NFL 06/07 Talk

Guest Mighty Mighty Bosstown

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may not be 100% Modell's fault but he is the one that moved the team even with some of the most loyal fans in football if not the loyalist. You will find a Browns Backer club in every state and also in some other countries if I remember correctly and the stadium sells out pretty much every game since the reconception. The fact that he tried to keep the move secret is what really got him in trouble, since it was leaked it made the reaction so much worse altough a move at all was going to make the fans angry. Municipal(sp?) Stadium where the Browns was just to big and it was becoming run down and Modell was already in debt so he couldnt pay for improvements and he went to the city. As you may know Cleveland isnt exactly the richest city and is definatly on the poorer side so there was know way that Cleveland could help pay for anything, so Modell decided to take the team away, when I am sure if he wanted he could have sold the team and made a little profit while giving the team hopefully a richer owner(like he eventually did with the Ravens anyways) who could have improved the stadium or build a new one like they eventually did with the new Cleveland Browns Stadium. So altough it may not 100% be his fault there is definatly some blame that has to be put on him.

Wow, I love how ESPN is really seeing the fruits of their mistake in announcer choice for MNF. The Nessler, Vermeil, and Jaws crew is so much better than Tirico (who I always felt was a ESPN2 announcer as is), Kornheiser, and Theismann that it just makes ESPN seem silly.

Wow, I love how ESPN is really seeing the fruits of their mistake in announcer choice for MNF. The Nessler, Vermeil, and Jaws crew is so much better than Tirico (who I always felt was a ESPN2 announcer as is), Kornheiser, and Theismann that it just makes ESPN seem silly.

It may not be 100% Modell's fault but he is the one that moved the team even with some of the most loyal fans in football if not the loyalist. You will find a Browns Backer club in every state and also in some other countries

Edited by Evil Chase K

As much as I really do hate the Steelers, I still am able to respect that won last year and that they are a good team, but like you said I just wish that the Browns can get better. The rivalry really hasnt been even for a while and it doesnt get mentioned as heated as much as it once was for that reason. I can only hope that the Browns young players countiue to develop and that in the coming season there can be more meaningful games between the two, cause I for one want to see another playoff game between the two since the last left me feeling sick losing cause the secoundary let Maddox split the defense. Probably not this year will we be competive but next year things may start looking up if we can kill the injury bug before it kills us again.

I wonder how long it'll be before Favre either takes himself out of the lineup or gets yanked by the coach if he keeps playing like he did this weekend.

I seriously feel sorry for Packers fans (but am glad the Packers lost this week - the Bears are one of my favorite teams), because Favre should have retired instead of coming back.

The Cardinals' new stadium has a pretty good design, from what I saw of it on the few clips I saw on tv.

And I agree with ROC and TSCM's comments about Mike Tirico. He needs to be doing college games, not NFL.

Edited by GhostMachine

Two things involving this week's game between Detroit and Chicago made me laugh as a Detroit fan. Firstly, Roy Williams guaranteed a victory over Chicago. I'll be laughing AT him (not with him) when he's wrong. Secondly, ALL the writers on cbs sportsline predicted Detroit will win the game (see http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/features/writers/expert/picks). I don't really understand any of that. Were these people watching the same games I was last week? What has Detroit really shown that means they even have a chance against the Bears (Who, by the way, are riding high after dismantling the Packers.)

Defensively the Bears are better. Offensively the Bears are better. Where do people get this stuff?

I mean, I'm a fan of the Lions and all...but I'm also a realist. There's a chance that they'll win in Chicago, but it's what I'd call a long shot. I know anything can happen in the NFL, and the Lions have beat the Bears before. But I really really wonder what these people are basing their predictions on.

EDIT- Actually I see what the writers are basing it on somewhat now. I re-read the predictions and they are only predicting that the Lions will beat the -8 spread. I don't even see that happening...but ok...I can see that I guess.

Edited by jase12881

A lot of people are counting the Lions out of this one. Not myself, I go into every week expecting to win, as unrealistic as it sounds.

Chicago's defense is definitely better, but the Detroit defense also looked sharp last week, giving up only nine points to a very good Seattle offense.

If the Lions can get the running game going (and don't forget, last week Ahman Green had a good game) and play defense like they did last week then they will have a great shot to pick up the win. I'm really still not all that scared of the Chicago offense considering Green Bay's defense isn't much to write home about. My only worry is that Chicago's defensive line is just too much for the Detroit offensive line. I think Cory Schlesinger can neutralize Urlacher, so it's up to Woody, Raiola, and hopefully Verba (if he's ready to return) to open holes in the middle.

Yeah you spoke of the Bears offense being better, but they played the Packers whereas the Lions played the Seahawks and their offense (passing) had a good game. If the Lions can get their running game going, like VP said, then they'll have a good chance to pull out the victory.

Especially if the Bears' egos are on overload because they beat a bad Green Bay Packers team. I watched both games and I must tell you, I expected the Bears to easily beat the Packers so they didn't show me anything, considering Green Bay's defense isn't great. Their one consistent playmaker had a good game in Barnett and a good game from the vastly underrated Aaron Kampan, but other than that, everybody on Green Bay's defense did horrible.

So I'm not exactly predicting the Lions to win, but I know that it's not as a long as shot as you seem to assume, especially considering I think the Bears aren't as "great" as everybody makes them out to be, because of their offense.

I've seen the Bears defense lately, they beat up a weak Packers team. Although you must have missed Ahman Green's 110 yard performance with a 5.5 average. That indicates to me that Kevin Jones and the Lions O-Line can get the running game going if they stay comitted to it.

You can snigger all you want about what I said about Schlesinger and Urlacher but I've seen it happen plenty of times over the past few years. Schlesinger is a balls out fullback and has done a great job of keeping Urlacher on his ass. I think people forget how great of a blocker Schlesinger is.

Also I wouldn't say Livid acted as if it's a given that the running game would get going. He said "if" it gets going then the Lions have a solid shot.

Again, the Bears offense doesn't scare me with or without Jones and Grossman. We held a very good Seattle offense to 9 points, and Shaun Alexander to 51 yards.

For posterity, my picks for this week.

Tampa d. Atlanta

Baltimore d. Oakland (Steve McNair needs to put up some points for me here)

Chicago d. Detroit

Cincinnati d. Clevland

New Orleans d. Green Bay

Indianapolis d. Houston

Miami d. Buffalo

Carolina d. Minnesota

NYG d. Philadelphia

St. Louis d. San Francisco

Seattle d. Arizona

Denver d. Kansas City

New England d. NYJ

San Diego d. Tennessee

Dallas d. Washington

Pittsburgh d. Jacksonville (I have Pittsburgh's D, so I want them to squish the Jags)