Monkey Island

Guest Mighty Mighty Bosstown

Guest Bosstown Boy

I randomly thought of this game today while leaving the gym to come home.

Has anyone experianced the awesomeness of this series?

612189.jpg

I might freakin' buy the thing now.

I would say that 90% of the people that visit the Coin-Op arcade have played at least two of the games.

And that's a generously low guess.

*goes into old fart mode*

"I was playin' Monkey Island while you were still wearing nappies!" (In fact as I was playing it in 1990 I'd say that was very much the case!)

Interestingly read the trivia in the wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_Monkey_Island

I gotta dig out my old PC version of the first two games and try them out...

Monkey Island is apparently Orlando Bloom's favourite game, and apparently Will Turner was partially based on Guybrush Threepwood, so no surprise there.

The second film did have a lot more similarities to the MI series than the first, though, what with the voodoo lady and the cannibals, whereas the first really just had the dog with the keys, and the undead pirates.

Monkey Island is apparently Orlando Bloom's favourite game, and apparently Will Turner was partially based on Guybrush Threepwood, so no surprise there.

Odd, I always thought Sparrow more closely resembled Threepwood, myself. Captain Jack's got that quirky, lucky, goofy charm to him. Will's more clean cut and (dare I say it) bland, in my eyes.

It's more the general ineptitude of Will that reminded me of Guybrush, doubled with youthful naivety.

I bought it on the PS2 the other day, can't find it anywhere on the PC.

It is awesome, and quite funny too. There needs to be more games like this and Broken Sword, they are clearly the most enjoyable games for me, I can play them again and again.

Lucre Island on MI4 really does just annoy me, and whenever I try to replay the game I tend to get to there and then lose interest. Unlike, say, either Plunder or Blood Island on MI3, which I can play again and again without worry.

Lucre Island on MI4 really does just annoy me, and whenever I try to replay the game I tend to get to there and then lose interest. Unlike, say, either Plunder or Blood Island on MI3, which I can play again and again without worry.

Yeah, Lucre's funny for a short while the first time you play, but it gets tedious. The same is true of a lot of MI4, though, it just doesn't hold up well against the other three. I'm in a minority, I think, but I'm not a huge fan of MI2 (comparitively speaking), either. I much prefer 1 and 3, but the general consensus I see most places is that 2 is the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Best. Game. Ever.

On the subject of the similarities they were both created after inspiration from the Disney ride which is why they both have the dog and the bone and the skeleton/ghost pirates for example. The MI creator Ron Gilbert got the idea from riding it and of course Disney decided to make a film out of their own ride.

Ah... Monkey Island... I played it the first game (The Secret) for the first time nine years ago, I guess. That's when the Curse came out and everybody were talking about the Monkey Island games. But instead of buying Curse, I borrowed the first MI from my friend and I was just... amazed. The story really got to me and I couldn't stop playing. And then my friend wanted the game back. Oh, well, I bought the Curse of Monkey Island and liked it, although it was nothing like the first one. Then, years go by, I wonder aimlessly in one of our bigger stores and... Bah Gawd! The Curse of Monkey Island Deluxe Edition w/ the first two Monkey Island games! I bought the package, ran home and started playing again. I remember how the memories filled my mind and... sniff... Anyways, I actually managed to finish all the three of the Monkey Island games without any kind of help or walkthroughs and I can say that I'm damn proud of that. The Escape From Monkey Island was a bit meh for me, but I played it through, but I got bored so I got a walkthrough from www.gamefaqs.com. It just didn't havethe magic the first three, especially two, episodes had.