Top 25 most important bands of 1981-2006

Liam

Being a British magazine and all... shouldn't the Manic Street Preachers be on? I mean they actually did a lot for a simple three-piece art-rock band and were considered ahead of their time:

• Richies disappearence was a big thing at the time

• They were MCR (but better) before MCR was even a thought

• Dealt in politics before RATM

• Wrote amazing songs for the generation

• Loyal fan-base

• A number of hits throughout their timespan

Meh i know that that might not look to be much, but the fact remains that MSP were completely unique and that they should be at least noticed for their contribution to the music industry

That being said, maybe they just weren't "big" enough to be put on a list like that, I mean, they were nothing compared to the Metallicas and Green Days of the time.

I love the Manics, but they changed nothing. Richie's disappearance was a big thing, sure, but why wouldn't it be? Moderately successful band, one of the members disappears, reasonable enough reason for media coverage. Doesn't make them particularly important.

They're nothing like MCR. They have absolutely nothing in common with them, other than the fact that they're a band who occassionally dealt with songs about self-harm and teenage angst, but the Manics did it far more intelligently than MCR have ever done, and had far more to them than that. The comparison falls short, and there's no causal link between the two.

Yeah, they dealt in politics before RATM, but so did The Clash. So did Bob Dylan. So did the Sex Pistols. So did Tom Robinson. So did U2. Plenty of bands deal with politics, the Manics didn't change anything there, and their songs didn't exactly change the world's perception of politics. Not important.

Great songs (in the early days) and a loyal fanbase isn't enough to justify yourself as one of the most important bands of the last 25 years. Not to mention that they're not really a "Kerrang" band.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the Smiths, Stone Roses and New Order are pretty important, but I guess they're more indie than heavy rock.