Lippi and Klinsmann leave Italy and Germany

TMM

Klinsmann calls time on Germany

Jurgen Klinsmann has decided against staying on as coach of Germany following a successful 2006 World Cup.

The former Spurs striker led the hosts to an impressive third-placed finish this summer against all expectations.

Germany won all three of their Group A games before going on to eliminate Sweden and favourites Argentina in the knock-out stage.

Their run came to an end following an extra-time loss to eventual winners Italy, but claimed third spot after drubbing Portugal on Saturday.

German officials wanted Klinsmann to stay on in charge of the nation, but he has informed the German Football Federation (DFB) he wants to step aside.

"I regret his decision, but we have to accept it," DFB co-president Gerhard Mayer-Vorfelder told the BBC.

A press conference is to be held in Frankfurt on Wednesday morning where Klinsmann's Germany exit is expected to be confirmed.

Source: Sky Sports.com

Lippi resigns as Italy head coach

Marcello Lippi has resigned as coach of Italy after leading his country to a fourth World Cup title.

Despite widespread calls for him to stay on at the helm after Italy's win over France on penalties, Lippi has decided the time is right to quit.

The 58-year-old feels he and his son, Davide, were attacked personally in the match-fixing and corruption scandal tainting the domestic game.

Lippi failed to attend a meeting with the Italian Federation on Tuesday.

"At the end of an extraordinary professional and human experience, experienced as the head of an exceptional group of players...I believe my role is over as the guide of the team," he said.

The former Juventus coach was recently linked with a move to Manchester United as a potential successor to Sir Alex Ferguson.

But Lippi was quick to reject the speculation - citing his lack of English as his reason for not moving to the Premiership - and United also denied the rumours.

While he is not under investigation, Lippi was questioned by prosecutors before the World Cup about alleged pressure he received to select certain players for Italy's national team.

Davide Lippi is under investigation for his position at a player agency linked to the scandal.

The World Cup final finished 1-1 before Italy won the shoot-out 5-3 and Lippi described the victory as "the most satisfying moment of my life".

Source: BBC.co.uk

The Klinsmann leaving thing was always on the cards I think. Apparently he's expected to coach some MLS team or something.

Edited by TMM

Shame about Klinsmann, he seemed to bring the best out of Germany and I thought they might convince him to stay on.

Hasn't Lippi been linked with Man United?

Edit: Gah, you posted the article just as I posted >_>

Edited by therockbox

Klinsmann coaching an American team would make sense seeing as he lives in Los Angeles, less of a commute to work than he was doing :P

I'd have liked to see him stay on as Germany coach, I think he could have had Germany be even better by the time 2008 rolls around.

The best thing about Klinsmann as the national coach was his isolation from the German media being in the US. Of course the media used that as a downside and I'm glad they did well to shut up the doubters. Being distanced helped him to keep away and make up his own mind rather then for example "we're a one man team if Bierhoff (does he still play) doesn't play we're doomed DOOMED!" articles like the England side had dictating the side for him. I'd heard talk of the US job being thrown around this morning too, interesting to see how he does with that if it's true.

As for Lippi, not massively surprised, he's gone out at the right time IMHO rather then being sacked if they underperform at the Euros. Presumably he'll go back to club football. Not sure where to at the moment, none of the big jobs available are they?