Top 25 most important bands of 1981-2006

Liam

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also would have put Twisted Sister somewhere in the top25 for their battles with Tipper Gore. Having the parental advisory sticker gave metal some more gusto. That was fairly significant in my mind.

Edited by The Man They Call Tristy

I guess this is alright, considering it's Kerrang. I'm surprised to see Fugazi up there at all, I don't know if I'd put them that high, though. I wouldn't have Slipknot on there at all, they've done nothing particularly important. Green Day shouldn't be that high at all. Blink 182 shouldn't be on there.

I guess this is alright, considering it's Kerrang. I'm surprised to see Fugazi up there at all, I don't know if I'd put them that high, though. I wouldn't have Slipknot on there at all, they've done nothing particularly important. Green Day shouldn't be that high at all. Blink 182 shouldn't be on there.

Eh...to me, an "important band" is a band that significantly changed the face of music. Slipknot didn't, they were just another average pseudo-death metal band and another fad, and probably just put on that list to keep the Kerrang readership happy.

Eh...to me, an "important band" is a band that significantly changed the face of music. Slipknot didn't, they were just another average pseudo-death metal band and another fad, and probably just put on that list to keep the Kerrang readership happy.

Since the current Kerrang! readership seems more into Fall Out Boy, Coheed And Cambria and their ilk, I doubt it was just to keep the readership happy.

As far as crass over-generalizations go, that is...

Edited by HGwannabe

Actually, this should be called 25 most important metal bands, I demand New Order and Happy Mondays.

Pfft....Joy Division and Depeche Mode > New Order

Happy Mondays I'll give you, but I'd go Stone Roses first.

Actually, this should be called 25 most important metal bands, I demand New Order and Happy Mondays.

Pfft....Joy Division and Depeche Mode > New Order

Happy Mondays I'll give you, but I'd go Stone Roses first.

Of course there was also The Smiths, which most of your Kerrang American angsty emo types always cite as an influence, yet don't actually feature.

Yeah, but you wouldn't stick an Indie band (ok, kinda trivialising what The Smiths are, but you get me) in a Kerrang! list, would you? Even though I'd pick them as being more generally influential than a lot of the bands on the list...plus I prefer them.

And it isn't emo bands I usually hear citing The Smiths, weirdly enough.....I hear it from people like Deftones, Hundred Reasons and other indie bands, really.

Edited by HGwannabe

At the risk of coming across as a complete retard, can anyone name some bands that Guns N Roses have influenced? Because off the top of my head I can't think of any. Other than Velvet Revolver...but that doesn't really count does it? I know its a bit off topic, but I'm curious, cus Guns are like the second best band ever.

At the risk of coming across as a complete retard, can anyone name some bands that Guns N Roses have influenced? Because off the top of my head I can't think of any. Other than Velvet Revolver...but that doesn't really count does it? I know its a bit off topic, but I'm curious, cus Guns are like the second best band ever.

GnR shouldn't be that high, especially not ahead of Metallica. That said, GnR deserve a spot on the list because they were one of the first metal bands that appealed to mainstream audiences, but hardcore fans didn't mind.

Slipknot definitely deserves a spot on the list since they had a huge hand in bringing heavy music back into the mainstream. And I don't think it's fair to call them a fad, most fads don't continue for almost a decade.

KoRn definitely deserves their spot, although their last three albums should have bumped them down a bit. Still, they planted the seeds for the entire rap-rock genre.

I do not understand why the fuck blink-182 is on this list at all. What exactly did they do to be important? They sold a bunch of records, yeah, but they didn't do much besides that. I suppose they're saying they had a huge hand in the pop-punk scene, but Green Day's on the list too, and they've done far more for that genre than blink. That said, Green Day needs to be lower.

Marilyn Manson should be way higher. Way fucking higher. Not only has he consistently put out great record after great record, he is one of the most controversial musicians in history. He's innovative, makes headlines, and is just flat-out good.

Nirvana should be higher, and I know this is blasphemy, but Slayer should be lower.

Where the fuck is System of a Down? If blink-182 is on the list, SoaD should be on there somewhere.

I don't get Maiden being #1, especially over GnR and Metallica. I mean yeah, Maiden's done a lot, but the most important band of the last 25 years? Eh.

I don't get Maiden being #1, especially over GnR and Metallica. I mean yeah, Maiden's done a lot, but the most important band of the last 25 years? Eh.

UK magazine, simple as for that one. It's arguable that they are, but they'll get the nod for that reason as much as any.

Oh, and SoaD shouldn't be on this list. I know you are stating that if blink could, then someone like SoaD should, but on the whole, I wouldn't think of putting System on this.

And Marilyn Manson, whilst controversial and innovative, hasn't really had a major influence on anything. He has just made loads of headlines and proved that he is usually smarter than those who kick up a fuss about him. He deserves to be on the list, I just wouldn't bump him higher.

Bad Religion might be worthy of a spot too.

See, I might be biased here as a big punk-rock fan, but without the success and skill of Bad Religion the whole California punk-rock scene may not exist today (Of course there's other bands that could be credited such as D.I, Sick Of It All etc., but the early 90's saw a massive influx of other California based bands). Bad Religion set the standard for the likes of NOFX (Whilst I am not a fan, Fat Mike is also hugely responsible for the growth of punk-rock by setting up his own record label), Pennywise, Lagwagon, Strung Out, Face To Face and a bit later the likes of Ignite and Cigar. All of whom (With the exception of Face To Face) are still going strong today (Cigar did split...but have been talking of a recording for about a year now...but "Speed Is Relative" was such a badass album anyway).

As I said I am probably biased. But I see Bad Religion as a major reason for the birth of a 'genre', hence why I feel as though they should be on the list.

I wouldn't put NOFX in there though. Mostly because they suck. But Fat Mike has done a hell of a lot for punk-rock music though.

They're a New York group, and their sound is much closer to that of Agnostic Front or the Cro-Mags. :P Sorry for nit picking.

Actually, I do agree with you on the Bad Religion statement. I'd definitely put them in there, while not my top punk band by any stretch of the imagination, they were very good. They deserve their place as an influential punk band for all that they accomplished. Black Flag is another good choice, but I can't help but think that maybe a band like Bad Brains would have been a better choice. Although it's hard to cite which punk bands were the most influential, especially since this spans from 81 to the present.

Speaking of which, maybe Liam can answer this for me, but why did they decide to start this off at 1981? I figured you'd know since you saw the actual article.

Yeah, but they can't be counted as being important generally cos they kick-started a niche genre, one which they were eventually eclipsed as the major proprieters of, I guess.

The biggest names of a genre aren't always the best...although Emperor are far and away my favourite Black Metal band.

I find your first point odd because Emperor are a niche band as well. My point still is that they're pretty much equal in musical achievements in my opinion, but Mayhem would have the benefit of kickstarting a whole genre of music (a genre which I'd argue to be one of the biggest and healthiest of extreme metal genres today. Certainly more than any form of grind or doom metal).

And to the second point, I heartily agree. Though in the same vein, the most well-known bands aren't always shit either (this seems to be the viewpoint of several metal elitists I know, and a sentiment which I heartily despise).

Dammit, we need a proper extreme metal thread once again :(

Edited by Mercurius