Ok, so one last poll tonight....

Liam

Which do you prefer?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Before BSSM RHCP
    • After BSSM RHCP

Sparked by the reaction by some to the new RHCP album, I thought I'd run with this.

BloodSugarSexMagic is generally touted as RHCP's best album, but pre and post that are two totally different bands in the way that they sound. Which do you prefer?

Before. The appeal to me was always that they were this wild, energetic band, combining aspects of punk rock with funk and, to a lesser extent, hip-hop and metal, something that hadn't really been done before, and they released a lot of incredible music during that period.

After, they had the odd decent tune, mostly off Californication, but nothing as good as Breaking The Girl, Suck My Kiss or Under The Bridge off BSSM (I can't stand Give It Away, by the way...), or Pretty Little Ditty before that.

After.

Don't ask me why.

Just prefer the songs.

Skummy and I representing I see. :shifty:

I went with pre-BSSM. I loved the whole fun edge they had. I too agree with Skumfrog saying they seems a lot more energetic back then. However I also adore the latest album, but Californication (The album, the song is really good) and By The Way (Album and song) both did very little at all for me.

Pre-BSSM. No question. By The Way, Californication, etc. don't even begin to hold a candle to albums like Mother's Milk and Uplift Mofo Party Plan.

Party On Your Pussy/Special Secret Song Inside > *

Before. The appeal to me was always that they were this wild, energetic band

You're telling me they're NOT energetic in their performances these days?

For me I always tout afterwards, but their are a LOT of good tracks before it. I personally think that post BSSM they kicked into gear and knew what they wanted from their music and still enjoyed making it, and you can tell that.

Even though I really like BSSM and One Hot Minute, brilliant album and really overlooked, I'll say before. Hillel Slovak was amazing and the band seemed to have an edge about them, even on Mothers Milk post-Slovak. Now they just make drab, elevator music with the odd exceptional song.

Before. The appeal to me was always that they were this wild, energetic band

You're telling me they're NOT energetic in their performances these days?

For me I always tout afterwards, but their are a LOT of good tracks before it. I personally think that post BSSM they kicked into gear and knew what they wanted from their music and still enjoyed making it, and you can tell that.

They're energetic in their live performances, sure, but on record they just sound listless, whereas BSSM and before was really music to get your blood pumping. Nowadays, they're missing that.