Pitchfork Media.

tristy

've been on Pitchfork Media alot lately, and alot of the album reviews they have on there appeal to me (whether it be band name or album title. Yes, I'm one of those that looks for new bands by how interesting their name or album title is), and I want to check out, but I don't know what type or style the music is. One day they review Tool, and then the next they review Deerhoof (who I want to check out, but have no clue what style of music they are).

I don't know what the point of this topic is, really. I guess I want to check out everything Pitchfork reviews, since they introduced me to Sufjan Stevens. But I just don't know what any of the music on there is. :(

I too will join this Pitchfork love. They introduced me to Sufjan Stevens, as well as other bands like Islands and Iron & Wine. Their content is just so wide spread, I think. Far better than the mass majority of media sites out there.

I've checked out Pitchfork, but I've heard a lot of negative stuff about their reviews just being a bit elitist for the sake of being elitist. I dunno, hasn't really bothered me thus far though.

www.metacritic.com usually takes into consideration reviews from Pitchfork, but picks up overall averages for reviews of CD's, DVD's and other stuff like that. If something gets a good review off of that, I might check it out. It isn't as wide reaching as Pitchfork, but it covers enough for my liking.

My rule of thumb with Pitchfork, and to a lesser extent every other review - check them out if they like it, but don't avoid something if they don't like it. Yeah, some of the bands Pitchfork says are amazing aren't the best, but for the most part they are right when they say something is good. But these guys gave the Mars Volta a 2.0 out of 10.0. I mean, if I had listened to them every time they said an album was bad, I wouldn't own half of the albums I own.

I usually use reviews to discover new bands and Pitchfork is great for that. They aren't afraid to take a risk and give bands great ratings. And lets be honest here - without Pitchfork, a lot of indie bands would never get noticed. Lots of bands owe their success too the website (Arcade Fire and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, just to name two.)

The best rule of thumb is that if it's popular, and if it's not Radiohead, pay little mind to their reviews. The indie stuff they're usually good with though.

But these guys gave the Mars Volta a 2.0 out of 10.0.

Sounds about right to me.

I'm sure they shit on cut-and-paste emo bands too :shifty:

The best rule of thumb is that if it's popular, and if it's not Radiohead, pay little mind to their reviews.

Yeah, thats kinda what I've realised. They also always seem to have the most negative reviews on Metacritic of the ones chosen.

Guest Ringo Mars

I only like what Pitchfork reviews. If they say its good, then it's good. If bad, then bad. They tell me what to think. All hail Radiohead.

Nah, seriously, I've been going to Pitchfork every other day for as long as I remember to check out the review section and tend to look for the stuff they like, but like Beaty said, if they give a bad review to something, it doesn't mean I won't check it out.

Although, really, some of the stuff there is gold. 3.1 to Fall-Out Boy? 1.5 to Panic At the Disco? 0.0 for some albums? It provides me with entertainment.

I only like Pitchfork because they gave Ninja High School a 7

Hahah! Positive hardcore rap! It is a shock that someone else on EWB has heard of Ninja High School.

I only search Pitchfork for bands I know and see what they have to say about them. They gave surprisingly good reviews to Agoraphobic Nosebleed and The Locust.

Otherwise, I cannot be arsed with Pitchfork. They come off as an elitist bunch of wankers to me, and the style of music they mostly cover is not my cup of tea.