The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Ok so the whole batman won't kill anyone deal, that's based on him wanting the law to deal with lawbreakers instead of him doing it right? Or can someone explain it better than I can?

My personal take on it is that he doesn't want to kill for moral reasons plus the trauma of witnessing his parents being murdered. Its also a reason to keep certain villains like the Joker around. Gordon and Batman being unwilling to put him in the ground for some of the things he has done (The Killing Joke, murdering Gordon's wife and Jason Todd) is not realistic. Batman stopping Jason from killing him made me want to vomit. Would have been better if he had just tried and failed, rather than Batman fighting Jason as the Morality Popo. And the `it would make me just as bad as him/if I did, he'd win' thing is just convoluted bullshit to keep him alive. I'd think that putting down a madman who murders people a lot and keeps escaping only to pop up again would be more important than leaving him alive knowing he'll kill again. I liked it a lot better when he'd just seemingly die at the hands of his own traps, only to pop up again with no explanation, rather than the `We're not evil, so we can't kill him!' when they do capture or `he has regeneration abilities due to some made up bullshit element in his spine' garbage to explain how he keeps surviving.

Though, to be fair, in the pre-Robin days (ie, late 1930's), he did kill. And had no problem with it. In his first appearance in Detective Comics #27, he tossed a crook off a roof, and showed no remorse when the main bad guy died. Superman killed, too, but not as much as Batman.

*edited to add* And there are far too many characters with regeneration. I remember when Wolverine was the only one, and he didn't heal nearly as fast as he does now. I had an issue of Uncanny X-Men where they said it took him two weeks to heal from being nearly disembowled by a katana. Since then, they've had him heal fast from being reduced to a skeleton!

P.S. Has that `there are 3 different Jokers' crap been explored or resolved yet?

Edited by GhostMachine

1 hour ago, JMarushin said:

Ok so the whole batman won't kill anyone deal, that's based on him wanting the law to deal with lawbreakers instead of him doing it right? Or can someone explain it better than I can?

1.Bruce's trauma is based around violent death, the last thing he wants to be apart of. It's the same reason for avoiding guns.

2.Killing makes him no better than the killers he hunts in his mind.

3.Bruce is deeply afraid that if he crosses the line once then he'll never be able to stop killing the bad Guys. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Colly said:

It's because he's a goodie.

Thats...not actually a reason. DC has big heroes that will kill when necessary and not feel bad about it like Green Arrow and Wonder Woman.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new Marvel Zombies is interesting. I'm glad it's a brand new thing instead of trying to tack more onto the old story.

So my local game shop was handing out these promos - apparently this month and last month there are six X-Men adjacent comics starting new runs? I just have little cards that are the covers of each of the first editions and who is involved but it looks really neat! There's;

X-Force with Black Tom, Beast, Colossus, Wolverine, Domino, Marvel Girl, Sage & Kid Omega

Excalibur with Captain Britain, Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, Rictor & Apocalypse

Fallen Angels with Cable, Psylocke & X-23

X-Men with a rotating cast

Marauders with Storm, Pyro, Iceman, Kitty Pryde, Lockheed, Bishop & Emma Frost

New Mutants with Mirage, Cypher, Karma, Chamber, Wolfsbane, Mondo, Magik & Sunspot

They all look kind of neat but since I've been away from books for a while uhh... why is Apocalypse on a team with people?

Edited by apsham

6 minutes ago, apsham said:

So my local game shop was handing out these promos - apparently this month and last month there are six X-Men adjacent comics starting new runs? I just have little cards that are the covers of each of the first editions and who is involved but it looks really neat! There's;

X-Force with Black Tom, Beast, Colossus, Wolverine, Domino, Marvel Girl, Sage & Kid Omega

Excalibur with Captain Britain, Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, Rictor & Apocalypse

Fallen Angels with Cable, Psylocke & X-23

X-Men with a rotating cast

Marauders with Storm, Pyro, Iceman, Kitty Pryde, Lockheed, Bishop & Emma Frost

New Mutants with Mirage, Cypher, Karma, Chamber, Wolfsbane, Mondo, Magik & Sunspot

They all look kind of neat but since I've been away from books for a while uhh... why is Apocalypse on a team with people?

When

Professor X and Magneto founded the new mutant nation of Krakoa, Xavier sent out a telepathic call to all mutants, offering amnesty and a place in Krakoa.[121] Apocalypse received the call and traveled to Krakoa with many other former enemies of the X-Men. Declaring that he had spent millennia trying to shape mutantkind into something worthy, he told them that he was proud of what they had accomplished and agreed to submit to all the laws of Krakoa.[122] He was given a place on the ruling body of Krakoa, sitting alongside Xavier and Magneto.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Reveal hidden contents

When

Professor X and Magneto founded the new mutant nation of Krakoa, Xavier sent out a telepathic call to all mutants, offering amnesty and a place in Krakoa.[121] Apocalypse received the call and traveled to Krakoa with many other former enemies of the X-Men. Declaring that he had spent millennia trying to shape mutantkind into something worthy, he told them that he was proud of what they had accomplished and agreed to submit to all the laws of Krakoa.[122] He was given a place on the ruling body of Krakoa, sitting alongside Xavier and Magneto.

Well shit. That's neat.

On 01/11/2019 at 02:16, =BK= said:

The new Marvel Zombies is interesting. I'm glad it's a brand new thing instead of trying to tack more onto the old story.

I just read it and I have a question

Spoiler

How did Wolverine know what they were when he smelled them? That was confusing

32 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Hide contents

Havent read the comics, but a guess:

Logan has a hyper acute sense of smell, so he'd know the specific smells of anyone he's come across in the past. Thus recognise when there's something off...

That skill is one of Wolverine's many 'depends on the writers laziness' abilities.

5 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

There is a theory on Reddit that this is the Logan that Zombie Spider-Man got DNA from so he's delt with Zombies before. I don't think that lines up though because IIRC that's the same universe where Spidey gets his counterpart killed and is the one where everything ends. Maybe I'm wrong though, been a while.

A more simple line of thinking is that at some point this Logan just has delt with some kind of zombie and thus knows what the living dead smell like.

Going over DCeased I had a thought:  What happens if you toss a zombie into a Lazarus Pit?