The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

We'll have to agree to disagree. I've never thought that Kirby was all that great a writer, but to me his art didn't start going downhill until shortly before he left Marvel for DC. The art on the SUPER POWERS mini-series was abysmal.

And sometimes when Kirby's work was bad, it was due to the inking. Look at work inked by Vince Colletta, for instance. 

Colletta got the amount of work that he did because he was considered to be one of the quickest inkers in the business. And frankly, it shows. He not only ruined Kirby's art, but also Joe Sinnott's and Gene Colan's. (Stan Lee actually kicked him off TOMB OF DRACULA!) Steve Ditko reportedly wouldn't even read a comic if he knew that Colletta worked on it. It took the combined efforts of Mark Evanier and Wally Wood to get him kicked off Kirby's DC work.

Some people actually like Colletta's work, but he is reviled by a lot of people in the industry as well as fans. 

He is easily my least favorite inker ever.

I'm the opposite. I'm more into them now. I have Marvel Unlimited, Shonen Jump and soon the new version of DCU since it's going all comics. So much to read.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh and this.

I have no idea how such a weasel of a man does such good with Superman. 

I wonder if Spider-Gwen is aware that 616 Gwen fucked the Green Goblin. I'd like to see someone deliver that news.

*sigh* Marvel should really ignore or retcon out Sins Past. Yes, it makes Norman more of a pos, but it also lessens sympathy for Gwen quite a bit. Plus JMS didn't do his homework, because the story itself requires retconning; originally Gwen wasn't away anywhere near as long.

• 3 weeks later...

Three Jokers end and reveal.

Spoiler

Killing Joke Joker is THE Joker and is pretty much his backstory. Only thing is his wife didn't die. She was helped to fake her death to get away from him. She's been living in Alaska with their son all these years. Batman has always known who The Joker is and what his real name is. He just can't let anyone know because people will use it to find the wife and kid and then Joker will find them.

7 hours ago, =BK= said:

Three Jokers end and reveal.

Hide contents

Killing Joke Joker is THE Joker and is pretty much his backstory. Only thing is his wife didn't die. She was helped to fake her death to get away from him. She's been living in Alaska with their son all these years. Batman has always known who The Joker is and what his real name is. He just can't let anyone know because people will use it to find the wife and kid and then Joker will find them.

So...

Spoiler

Did they reveal the backstories of the other two? And are the other two both dead now? I know Jason shot and killed one at the end of the first issue.

17 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

So...

Hide contents

Did they reveal the backstories of the other two? And are the other two both dead now? I know Jason shot and killed one at the end of the first issue.

For the most part, the label that did this is mostly for self-contained stories. I don't think it's going to impact proper canon.

8 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

So...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Actual Joker, The Killing Joke Joker, Comedian Joker made them. That's all. They're not really important  Jason shot The Clown. The Comedian shot The Criminal. They're dead. The true Joker remains.

18 minutes ago, =BK= said:
  Hide contents

Actual Joker, The Killing Joke Joker, Comedian Joker made them. That's all. They're not really important  Jason shot The Clown. The Comedian shot The Criminal. They're dead. The true Joker remains.

Funny  thing about that:

Spoiler

Wasn't The Criminal's personality more in line with the original Golden Age Joker? The Joker originally did murder people, but as part of elaborate plans, sometimes involving revenge. It wasn't until the 1970's that the Joker was portrayed as full-on nuts.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone collect Omnibuses? I've started collecting some and while they're expensive, they're also super nice to have. I just need to buy a shelf for them. So far I've got

Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Jason
Daredevil Companion by same as above
Flash: The Silver Age Vol 1
Infinite Crisis
and I'm not sure you'd call it an omnibus but I've gotten almost the complete Punisher Max series as well.

Anyone have some good recommendations for others ones that I should get? I think the next ones I'm looking at is the Grant Morrison run that was released in Omnibus in 2018.

• RPS locked this topic