should be fantastic, and I've only heard one Corrine Bailey Rae song, but I've heard great things about her.

And laughing at old man Gilmour's always fun :P

EDIT: CSAMH beat me to the steaming definition, so I guess it's not as colloquial as I thought.

Edited by Skumfrog

A few groups I really like I heard first on Later...

I also saw KT Tunstall on there before she became well known. She kept recording what she played and playing it back in a loop. Genius.

Shame I dislike her stuff in the cold light of day...

Steaming means drunk. It's a bit of local slang, I think, I tend to use it impulsively without really thinking that no one'll know what I'm on about...

I've never heard of The Watson Twins, but Jenny Lewis should be fantastic, and I've only heard one Corrine Bailey Rae song, but I've heard great things about her.

Wow. That was great. OK, questions and thoughts, in no particular order, go.

What was Eddie playing the opening part to WWS using? Looked like a tennis ball of some kind, but I'm not sure.

The Ved' is twice as good when he's not playing guitar simultaneously, IMO.

The Zutons pleased me, much to my surprise. Their second track was really good, but reminded me a lot of 70's(ish) Funk-Pop sort of thing, with the structure and sound.

The Watson Twins have great voices, and are attractive. Mmmm. Jenny Lewis didn't let down at all either. And handclaps in songs? Bonus points. Lack of Jools mentioning The Watson Twins more than once? Loss of those bonus points.

Jamie Foxx does my fucking skull in. Seems to try too hard. Maybe it's just me. Although the little mini-duet with him and Jools was top notch.

The Spinto Band are actually pretty good. I thought the kazoos in the first track were a great idea, but the second track was far better, with the vocals being of a higher quality, IMO.

Corrine Bailey Rae bored me. Stupid amounts. I actually couldn't bring myself to watch when it came to the third performance, so I switched over to the Album Chart Show >_>.

The Ved' laughing at his old self upset me a bit, as I loved his old presence and such.

Jools seemed to be straight tonight. Not 'steaming' as you say. Might just be me though.

The camerawork was appalling at times, with them letting Jools get half out of shot on occasion.

I had shivers going down my spine for the entire of 'Alive'. McCready playing one of my favourite solos of all time behind his head made me very happy indeed. The Ved' dancing with CBR made me laugh. She seemed a little scared at first, got into it though.

Think that's everything, pretty much. Matisyahu is on next week according to Newsnight - who absolutely slated him, by the way.

What did everyone else think?