The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Living in the UK I tend to get the volumes as its much easier. Also I find they're just nicer to keep, not to mention the added plus of getting a full story rather than having to wait months for the next part.

I've recently been reading Essential Avengers Vol 1. (which is great by the way) and the difference in stories within issues is gretaly noticable. Each issue was action packed, and usually a full story. When the story went over a lot of issues it was something big. Nowadays you get a story in say six parts, and each month it only progresses slightly.

Just an opinion, but yeah I prefer the 'volumes.'

I tend to get comics for the stuff I really like, or even just new stuff that I'm too impatient to wait for. I tend to try out an established series that I haven't yet read via volumes, though I tend to read volumes less and less and the single issue comics more and more.

I hated Return of the King personally. It was rushed and not that well written, but it was better than what the comic ended up like. I quite liked Ultimate War, that was a solid little story.

Edited by Big timmayy V

Fair enough, each to their own. Although it saddens me that you say everything past where I'm at sucks :( Cos Im enjoying the series right now.

Has anyone read the Ultimate Iron Man, Daredevil and Elektra, Fantastic Four or the Team Up books? Any good?

And one more question while I'm at it; When does the Ultimate Extinction/Nightmare/Galactus thingy take place in respect to the X-Men and Spiderman volumes?

Edited by Cable

Where did you say you were vol. 8? From memory, nine is a good idea, a good story and is well written, but you might not appreciate the Ultimate version of the main villain, vol 10 is way below average, vol 11 is awful, and I stopped. I read the 'Cable' arc in single issue comic form (think that's something like vol. 16.17) because it was Cable (!) and that least we say about that the better. I haven't had the desire to try again.

Yeah I just read 'New Mutants' and 'Blockbuster' before that, both of which I really enjoyed. And yes unfortunatley I know 'all about' Ultimate Cable :(

As you may have figured he's one of my favourite comic characters (regular Cable) and when I found out about the Ultimate version I was not pleased at all.

Blockbuster was good :)

I could have just (like, just) about accepted what Ultimate Cable is 'all-about' if the arc was good, like if it had good writing, an entertaining story, etc, but it doesn't have those either, it was just plodding and dull.

You asked about Ultimate Galactus? I'm not sure where it's from in the Ultimate timeline. It was from 2005, so I imagine it's around the same time as your at with Ultimate X-Men. Ultimate Galactus is inexplicably entertaining. Vol 1 is a good set-up, vol 2 is there for the sake of their being a vol 2 but it's a good story, and 3 is great. It's the sort of thing you can't put your finger on why it's so readable, it just is.

Good stuff, I've wanted to pick them up for a while but didn't want to accidently spoil anything about the other books I was reading if it was set too far ahead of them.

Thanks for that. A quick look at Wiki and the current line up of 'Ultimate X-Men' doesn't look good at all. The art looks crappy as well, although it could just be the cover they have on display.

I have read all of the Ultimates stuff, and it was great. Although after reading Essential Avengers recently it makes me wonder if the Ultimates will ever face classic foes like Kang and the Masters of Evil. I know we got Loki, but it took right until the end of series 2. Still an awesome set of stories.

Another good note, Amazon have all 3 Ultimate Galactus books in a boxset type thing for only £13.99 - not bad at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone read the X-Men Messiah Complex One-Shot introduction issue? I thought it was decent, but the last page reveal OUT OF NOWHERE~! was a bit silly. It was almost like they got to the end of the issue and went, "Awww shit, we forgot to introduce such and such..."

Sub-Mariner #5 was pretty decent, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all ends.

Quasar #4 was pretty cool with its own last page reveal.

Adam Warlock baby!

The Daredevil annual was a solid stand alone story that was blatantly just there to re-introduce the Black Tarantula. Not that I'm complaining - it was written pretty well and the BT character seems interesting, even if he looks like he'll just be a super powered Punisher - that's marginally corrupt.

I enjoyed Messiah Complex one-shot quite a lot, and the final page worked as a shock to get people to buy the next issue. I'm not a fan of the Predator X concept, but it was a good idea for a last page, and overall I liked the comic. Let's just hope Messiah Complex is better than the total letdown that was Endangered Species.

Whoa, I've enjoyed Moon Knights last year or so, but last weeks issue really stepped it up, they're finally aiming to develop the characters instead of mulling in showing you previous history and the art is the perfect gritty style, similar to Daredevil but with a more twisted visage thanks to the content.

Astonishing X-Men was good, with one truly kick ass, uber mark out moment "WHAT OTHER LIES HAVE YOU TOLD?"............

Iron Fist was alright, but with a well written look at Davos and Wendell. I haven't read any more of this weeks comics yet. I got Uncanny X-Men, Lobster Johnson, Criminal and Witchblade to go

Edited by James timMAYy

Astonishing X-Men was good, with one truly kick ass, uber mark out moment "WHAT OTHER LIES HAVE YOU TOLD?"............

Iron Fist was alright, but with a well written look at Davos and Wendell. I haven't read any more of this weeks comics yet. I got Uncanny X-Men, Lobster Johnson, Criminal and Witchblade to go

I thought Astonishing X-Men was decent-to-good. Still not sold on Predator X though. I do like how Wolverine always refers to Nightcrawler as 'Elf' though. :D

Quasar 4 of 4 was solid and finished the lead-in to Annihilation: Conquest nicely enough.

Annihilation: Conquest 1 was a solid opener. I do get the feeling, though, that someone starting to read the arc from this point wouldn't really appreciate some of the characters and their predicaments like they would if they'd read the prequel issues (especially the Ronan/Super Skrull/Wraith arc).

I also bought Mystic Arcana: Sister Grimm but haven't read it yet.

I'm going to get some TPB's off amazon when I buy some early Xmas pressies and was wondering what to get. I reckon I'll get Astonishing X-Men vol.2 and New Avengers vol.5.

Does anyone else have an recommendations?

You didn't buy Astonishing X-Men. You read Uncanny X-Men, which was good. Astonishing has grown on me the more I thought of it, due to Cyclops being uber kick ass.

You didn't buy Astonishing X-Men. You read Uncanny X-Men, which was good. Astonishing has grown on me the more I thought of it, due to Cyclops being uber kick ass.

Yeah, I realised that the other day and couldn't be arsed to edit it.

But yeah, it's just decent-to-good.