The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

99 to go and I get free spicy chicken nuggets for life.

• Like 1

The best page.

Screenshot_20200610-062441.png

But shit, adult Scott is back? Now I'm interested and I'm gonna have to try and catch up on the X-Men side of things.

• Like 1

Cyclops is so weird to me as a character. As a kid he was a big ass boy scout, but these days he is a total badass who has some of the best nuance in comics. Almost all his decisions feel like they come from the character and not some forced place of where he needs to be for the story.

24 minutes ago, Benji said:

Cyclops is so weird to me as a character. As a kid he was a big ass boy scout, but these days he is a total badass who has some of the best nuance in comics. Almost all his decisions feel like they come from the character and not some forced place of where he needs to be for the story.

The prelude to the current X-Men series is pretty much his return to the boy scout attitude - but with far more weight on his shoulders. The mission that they undertaken to make Krakoa possible and his understanding of what he has to do in that situation was the ultimate example of that.

On 05/06/2020 at 13:20, damsher hatfield said:

More business related than anything but DC just cut its distribution with Diamond so that's roughly 1/3 of all of Diamond's business gone not to mention a potentially major blow to comic book stores if DC really is starting a full move away from print media disguised as taking more independence in direct distribution.

So will I still be able to get my DC books at my LCS?

To me, the implication would be that somewhere down the line they'll probably pull out of physical media entirely. I finally got to go inside a comic shop and browse around for the first time since early March and one of the guys working there mentioned that DC did this without giving local comic shops any heads up that the announcement was coming.

1 minute ago, GoGo Yubari said:

To me, the implication would be that somewhere down the line they'll probably pull out of physical media entirely. I finally got to go inside a comic shop and browse around for the first time since early March and one of the guys working there mentioned that DC did this without giving local comic shops any heads up that the announcement was coming.

Given that I don't think they have even set up their digital outreach to the UK yet AFAIK and Diamond are their exclusive distributor here, that seems a little like putting the cart before the horse.

13 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I think they'll have a physical media presence but it'll be at most trade paperbacks plus limited edition hardcovers and such. They'll all but certainly move floppies to digital-only at some point once they better build-out that infrastructure.

Yeah, that's fair, I really just meant individual issues. I bet as long as there are comic shops they might also still do individual issues of series they consider big enough (this upcoming Death Metal thing would be an example), but most individual issues would be direct-to-digital and by proxy something I wouldn't want to bother with anymore.

Outside of video games I have purchased almost no digital media unless it's on an extreme discount and I plan to keep it that way. The best way to digitally consume comics is via the Shonen Jump/Manga Plus model where you just pay a dirty cheap subscription fee and get a large lineup on demand.

US comics are a wholly different beast though and I can't really envision a way that works. So we're stuck with the subpar Comixology model.

Holy crap Marvel Unlimited needs to get their shit together with events and crossovers. I should be able to punch in "Spider-Geddon" and have all the books there in order. But nooooo it's not listed so I can only find the main Spider-Geddon title together which means I have to find a reading list so I can even bother to look up the damn tie ins.

This is why Marvel sucks. They make it so damn hard to just sit down and read a continuous story. Everything gets spin offs and crossovers and renumbers.

Ultimate Marvel was the shit for so long. I could just start on USM 1 and just follow down the number line to the end without issue and not miss anything but the one Lizard story.

Bwah? Seemed fairly straight forward to me when I went through it - just found the event, tapped it and then the list of preludes, suggested order and follow-ups were right there. Marvel Unlimited is a breeze compared to anything else I've tried.

4 hours ago, apsham said:

Bwah? Seemed fairly straight forward to me when I went through it - just found the event, tapped it and then the list of preludes, suggested order and follow-ups were right there. Marvel Unlimited is a breeze compared to anything else I've tried.

Nope. Spider-Geddon isn't under events, just series.

Screenshot_20200612-135011.png

Screenshot_20200612-135028.png

Screenshot_20200612-135039.png

Another free Marvel Unlimited FYI, they seem to have done a big update today and there's loads of black characters added. Black Panther and various offshoots, Falcon, even stuff like Deathlok. Looks great but I was halfway through one they took off...

1 hour ago, apsham said:

Oh weird! I didn't search, I just went from the front page that says Event and scrolled down from their. Search might be buggered.

Ah I found it! It's under reading lists! Kinda makes having an event tab redundant. Still this is good. I use this for my reading time in the pool since I don't feel like novel reading currently. The easier it is just to click and read the better.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I've been really into DC lately but I'll have to drop it if they go all digital. I might still get Wonder Woman but it just won't be the same :( 

Most likely single issues might go digital but you'll still be able to get the trades in print. That's how they distributed Injustice and it was a big hit that way.