The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Time to reread 'irredeemable' and 'The Boys' to see if I take anything new from them.

• 2 weeks later...

God I love "The Boys". It's edgelordy and over the top but I love all the characters and the plot comes together amazingly well. The end bums me out though.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Who is this punk rock Sylvester Stallone that Supes is talking to?

That's Manchester Black, a wannabe Superhero who thought murdering criminals was the thing to do as long as people cheered him on.

• Like 1

There's a pretty good Superman animated movie based around that storyline, called Superman vs. The Elite. At one point it was on Netflix, but I dunno if it still is or not. Worth tracking down though.

• Like 1

Comicbook.com reports that Marvel Comics today announced Spider-Man: Life Story, a new six-issue miniseries set to launch in spring 2019. Written by Chip Zdarsky (who recently concluded a truly remarkable run on Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man) and with art from Amazing and Ultimate Spider-Man’s Mark Bagley, Spider-Man: Life Story has a simple premise: Peter Parker became a superhero in 1962. What if we followed his entire life over six decades, as he grew up as the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man in an ever-changing, ever-growing world?

Not only will Life Story examine the act of Peter growing older over the course of its run, it won’t keep his exploits contained to the street-level superhero fights you might expect. The first issue, set in 1966, will see a young Peter tackle a grave test of his commitment to great power and great responsibility, as he wrestles with the United States entering the turmoil of the Vietnam War. The opportunity to watch a version of Peter Parker evolve and grow over such an extended period, while the world around him—along with the very idea of heroes and villains itself—grows ever more involved and complex, is almost unbearably promising, especially since it’ll be explored by two of the most exciting creative talents in recent Spidey history.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-just-revealed-one-of-its-most-intriguing-spider-1831053284

This could be really cool.

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyed League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest issue 2. The first issue showed promise, but was a bit muddled and lacking focus - the parts I enjoyed were more metatextual; the way Moore and O'Neill changed presentation or art style to mimic classic British comics as the story progressed, and the tributes to Leo Baxendale, were all fun.

Issue two, though, combines that playful use of the medium with the story really coming together, and the two add to each other. There's a kind of meta-narrative about the lack of imagination in modern day comics, and about oversaturation of superheroes, that could feel tacked on (as, at times, the Harry Potter elements of LOTG Century 2009 did), and could feel like Alan Moore editorialising, but fit into the broader scope of the franchise perfectly.

There's probably, as with all League comics, countless in-jokes, references and callbacks I've missed, so I'm looking forward to reading up on them.

If it really is Alan Moore's swansong, it seems like it's going to be a good one to go out on.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, The Christmas Fork said:

So seeing as I generally buy comics by volumes, I just started looking at Omnibuses. Are these always entire story arcs all in one or do I have to be careful with these?

You have to be careful to some extent with Omnibuses. Some of them collect entire runs, others seem to be more about a specific villain. For instance, while searching around, I found a lot of Marvel stuff that includes books from two-to-four different decades, but the stories all involve one particular villain. I personally prefer the ones that collect runs, for example, something like Thunderbolts Volume 1, the whole collection, would be great for me, but if they were to say, focus an omnibus on a specific villain or character, and they omit issues that don't involve them, it really drives me nuts.

As much as I love single issues, and their value holds better, I find that trade paperbacks and omnibus style releases are much better for a personal collection. Cheaper, you get more bang for your buck, and they're easier to store. Since I opened my comic shop, I've found that casual readers don't seem to have any interest in single issues anymore. They want to pick up something that will keep them busy longer.

20 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

You have to be careful to some extent with Omnibuses. Some of them collect entire runs, others seem to be more about a specific villain. For instance, while searching around, I found a lot of Marvel stuff that includes books from two-to-four different decades, but the stories all involve one particular villain. I personally prefer the ones that collect runs, for example, something like Thunderbolts Volume 1, the whole collection, would be great for me, but if they were to say, focus an omnibus on a specific villain or character, and they omit issues that don't involve them, it really drives me nuts.

As much as I love single issues, and their value holds better, I find that trade paperbacks and omnibus style releases are much better for a personal collection. Cheaper, you get more bang for your buck, and they're easier to store. Since I opened my comic shop, I've found that casual readers don't seem to have any interest in single issues anymore. They want to pick up something that will keep them busy longer.

That's generally how I collect them. I have Batman's The Long Halloween, now I have the Crisis on Infinite Earths Omnibus. I'd like to collect more of them but I want them to be entire runs so I don't know the best way to find these types. I'm into Marvel and DC both though my favourite hero will always be Batman.

12 minutes ago, The Christmas Fork said:

That's generally how I collect them. I have Batman's The Long Halloween, now I have the Crisis on Infinite Earths Omnibus. I'd like to collect more of them but I want them to be entire runs so I don't know the best way to find these types. I'm into Marvel and DC both though my favourite hero will always be Batman.

Depending on where you buy from, they should list what issues are included. I usually just check on that to make sure that nothing has been left out before I make my purchase.

I fucking love DC comics and I still haven't waded into the Crisises  unless you count Flashpoint because they're dense as hell and complicated.

I just love comics so I tend to buy anything and everything when I have some extra money to spend. Always Superhero/anti-hero stuff though. I don’t buy single issues though so I end up buying collections. I just never know what to buy as far as storylines and keeping with timelines so I end up all over the place.