Stephen Colbert

Pepsi

Anyone see this on CNBC? One of the funniest thing's I've ever witnessed. Bush looked like he was gonna jump out of his chair and kill him. :lmao:

"This administration is not sinking, they are soaring, if anything they're re-arranging the deckchairs on the Hindenberg."

I watched it yesterday on youtube but it has since been taken down because of copyright infringement.

However, here is the full transcript, including the audition tape of Stephen as Press Secretary (which did have a few parts cut out of what was shown last night on the Colbert Report).

Transcript here

Guest Bluesman

A lot of the humor itself alone wasn't that great, but it was more the fact that he was saying all of that while all those assholes had to sit there and take it.

I do love how people are trying to say it wasn't funny because no one there was laughing...no shit, he was ripping on everyone there. Even if they laughed I think at some points they really wouldn't have been able to, just at the sheer shock of it.

A lot of the humor itself alone wasn't that great, but it was more the fact that he was saying all of that while all those assholes had to sit there and take it.

I do love how people are trying to say it wasn't funny because no one there was laughing...no shit, he was ripping on everyone there. Even if they laughed I think at some points they really wouldn't have been able to, just at the sheer shock of it.

Ugh. I hate the logic that if no one's laughing, it's not funny. That's always the argument behind canned laughter, this misguided belief that if no one else is laughing, you don't know when you're supposed to laugh. You laugh when it's FUNNY, dipshit.

And this is excellent, for just the reason Bluesman said.

Guest Professor Kou

If only I had the testicular mass that Mr. Colbert has.

Then again my legs probably wouldn't be able to hold the weight of his mighty balls.

Stuff

Speaking of which...

Tucker Carlson being completely out of touch

...oh man. Talk about not getting the memo.

Guest Bluesman

Colbert has went after him quite a bit too, which no doubt plays a role.

All week I've been checking out Salon's War Room, and reading the shit that they post about people trashing Colbert's performance. It's amazing the lengths they will go to rationalize how bad Colbert's performance was, how it wasn't that important and news-worthy, etc. I favorite may be this one, for obvious reasons:

"While it may have shocked the President to hear someone talk so openly about his misdeeds in the setting of the correspondents dinner — joking about "the most powerful photo-ops in the world" and NSA wiretaps — I somehow doubt that Bush has never heard these criticisms before"

I almost wonder how much jealousy plays a role, with Colbert saying what they wouldn't and/or couldn't. Obviously it's incredibly questionable whether or not someone as sheltered as Bush is (maybe they should start doing the same when Rummy speaks) has been seriously confronted with something like this, and even more questionable whether it was done in such a belittling manner.

I think it's actually great as a form of self-fulfilling prophecy at work:

Throughout the Bush years, two of the major knocks about it are that they are, in layman's terms, "fucking clueless" and that, in addition, they have no sense of what the average American is like.

They hire Colbert, he does his thing, and they get pissed off at it. This proves that, since they're angry at his comedy, they logically must have hired him thinking that he was a legitimate right-wing pundit when anyone who's even seen a little bit of Colbert knows that his entire gimmick is that he's making fun of right wing pundits (in short, proving the Bush Administration is fucking clueless), and moreover, that there was also no one in the place who knew that this was Colbert's gimmick to tell them (in short, proving they're out of touch with the average American...)

I think it's actually great as a form of self-fulfilling prophecy at work:

Throughout the Bush years, two of the major knocks about it are that they are, in layman's terms, "fucking clueless" and that, in addition, they have no sense of what the average American is like.

They hire Colbert, he does his thing, and they get pissed off at it. This proves that, since they're angry at his comedy, they logically must have hired him thinking that he was a legitimate right-wing pundit when anyone who's even seen a little bit of Colbert knows that his entire gimmick is that he's making fun of right wing pundits (in short, proving the Bush Administration is fucking clueless), and moreover, that there was also no one in the place who knew that this was Colbert's gimmick to tell them (in short, proving they're out of touch with the average American...)

In fairness to Tucker Carlson (and I am anything but a fan), he's sort of right when he says that Colbert wasn't that funny. Ballsy, hells yes. But Colbert's opening monologue schtick drawn out over 25 minutes really gets old around halfway through. On The Colbert Report he's doing a sharp satire of Bill O'Reilly and FOX News. At the press correspondent's dinner he was just telling a really long one note joke.

Guest Bluesman

In fairness to Tucker Carlson (and I am anything but a fan), he's sort of right when he says that Colbert wasn't that funny. Ballsy, hells yes. But Colbert's opening monologue schtick drawn out over 25 minutes really gets old around halfway through. On The Colbert Report he's doing a sharp satire of Bill O'Reilly and FOX News. At the press correspondent's dinner he was just telling a really long one note joke.