NFL 06/07 Talk

Guest Mighty Mighty Bosstown

And it looks like Dallas' search is over, reports indicate they will announce Wade Phillips as their new head coach. IMO, it's a great move considering how good he is at defensive schemes, especially ones that involve pass-rushing OLB's that have speed. DeMarcus Ware will tear some shit up in the same defense as Merriman. I'm not saying he's better than Merriman, but he'll be utilized a lot better by Phillips than by Zimmer. Good move by Dallas.

And I guess that Norv Turner lost the job after he said that Garrett wasn't ready to even be a coordinator, which is a no-no considering how high Jones is/was on Garrett. I'm just happy the Niners are able to keep Turner and Singletary, unless the Cowboys offer Singletary a job as D-Coordinator, which is always possible, but I anticipate him to stay with the Niners regardless.

Oh and the Lions do have some talent, just very underutilized. Alex Lewis jumps out as a guy who could make an impact on D if given some grooming by the right person. Not to mention Roy Williams has yet to reach his full potential IMO as I think he could be the game's best receiver if he put his mind to it. They should be looking at QB's in the draft though. Maybe not with the first pick, but in later rounds. There are a few prospects out there (Kevin Kolb, Jordan Palmer, Jared Zabransky) that could make good QB's if they sit behind Kitna for awhile. Kitna's a good QB to have while you're grooming a young QB, just ask Hasselbeck and Carson Palmer.

Edited by Livid

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it looks like Dallas' search is over, reports indicate they will announce Wade Phillips as their new head coach. IMO, it's a great move considering how good he is at defensive schemes, especially ones that involve pass-rushing OLB's that have speed. DeMarcus Ware will tear some shit up in the same defense as Merriman. I'm not saying he's better than Merriman, but he'll be utilized a lot better by Phillips than by Zimmer. Good move by Dallas.

And I guess that Norv Turner lost the job after he said that Garrett wasn't ready to even be a coordinator, which is a no-no considering how high Jones is/was on Garrett. I'm just happy the Niners are able to keep Turner and Singletary, unless the Cowboys offer Singletary a job as D-Coordinator, which is always possible, but I anticipate him to stay with the Niners regardless.

Oh and the Lions do have some talent, just very underutilized. Alex Lewis jumps out as a guy who could make an impact on D if given some grooming by the right person. Not to mention Roy Williams has yet to reach his full potential IMO as I think he could be the game's best receiver if he put his mind to it. They should be looking at QB's in the draft though. Maybe not with the first pick, but in later rounds. There are a few prospects out there (Kevin Kolb, Jordan Palmer, Jared Zabransky) that could make good QB's if they sit behind Kitna for awhile. Kitna's a good QB to have while you're grooming a young QB, just ask Hasselbeck and Carson Palmer.

I see Wade Phillips as more of a "substitute" coach that Jerry Jones will let have the reins for a few years while he trains up Jason Garrett. The word is that Jones felt like Turner wouldn't want to step aside in a few years for Garrett, and that Phillips might be more willing to move on at that point and let Garrett have the head job. All in all, I don't really care who the coach is, as long as they're able to solidify the defense and get Romo back to that groove he was in for several weeks in the season.

Being the pretty much the lone Colts fan on the boards, this is the greatest thing to happens since, well ever. After enduring two straight losses to the Patriots and last year to the Steelers, I can no longer hear the "choke" label anymore.

I thought that this year's game was far more entertaining than last year's, more than likely because of the turnovers and what-not, but it wasn't as good as the Pats/Eagles or the Pats/Panthers.

The fuck you are? Have you even read this topic?

We would most likely call you a spite fan.

... Not a bit. I'm from Indy.

Well, when I see "Belmont, MA" for your location, it's easy to think otherwise.

Phillips, IMO, is a good hire for a few reasons. One, everybody knows he's not the long-term answer for the Cowboys. Jerry Jones has a hard-on for Garrett and that's the point of bringing in Phillips. He'll teach Garrett a few things and along the way, groom him to be his successor. Two, Wade Phillips has proved that he can create a great defense and that's pretty much all he'll probably be asked to do. Remember, Jerry Jones is very involved in everything, so I see him making the personnel moves and letting Garrett, Phillips and whoever they hire as d-coordinator to do their job and coach them. I think Phillips can have success because of those two hires. Garrett will no doubt, help Romo mature and Phillips will take an underachieving defense and make it dominant. The Cowboys have plenty of talent on defense, the only real question marks are FS (which may not be that bad, depending on how Watkins adjusts to Phillips' D) and deep coverage by both safeties. Watkins should be a monster considering he's 6'5" but he's just not experienced enough and Roy Williams just flat out sucks at coverage (great against the run though and basically head hunting).

The team can work, they just need the right schemes to make them a great team.

I see Wade Phillips as more of a "substitute" coach that Jerry Jones will let have the reins for a few years while he trains up Jason Garrett. The word is that Jones felt like Turner wouldn't want to step aside in a few years for Garrett, and that Phillips might be more willing to move on at that point and let Garrett have the head job. All in all, I don't really care who the coach is, as long as they're able to solidify the defense and get Romo back to that groove he was in for several weeks in the season.

Tampa bay goes from having 1 pro bowler to three.

LS/TE Dave Moore

CB Ronde Barber

OLB Derrick Brooks

Brooks makes history as he has made 10 consecutive Probowls. Though he may not have played in all 10 he has made 10 which makes him one of a select few that have done the following in their careers.

10 Straight Probowls

1 Superbowl

1 Defensive POY.

I feel a few people dislike the pro bowl now, even players, because its based off name value more than actual skill. Sure some players deserve it, but theres a good deal of players who shouldn't be there - but are because of their name.

Makes the pro bowl pretty much a non-factor now and just a little game after the superbowl rather than the best in the conferences butting heads.

I feel a few people dislike the pro bowl now, even players, because its based off name value more than actual skill. Sure some players deserve it, but theres a good deal of players who shouldn't be there - but are because of their name.

Makes the pro bowl pretty much a non-factor now and just a little game after the superbowl rather than the best in the conferences butting heads.

DeAngelo Hall is the obvious choice with his name, Chris Samuels for the Redskins pretty much gets there every year even though plenty of DE's such as Freeny just absolutely manhandle him game in game out. Personally I don't believe Troy Polamalu is the best SS the AFC have to offer. Not to mention this is Adrian Wilson's first time pick, then what's been going on the previous years because in my eyes he's the best SS in the NFL for a while now. Where's Lee Evans on the WR list, he WAS the Bills this past season.

Not to have the Cowboys fans jump down by my throat, but Roy Williams wouldn't have been my first reserve at SS for the NFC.

Now to the tough ones, personally I feel that Ovie Mughelli was a massive reason why Baltimore turned it around like they did, coupled with Billick taking the play calling. Sure Lorenzo Neal is awesome, but I think Tomlinson is a bigger factor for that. Just my opinion but I would have taken Mughelli over Neal for one.

Why is Nick Mangold not player center for the AFC? He was the best center in the league as far as I'm concerned and deserved it more than anyone, had an awesome season for the Jets. Marcus McNeill coming in as an injury replacement is laughable, he should have been there immediately.

In a way I feel Merriman shouldn't be there for his substance abuse and instead should have been replaced by DeMeco Ryans, the best LB in the NFC this season I'd say.

Edited by IAceI

Polamalu is an explosive player and can change games just with his presence.

Now if he works on learning how to wrap people up when he tackles them and learns how to actually cover somebody and he'll be the best.

Until then, he's going to get to Pro Bowls just on his talent and ability to change games in one play.

Why is Nick Mangold not player center for the AFC? He was the best center in the league
Edited by Evil Chase K

In a way I feel Merriman shouldn't be there for his substance abuse and instead should have been replaced by DeMeco Ryans, the best LB in the NFC this season I'd say.

That wouldn't make any sense - Merriman's in the AFC.

Edited by IAceI