The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Does Marvel Unlimited have a lot of Golden Age and pre-Marvel era comics? I read on Facebook that they have the entire run of Menace, which is a horror comic that Stan Lee did in the 50's.

The characterization of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch is far different in Ultimate X-Men than what it is in The Ultimates. 

Weren't they more or less committing incest, or at least it was strongly hinted they were?

Then again, if I remember right, Wolverine was either gay or bisexual in the Ultimate X-Men comics,  Hank Pym actually was abusing Jan, and Captain America was an asshole in Ultimate Avengers. 

7 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Weren't they more or less committing incest, or at least it was strongly hinted they were?

Then again, if I remember right, Wolverine was either gay or bisexual in the Ultimate X-Men comics,  Hank Pym actually was abusing Jan, and Captain America was an asshole in Ultimate Avengers. 

Also Hawkeye/Black Widow were bonafide sociopaths who just shot everyone that got in their way. Iron Man was... the less we talk about Iron Man the better.

Ultimates was just a hot mess of early 00s edginess for the sake of edginess.

In Ultimates the incest comes up. That's what I mean. In Ultimate X-Men they're pretty much the same as 616 just younger and less confident. In Ultimates they're these standoffish, snooty weirdos that only really like each other with SW having her head in the clouds and QS being overly aggressive. They start banging because Magneto had them in the Savage Land with him in the planning stages when there was no one else really and he ran Charles off. Magneto constantly cutting down QS drove him to the only person that loved him, his sister. Though there is a hint that it might not be incest because SW might be Wolverine's kid.

Cap wasn't really an asshole, he just had a hard time adjusting and had a temper. He's shown as trying his hardest to not judge people by his old standards and be the hero. He's just not perfect like 616.

Hank and Jan were in an abusive and toxic relationship. They beat the fuck out of each other till Hank went too far and hospitalized her after setting his ants on her when she shrunk. This actually makes far more sense than the 616. Instead of him being the devil for life to the other Avengers for backhanding her once years ago there's a real reason for life long ostracization.

Hawkeye and Widow are government hitmen.

Spoiler

And Widow is a double agent for Russia. 

Tony is a rich drunk dying of brain cancer that wants to fix  what he can in the world before he goes.

I really enjoy Ultimates 1 and 2. 3 takes a dive. 

There's some solid stuff in the Ultimate Universe that gets overshadowed by Ultimatum being a nightmare. Ultimate Spider-Man probably doesn't need to be mentioned as it's got a good rep, but early Ultimate X-Men was good and I actually think all of Ultimate Fantastic Four was fantastic. They wasted Doom but man, the turn of what happens to those characters and the creation of The Maker is so well done. Plus some of their adaptions of iconic villains and stories are great.

Ultimate Comics: Ultimates was pretty great too, but then part of it was written by Hickman so kind of goes without saying.

My favorite "What If?" I've thought of reading comics is what if the good Magneto from the Marvel Zombie Universe didn't have to stay behind and die but Instead escaped to the Ultimate Universe with Ultimate Reed Richards. How woud he impact the X-Men and The Brotherhood in that Universe?

Screenshot_20200807-224001.png

Lookin like two different people drew this page.

I'm guessing it's in Ultimate Marvel Team-Up 14: Spider-Man and Black Widow. I just get that with Google. I haven't read the Team Up books since my very first Ultimate Marvel read years ago.

Going to make at attempt at reading Spawn again, think I only made it like 3 issues last time.  Let’s see if I can make it 300 this time around

9 hours ago, Maxx said:

Going to make at attempt at reading Spawn again, think I only made it like 3 issues last time.  Let’s see if I can make it 300 this time around

It's not the best but There's some cool stuff if you just let the bad go.  

How are you meant to pronounce Storm's first name?

On 11/08/2020 at 05:07, =BK= said:

How are you meant to pronounce Storm's first name?

From what I can remember from the cartoon...oh-roar-oh

• Like 1

Man, you can tell that Ultimatum was just sprung on the writers. Ultimate X-Men had just made good on the build to Phoenix, merging it and Jean and giving her the powers to turn back time, undo death and alter reality. She's doing all that right up until the issue where the wave hits. They don't have time to get rid of her powers properly so it's just "Oh, the Phoenix is gone now. I was unworthy." .

Vol. 1 of Daredevil goes from being okay, to pretty good in the 70's to great for a good to amount of the 80's and then just it just comes completely undone. Like it's absolutely baffling how fast the thing just completely unravels.