NFL 06/07 Talk

Guest Mighty Mighty Bosstown

I really fail to see how firing a coach who admittedly can't seem to win in the playoffs, but at least knows how to guide a team TO the playoffs, and hiring a coach who's never really proven that he can be even a DECENT head coach, can be considered an improvement. Just makes no sense whatsoever to me.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really fail to see how firing a coach who admittedly can't seem to win in the playoffs, but at least knows how to guide a team TO the playoffs, and hiring a coach who's never really proven that he can be even a DECENT head coach, can be considered an improvement. Just makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Not real sure why the hiring of Turner took place, aside from the fact that he'll bring minimal amounts of change to a franchise that's in good shape. But the firing of Marty made perfect sense once his assistants were gone. He would have ended up hiring assistants and then leaving after next year, which would have left San Diego looking for a new head coach anyway, but being either stuck with Marty's assistants or having to buy out contracts. Once the opportunity presented itself to clear house completely, they jumped on it.

Not real sure why the hiring of Turner took place, aside from the fact that he'll bring minimal amounts of change to a franchise that's in good shape. But the firing of Marty made perfect sense once his assistants were gone. He would have ended up hiring assistants and then leaving after next year, which would have left San Diego looking for a new head coach anyway, but being either stuck with Marty's assistants or having to buy out contracts. Once the opportunity presented itself to clear house completely, they jumped on it.

While I understand what you're saying, and even agree to an extent, I still don't understand why TURNER? I mean, sure, go ahead and clean house and all, but if you're not going to hire a coach with a proven winning record, at least DON'T hire one who hasn't ever won anything. And honestly, unless Turner can take them into the playoffs and actually DO something, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find them looking for a new head coach next year ANYWAY.

Exactly. I mean, I understand Turner is a bit of an idiot, but look at the team he's getting. They have great weapons, a solid defense, a good kicker... if they don't make the playoffs AT LEAST next year, Turner should never get a head coach job again.

You know, I was talking to a guy at work the other day about football, and the Super Bowl came up.Now understand, this guy hates, hates, HATES Peyton Manning for some reason. He doesn't even really know why, it's just like a blind hatred. But he told me that he was rooting for the Colts in the Super Bowl for one reason: He wanted to see Tony Dungy get a ring. He said that he's always liked Dungy and always respected him both as a coach and as a man. As he put it "Why would you dislike Tony Dungy"? And that got me to thinking about how there really aren't a lot of people like that involved with football. Just genuine nice, respectable guys. I know there's more than I think, as it seems like only the assholes get a lot of press, but still...