Some Assorted XBox questions

VerbalPuke

1. Is it worth getting an original XBox right now, especially with the XBox 360 making waves as of late? My problem is that I can't justify spending an extravagant amount of money on an XBox 360. I'd be open minded to getting the less decked out version if it came at a solid price.

2. I hear old XBox games work on XBox 360 much like the PS2/PS1. However, I've also heard that XBox 360 wont play your ripped music for older XBox games. Is this also true?

3. WWF Raw 2 for XBox, any opinions? I'm really intrigued by this game as I've read some pretty positive reviews for it. I've also read that you can use your ripped music for created wrestlers, which has been something I've wanted to do since the original Smackdown.

4. Does anybody see the price of the XBox 360 falling when the next Playstation and Nintendo consoles are released?

Do not spend a penny on either of the RAW games, they're utter shyte. I got the second one when it first came out, played it 5 or 6 times and haven't touched it since. I wouldn't even recommend renting it.

And I think the price of the 360 will fall by the end of this year definately. I'd say wait for it to come down, there's some excellent looking games coming out for (Dead Rising being the main one), so yeah, wait.

1. Is it worth getting an original XBox right now, especially with the XBox 360 making waves as of late? My problem is that I can't justify spending an extravagant amount of money on an XBox 360. I'd be open minded to getting the less decked out version if it came at a solid price.

2. I hear old XBox games work on XBox 360 much like the PS2/PS1. However, I've also heard that XBox 360 wont play your ripped music for older XBox games. Is this also true?

3. WWF Raw 2 for XBox, any opinions? I'm really intrigued by this game as I've read some pretty positive reviews for it. I've also read that you can use your ripped music for created wrestlers, which has been something I've wanted to do since the original Smackdown.

4. Does anybody see the price of the XBox 360 falling when the next Playstation and Nintendo consoles are released?

Edited by The Kraig

Thank you both, that was most helpful. I'm thinking I'll just wait awhile for XBox 360 to drop, of course I might also consider the PS3, but I don't play video games enough to justify spending a ton of cash on either system. That's the problem with me getting the complete 360 package, I don't play online, and really just want a video game system. Right now I'm just really bored with my PS2.

You don't need to play online with the 360. You have to subscribe to Xbox Live to get Xbox Live Gold. Xbox Live Silver is free (when you have a hard drive), and lets you download patches and such for games, free of charge. I think you might also be able to downloads demos, trailers, etc from the marketplace as well, not sure about that as I've had Xbox Live Gold since I got the 360.

Xbox Live Gold is about £40 a year, not sure how much a 12-month subscription would be in America, and it's definitely worth it, especially if you have a good multiplayer game. You can also download new game content with Gold, not with Silver.

Interesting, I did a bit of research on the XBox 360 thanks to Wikipedia, and I am almost positive that I will purchase it in the future. I'm probably going to when I have a better job/financial situation, it's just not feasible for me to spend 300-500 bucks on it. However, the fact that a game like Smackdown is no longer exclusive to Playstation is very enticing, and as you mentioned, the XBox's announced games are vastly superior to anything Playstation 3 or Wii have announced (fuck Nintendo anyway).

One more question, is the harddrive for XBox (the hard drive included in the fat Xbox package) required to rip music onto the XBox? I'm wondering if it's like the old XBox which obviously didn't require a seperate hard drive, of course I could always buy that seperate. I'm just not interested in the headset or wireless controllers and the other stuff involved with the XBox.

My advice: get the Premium, it's worth the extra money. While you're at it, get some kind of recharging unit for the wireless controller (Charge & Play kit is the best), that sucker chews through AAs like crazy.

I think I might be leaning toward this to be honest. Based on the info I've been gathering, it seems that's the best option. The only thing is I'm not keen on wireless controllers, I honestly think they're fairly worthless. If I play video games, I'm always within the cords reach, so I feel like it's not a necesity for me. I'm also a bit put off by the idea of having to get batteries for the wireless controller or pay for a re-charing unit, of course it's also not that big of a deal to just buy a couple of controllers with cords. Hell, I could even sell the wireless controller, although it's doubtful it'd be a real hot commodity.

Either way, thanks again kids, you've all been quite helpful. (Y)

By the way Drifter, did you steal my sig gimmick? :P

Edit - Christ, forgot something I wanted to say. The idea of getting the complete package right away is probably smarter for the fact that I might as well get it all in one package, as opposed to getting it in bits and pieces over time. Basically, if I decide I want some of these accesories at some point, I might end up spending more money buying everything ala carte so to speak.

Edited by VerbalPuke

1. No. The 360 is FAR superior and plays all the best Xbox games. List here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardco...tygameslist.htm. Needs a hard drive to work (which comes with the full 360 console, not the core package.

:blink: You on crack!

Guest homerjfry

I was aprehensive about buying the 360 initially and if you plan on using a normal TV, it probably is not worth it as the graphics don't look THAT great. But being the consumer whore that I am, I went out and bought an LCD TV as well (I figured I would get one eventually) and let me tell you, on the 720p setting, these games look INCREDIBLE. The best graphics I have seen hands down, and for the most part, none of these games are made specifically for the X-Box 360, as they are all console ports, so they will just get better.

I just feel like a douchebag that by $400 system required a $1,500 accessory. This is the only way to really enjoy the system though.

Damn, you make it sound like the new XBox isn't all it's cracked up to be. I'm sure the graphics still look pretty good without an LCD television. Of course the golden rule is that graphics don't make the games good, and I'm sure I can get by on the supposedly "not so great" graphics it'd project.

I'm looking towards the XBox 360 for a few reasons. I'm ready to move into the next generation of consoles, I know that XBox and PS2's days are numbered in regards to new games, and PS3 is probably going to be more exspensive when it's launched. Of course I'll wait and see, compare and contrast prices when the zero hour is upon us.

As of right now the PS3 is confirmed to be launching at 600 USD which is totally insane if you ask me.

Currently I'm playing the X360 without any kind of HD enabled and the graphics look great to me. Obviously with HD they'd be 100% crisper and smoother, but I'm not too worried about that right now. After a while even the best graphics on a system fail to completely floor you like the initial games on that same console did at it's launch. Remember when the PS2's graphics were considered godlike? Hell, the PS1's graphics? In the end it doesn't matter how great a game looks, it's how well it plays.

The 360 lacks titles right now BIG TIME. There's very little out currently, but the future looks bright. The PS3 will have loads of Japanese RPGS, the 360 is already showing signs of being heaven for people who like to shoot and kill things. You just have to go with where your interests lie.

Not saying that's all you get on each system, but you know what I mean. Stuff like SD vs RAW, Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, etc are now going multiplatform right up front. I dunno what you specifically like to play Puke (besides wrestling) so I can't make any suggestions there.

Well, I'm definitely a more action oriented sort of gamer, so I definitely prefer games where I shoot, kill, maim, cripple, hurt, injure, and generally cause havoc. So yeah, the XBox 360 looks like a wonderful option in my view, especially when I really can't enjoy an RPG for the life of me. The 600 dollar launch price also puts a damper in any initial plan to purchase a PS3.

And as I said earlier, I feel like I'm ready to make that switch over to Microsoft. I've been a playstation dude since the first few systems, but now I'd like to change it up a bit.

Plus, your description of the graphics of a basic tv makes it easier to ignore the fact that I'd be asbolutely floored by playing it on a HD tv.

Edited by VerbalPuke

The only problem graphically with non-HD graphics is if you're an RF Modulator (which you hopefully wouldn't need to). Then you'd have problems making out any of the text. I'd assume your TV is new enough to use typical Analog component cables. I myself have it hooked up through my VCR, which works just as well.

I ended up with all of the previous gen consoles (PS2, XBOX, GC) and the only one I still play any amount is my XBOX. Microsoft design sturdy stuff, which I can't say for Sony. I usually regret buying a console at least once or twice, that's not really the case with the XBOX, it's a good system.

Guest homerjfry

The only problem graphically with non-HD graphics is if you're an RF Modulator (which you hopefully wouldn't need to). Then you'd have problems making out any of the text. I'd assume your TV is new enough to use typical Analog component cables. I myself have it hooked up through my VCR, which works just as well.

I ended up with all of the previous gen consoles (PS2, XBOX, GC) and the only one I still play any amount is my XBOX. Microsoft design sturdy stuff, which I can't say for Sony. I usually regret buying a console at least once or twice, that's not really the case with the XBOX, it's a good system.

The only reasons I would consider an X-Box 360 over a PS3 are the PS3's launch price and the rumor about not being able to trade used games. (I prefer RPGs over shooters, too, so that also has a bit to do with it)

The PS3 may launch at $600, but it'll likely go down in price within a year.

If the rumor about the PS3 games licenses (where you can't trade in used games) is true, the price will probably drop significantly, because most people will avoid the system like the plague. I've had a couple of PS2 games I traded in because they sucked, and a few others I've traded because I got bored with them. If I can't trade or sell used games, I'm not buying the system.

(For the record, the games that sucked were Blitz: The League and Transformers. Blitz had long loading and saving times and shitty A.I., and Transformers was boring without using cheat codes)

Regarding the PS3, I'm gonna be seriously pissed if the PS3 doesn't get Rumble Roses XX (seeing as how the first game was for the PS2), and if the Dead Or Alive series stays X-Box exclusive. (The designer said that the reason it went X-Box exclusive was because of the better graphics quality on the X-Box, and the PS3 and X-Box 360 should be on more equal footing in regards to that than the PS2 and X-Box were)

Edited by GhostMachine