The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

For some people, Daredevil begins and ends with Frank Miller. Personally, I think the series was still great under Denny O'Neil (one of the best Batman writers of all-time) and then Anne Nocenti (who wrote the book for almost 5 years) It wasn't really until the writer after her took over that things started to go downhill. His secret identity being outed was a huge mistake.

Frank Miller is one of my favorite writers, but he's not even in my top 10 list of favorite artists. (I'd probably have him ranked around 12.)

The Frank Miller run was good and really introduced some important aspects of Daredevil lore but I much prefer the Anne Nocenti run in all honesty 

Edit: does anyone know a good starting point to get into Thor?

Edited by Horus

2 hours ago, Horus said:

The Frank Miller run was good and really introduced some important aspects of Daredevil lore but I much prefer the Anne Nocenti run in all honesty 

Edit: does anyone know a good starting point to get into Thor?

Issue #337, from 1983, which is when Walt Simonson took over the book?

On 14/08/2020 at 12:56, =BK= said:

Man, you can tell that Ultimatum was just sprung on the writers. Ultimate X-Men had just made good on the build to Phoenix, merging it and Jean and giving her the powers to turn back time, undo death and alter reality. She's doing all that right up until the issue where the wave hits. They don't have time to get rid of her powers properly so it's just "Oh, the Phoenix is gone now. I was unworthy." .

I still think one of the worst things Ultimate did was crossing the books over. It consistently fucked with some really good stories. It did, however, result in The Maker, which remains one of my favourite "what-ifs" come true.

I love X-Men and Spider-Man crossing over. Kitty and Peter as a couple was a fun twist. 

The only work of Miller's I'm not a fan of is his Batman work, post-Dark Knight Returns. DKR2 was crap, and I haven't read the follow up (ups?. Makes it hard to knowing that its tied to All-Star Batman, where Batman truly was a world classic dick and more or less abused Robin verbally, if not physically.

On 22/08/2020 at 11:01, apsham said:

I’ll agree with the comments that say de-edgelording Miller isn’t a bad thing.

I mean Millar owns that IP doesn't he? I imagine he would've been involved in the decision process.

2 hours ago, TKz said:

I mean Millar owns that IP doesn't he? I imagine he would've been involved in the decision process.

Oh yeah, there's no way that he wasn't involved but that's a good thing in general because maybe now he understands that some of his stuff is stuck in the era that it was made in if it doesn't change slightly.

This might be a long shot, but does anyone know the status of the Life Is Strange First Year boxset? The LiS Twitter account announced back in July that it was coming out in September, but recently Amazon changed the date to December. I've seen a few other places list it as November/December, but then I find other retailers that have the original date. Titan Comics Twitter hasn't said anything about a delay, and neither has the LiS account.

"CAROL DANVERS DOESN'T HAVE WATERMELON TITTIES AND A PILLOW ASS,REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Ugh. Why do the only two My Hero Academia influenced American comics have to be dumpster filler.

I just rewatched it and man it's a shame. The art is actually really awesome. It's cute and colorful and the faces are expressive but they're way too focused on making sure there are titties and asses everywhere. 

I miss the paper smell when reading Shonen Jump.

• 2 weeks later...

Read it before, it did nothing for me at all. Felt like a complete slog to get through despite not being a particularly long run.

I just don't enjoy his writing, and at the risk of sacrilege his art by that point is poor compared to his contemporaries.