NFL 06/07 Talk

Guest Mighty Mighty Bosstown

The Detroit Lions put the franchise tag on defensive tackle Cory Redding, team president Matt Millen said Wednesday in Indianapolis at the NFL's scouting combine.

The move prevents Redding from becoming an unrestricted free agent next month.

Redding emerged as a dominant player for the Lions last year when defensive tackle Shaun Rogers was out of the lineup. Redding had 37 tackles, including eight sacks, in his fourth season with the team after being drafted in 2003.

Just in case any of you outside of Detroit gave a shit (and I'm sure you didn't).

It's a smart move to keep our best defensive player (yeah, over Shaun Rogers, Redding is a work horse, Rogers is a lazy slob). At the same time, Redding and Rogers together in the middle could be an absolute force, but we'll need to acquire a good MLB to really make the middle mean. Keep in mind that Redding's season really picked up when he was switched to DT, when he has played most of his career in the NFL at DE.

And one more tidbit, the Lions have given Dre Bly permission to seek a trade. Hopefully they can get something for him, otherwise he'll end up being a June 1st cut.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's just some vague impression I get, but it seems to me that Billick would be a lot harder for a GM to get along with than Schottenheimer. I've just always gotten the feeling that Billick's ego walks into the room about five minutes before he does.

And VP, who DO the Lions have at MLB? For some reason, I always associated that position with Boss Bailey, and always thought of Boss as being, well, kind of good.

They have the likes of Teddy Lehman (who plays outside as well) and the aging Earl Holmes. Boss plays outside and hasn't really lit up in the NFL just yet. But they need help at MLB for sure. Buster Davis might be available for them in the 2nd round, who I'm hoping falls to the Niners though so they can take him.

Maybe it's just some vague impression I get, but it seems to me that Billick would be a lot harder for a GM to get along with than Schottenheimer. I've just always gotten the feeling that Billick's ego walks into the room about five minutes before he does.

And VP, who DO the Lions have at MLB? For some reason, I always associated that position with Boss Bailey, and always thought of Boss as being, well, kind of good.

Billick is able to get along with Newsome though. Nobody's really sure how, but I think they have like-minded opinions on the right players for the team. And the reason Billick has no trouble with ownership is that once Art got the big money he wanted with Baltimore's stadium deal and everything he just decided to sit back and put the money in for the team to win. The new owner, Bisciotti, grew up a Colts fan and then became a Ravens fan and owner obviously. He is very hands off and just wants to put the money out there for the team to win.

So Billick is in a situation where he is able to get along with the management, despite his ego. The same can't be said of some players and coaches though.

To answer the Lions MLB questions, we used Boss Bailey in the middle this year. It was a bad experiment, he's an undersized LB as it is, best suited for the outside. Unfortunately, Bailey really isn't that good, he's quick but tends to overrun plays (a knock on him coming out of college) and just isn't a playmaker. He's going to become depth, although he's technically young enough to make improvements in his game. He just hasn't lived up to the promise of his rookie amidst injuries and shoddy play.

As for Lehman, he's another one that played well in his rookie year, but was then plagued by injuries the following two years. He's a bit of a wildcard, but I'm not expecting much out of him.

Earl Holmes was out of football last year after his contract with us expired. The hot rumor is that we're looking at London Fletcher, which would have been a good move 5 years ago. We always have this knack of signing known defensive players years after their fucking prime. This is more proof as to why Matt Millen needs a crowbar to pry his head out of his ass and why the Ford's are failures in both business and owning a football team.

Mike Williams will probably also be released this season. Think of this, we took this guy with the 10th overall pick, a third WR in a row. This wouldn't be such a bad thing if he had actually seen significant playing time and actually showed promise over the last two years. Even worse is that we passed up Derrick Johnson, Demarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, and Shawn fucking Merriman to draft a guy that we didn't need nor didn't use.

Why on earth did the Bears get rid of Rivera? The players loved him :/

Because of the price tag to keep someone around that would likely leave at the next job opening, better to bring up someone who knows the system and will be able to stay.

I remember when Brooks was orginally released, I had a good idea he was going to be a great QB once he found a new team. A few weeks later it dawned on me he would never be good, and is infact, just shit. But hey, teams have done well with shit QB's before, so Brooks must have been worse >_>

The Bears, who are also known for being cheap, don't give Lovie free reign to hire and fire his assistants. Lovie might have suggested it, but it came down to the Bears not wanting to pay Rivera big bucks for just being a "yes man" for Lovie's system.

It's really sad to see someone that is such a good person lose his father. :(

And another Bronco's player passes, reserve tailback Damien Nash collapsed after a charity basketball game. :(

Edited by Trey