Dillinger Escape Plan releasing a new EP and DVD

RPS

New Jersey-bred maniacal metallers The Dillinger Escape Plan have posted their cover of Soundgarden's classic "Jesus Christ Pose" on their official MySpace page. The track comes off the band's upcoming iTunes-exclusive digital download EP, "Plagiarism", due on June 13.

Commented the band: "Soundgarden, man. I'm talking about glory days glass shattering Chris Cornell, not this easy listening slop he's got going on now. Kim Thayil, Matt Cameron, Chris Cornell, Ben Shepherd.... whew! Remember that shit?! That time period was the jam. Shit like that is hard to find now. Anyhow, this is our little homage if you will to a great band from a great time that was influential to all of us."

Other tracks featured on the EP include new versions of Dillinger classics "Unretrofied" (radio edit) and "The Perfect Design" (live), plus "Wish" (Nine Inch Nails), "Angel" (Massive Attack), and "Like I Love You" (Justin Timberlake), all recorded and mixed by guitarist Benjamin Weinman on his laptop in his bedroom.

The Dillinger Escape Plan are currently writing material for the group's fourth studio LP, the follow-up to 2004's "Miss Machine". The writing process has been stymied, as Weinman's been sidelined for several months due to surgery on his arm. The band are also preparing for the release of their "Miss Machine" DVD. The disc will reportedly contain all "Miss Machine"-related material, including all the music videos made for the record, behind-the-scenes footage and a live video from the "Miss Machine" touring cycle.

The Dillinger Escape Plan will will be supporting AFI during their inaugural North American tour for their new record beginning on June 13 in Montreal, Quebec. This summer tour will also include Nightmare Of You and be making stops in major cities across the country. In addition to their dates with AFI, The Dillinger Escape Plan will be doing several headlining shows with label mates Dysrhythmia in tow.

Credit to Blabbermouth.net!

Ok. When I heard this news, I couldn't imagine DEP covering NIN or Soundergarden. Massive Attack is even a stretch. But covering Justin Timberlake is probably the funniest thing ever. I can't wait to hear the new EP, and it is due out really soon. Also, go to their website to see when they are touring with AFI and go and check them out.

They covered that Timberlake song live, and did pretty much a straight cover. I doubt it'll be the same on the EP, though. Angel would certainly be interesting, though.

EDIT: Listening to Jesus Christ Pose now, it's rather good.

Edited by Skumfrog

I've heard that their live version of Wish is pretty fucking intense, so hopefully it translates well to the studio. Jesus Christ Pose is... okay. It doesn't sound like Greg singing at all.

I'm looking forward to the DVD. Hopefully it's better than the companion DVD that came with "Miss Machine".

I got the Kerrang! CD a few weeks ago with the 'Jesus Christ Pose' cover. I don't like it. Sounds mundane at times, and as Tristy said, it doesn't sound like Greg either - something that let me down greatly. I still want to hear the others though, for definate.

I got the Kerrang! CD a few weeks ago with the 'Jesus Christ Pose' cover. I don't like it. Sounds mundane at times, and as Tristy said, it doesn't sound like Greg either - something that let me down greatly. I still want to hear the others though, for definate.

I think with their covers, people just expect them to DEP-ise the songs, whilst from the sound of it, they don't do that with the other songs. I personally like the Jesus Christ Pose cover, but more because I like the original song than anything.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it because it's not, as you put it 'DEP-ised', I just think that there's a complete lack of punch to the song, and it sounds like they're just going through the motions rather than putting in effort, neither of which are things you can say about the original.

As I say, I hold up hope for the others though.

• 2 weeks later...