Boro Appoint Southgate

Southgate appointed as Boro boss

Southgate has taken over as manager from Steve McClaren

Middlesbrough have appointed Gareth Southgate as their new manager.

Southgate, who won 57 caps for England, joined Boro from Aston Villa in a £6.5m deal in summer 2001, and has made more than 200 appearances for the club.

The 35-year-old defender has been given the job despite not possessing the relevant Uefa coaching qualifications.

Club chairman Steve Gibson said: "We have fast-tracked Gareth because we let our previous manager, Steve McClaren, become the new England coach."

Premiership managers are expected to possess the Uefa Pro Licence for coaching - the qualification above the Uefa 'A' Licence - before taking charge of a club.

Southgate, who has made more than 600 appearances as a professional, is yet to complete the necessary courses because he is still playing regularly.

That prompted League Managers' Association chief John Barnwell to conclude: "They can't do it - it's as simple as that."

But Gibson is confident that a precedent was set when Glenn Roeder took over at Newcastle even though he did not have a Uefa Pro Licence.

FA Premier League rules state coaches without the Pro Licence can only take charge of a club for 12 weeks but the top flight's club chairmen recently voted to allow Roeder dispensation.

Gibson has actively been canvassing his counterparts in recent days despite stern resistance from the LMA, who also vehemently opposed Roeder's application for dispensation.

Chief executive Keith Lamb told the club website: "Middlesbrough and Gareth should not suffer because he has had such a successful career at club and international level.

"Until recently Gareth has spent his summers serving his country as a player.

"It makes little sense that such players should be denied rare opportunities like the one he now has simply because he hasn't had the chance to gain the qualifications.

"It is no coincidence that many of the current crop of good young managers did not actually play at the highest level, so were able to concentrate on gaining coaching qualifications while many top stars were playing for their country.

"If that continues, the natural conclusion is that most top British managers will have no experience of international football."

And Southgate's appointment appears to have the backing of his current team-mates.

Ian Elliott, winger Stewart Downing's agent, told BBC Sport: "Stewart is obviously aware of what's going on and he is very happy with Gareth.

"He thinks it's a good appointment, probably as good an appointment as could have been made.

"Obviously Gareth knows the players and gets on well with everyone, and it is important to Stewart that he won't come in and rock the boat and change everything.

"Things like the academy, which has been very successful for Middlesbrough, is vital for Boro and Stewart is keen for the club to keep faith with that and he knows Gareth would do that."

It's different for Roeder though, as not only does he have the "A" license, but he was in the process of gaining his Pro license, but then had to stop due to getting a brain tumor and needing treatment.

Southgate hasn't even got his "A" license yet. I mean, I don't see the problem, because I think it's ridiculous that you need a license to manage if you don't need one to play football. If you're a football guy, you deserve any shot at it. I think Middlesborough could be making a mistake with this though. They have the players, but will he have the requirements to do it?

I think he should be allowed anyway though. All a badge tells you is that you've revised enough of FIFA's rules to take a test. Well, that and the first aid aspect, but they should have systems in place anyway.

Tony Adams also looked like someone who would be a good manager but look what happened with him. I think maybe its a bit too soon unless they have someone in a mentor role like Bobby Robson at Ireland with Steve Staunton but I wish him all the best and hope boro continue to improve the good work Steve Mclaren did.

They do have Steve Round and Steve Harrison at the club who are very good coaches who would be there to help Southgate. I remember reading a while ago that they were going to go for a multi-man setup or something of the sort with Southgate, Round, Harrison, Colin Cooper & Ugo Ehigou (however you spell it) all people who could carry on the same set-up left by McClaren, which is why Venables was approached.

I believe Round has the Pro Licence so he could well be appointed Manager if Southgate falls through, with Southgate then operating under him until he has the qualifications.

Edited by The LBTN

LBTN is correct. Expect coops to be part of the management staff when its all settled after the summer. If LMA think they can stop Gibson theyve got another thing coming.

King is dead, long live the King!

Looking forward to the new season now that the structure at the club (and culture) isnt going to be upset by some foreigner.

also: remember that Gibson has always appointed first time managers (since he took sole control at the boro in the early 90's) and he got it right both times with Robson and McClaren. I trust his judgement in gatesy.

Edited by EZE

They were talking about this this morning and compared Gianlucia Vialli who didn't have a proper lisence i don't think and won 4 trophies to Howard Wilkinson who has more medals and lisences etc. than anyone can imagine but he couldn't get Sunderland to win a game.

It's always refreshing when an ex-player takes over and I hope Kevin Ball becomes Sunderland manager for that reason.

He's said that his playing days are over. He's maintaining his player contract though "just incase theres a crisis" by which he means injury crisis which is shrewd.

also: remember that Gibson has always appointed first time managers (since he took sole control at the boro in the early 90's) and he got it right both times with Robson and McClaren. I trust his judgement in gatesy.

Tony Adams also looked like someone who would be a good manager but look what happened with him. I think maybe its a bit too soon unless they have someone in a mentor role like Bobby Robson at Ireland with Steve Staunton but I wish him all the best and hope boro continue to improve the good work Steve Mclaren did.