Which is the better England performance?

Liam

Better English performance?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better English performance?

• England 4 - 1 Netherlands (Euro 1996)
    • Germany 1 - 5 England (World Cup Qualifiers 2001)

So, this is triggered by me watching a video today about the best matches of all time, and these two stuck out as the best English performances by an English team in recent years, and most of our generation.

So, which is better?

I assume most will go for Germany, but there was always something about the Holland win I loved. In Germany, we put a capitulating German team to the sword, and they keeled over and let us, whilst Holland just got thoroughly outplayed as far as I saw it.

And Shearer's goal for the 3rd still ranks up there as one of my favourites.

Damn David Seaman for conceding that one goal against Holland. If you lot had won 4-0 Scotland would have gone through to the second round.

Another reason why I chose that match >_>

Although Kluivert took that goal sweetly.

Germany, basically because it was on their home pitch. I remember hearing the next day about how it had shocked the world, just for the fact it was in Germany.

Might also be because I was 9 when I watched the Holland game, and didn't really pay that much attention to the performance - just the fact that we fucked them up good.

Holland was the better performance. That German team was a fucking shambles that night.

Frightening thing is that it was almost the same side that got the World Cup final the next year.

And yeah, don't remember the Holland game much at all, so the Germany game because it was just so damn great.

I'd have to say the Holland win was the better performance. All they needed to was draw that game to get through and they went out and demolished the Dutch. Everyone was outstanding that day (Shearer, Sheringham, Gascoigne even Anderton and McManaman) and throughout the tournament as well.

Edited by The LBTN

For performance, England-Netherlands. They were competetive and we still managed to go at them and take a good win. I enjoyed that game as a kid.

For pure atmosphere though, definitely England-Germany. I was in Germany for that game and when we just continued to absolutely whup their arses, the Germans in the bar were just gutted.

Needless to say, we partied very heavily afterwards. I remember thinking that night about what an achievement it was for us.

It's funny - after that, you'd think Sven could do no wrong :lol:

I'd say England-Holland.

If the Germany-England game had been us against anyone else then the hype would have been far less and while it was a good result, the performance wasn't as good and Germany were poor on the night.

England-Holland was a really good game, a fantastic performance, and we really tore them apart - and at a major tournament.

Edited by TheArsenal