Weezer Split

Steeb

NEW YORK --

Rivers Cuomo says that, for now, Weezer is "done." Cuomo, the band's bespectacled songwriter and frontman, told MTV that while he remains in touch with his bandmates, "we've never mentioned getting together."

"Really, for the moment, we are done," he said. "And I'm not certain we'll ever make a record again, unless it becomes really obvious to me that we need to do one."

Weezer has released five albums since forming in 1993. The group took a considerable break between 1996's "Pinkerton" and 2001's self-titled disc (typically called "The Green Album"). The band's last release was "Make Believe," in 2005.

The liner notes of that album led to conjecture that it was Weezer's last. They included a quote from a parting soliloquy in Shakespeare's "Tempest," the playwright's last play.

Cuomo, 36, said he has been writing songs, but said, "I don't know what'll happen with these songs -- if anything. ... I certainly don't see them becoming Weezer songs, and I don't really see the point of a solo career. So we'll just have to see."

Jim Merlis, a spokesman for Geffen said that the label had no official response, but did add Cuomo has made similar statements in the past.

Cuomo recently graduated from Harvard and married his longtime girlfriend, Kyoko Ito.

They should have broken up before releasing "Make Believe."

I'm disappointed that I never got to see them live (a farewell tour would have been nice, you bastards), but then again Rivers will probably bring them back together again after another four years to make even worse music.

I thought Make Believe was in line with their other albums. They started making music for the radio a long time ago, and it's still been good IMO. Besides, Make Believe had "Perfect Situation", one of my favorite singles from that year, so it's all good.

Sad to see Weezer split.

Edited by thug

I thought Make Believe was in line with their other albums. They started making music for the radio a long time ago, and it's still been good IMO.

I agree that they did, and the musicianship is pretty good in Make Believe. But the lyrics are amazingly dumb, which is why I can't listen to any song other than "The Other Way" without cringing.

This is why I saw them when they came around with the Foo Fighters this year. Not only because it was a good show with two of my favorites, but because I got the feeling that Weezer was dunzo.

It's interesting to point out that Rivers is probably the only reason that they're done, as his actions are always the one that cause hiatus. He also is a weird cat that I don't think has any love for music himself.

Example, at the show they did a cover of "Big Me" and everyone in the band knew it....except Rivers, who had someone come from the back with a music stand complete with lyrics and how to play it. If you're gonna cover the band that goes on after you, wouldn't you know how to play their songs?...or at least know the lyrics?

This is why I saw them when they came around with the Foo Fighters this year. Not only because it was a good show with two of my favorites, but because I got the feeling that Weezer was dunzo.

It's interesting to point out that Rivers is probably the only reason that they're done, as his actions are always the one that cause hiatus. He also is a weird cat that I don't think has any love for music himself.

Example, at the show they did a cover of "Big Me" and everyone in the band knew it....except Rivers, who had someone come from the back with a music stand complete with lyrics and how to play it. If you're gonna cover the band that goes on after you, wouldn't you know how to play their songs?...or at least know the lyrics?

Rivers Cuomo is a strange, strange man. I remember reading an article about some of the stuff he did inbetween releasing Maladroit and Make Believe, and though I don't remember specifics it was just like "yeah, wow, the stuff in Pinkerton doesn't even BEGIN to scratch the surface of his weirdness."

And yeah, I really wish I had gone to that show when they came to Seattle but I couldn't afford it and I was apprehensive because I thought both bands would be playing mostly stuff from their new records, neither of which I'm overly fond of.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

Foo Fighters only played 5(?) songs off the double disc. I think they saved almost everything from disc two for their current Afoostic tour.

Weezer played 4-5 new songs, but they were all in the first half of the set. They then proceeded to play just about every fan favorite known to man. That's easy to do when your songs are only 3 minutes long and your lead singer doesn't talk at all.

Foo Fighters only played 5(?) songs off the double disc. I think they saved almost everything from disc two for their current Afoostic tour.

Weezer played 4-5 new songs, but they were all in the first half of the set. They then proceeded to play just about every fan favorite known to man. That's easy to do when your songs are only 3 minutes long and your lead singer doesn't talk at all.

Ugh. So I'm a total idiot, then, because I would have absolutely loved a show of Weezer and the Foo Fighters playing all of their old, awesome stuff.

I'm disappointed that I never got to see them live (a farewell tour would have been nice, you bastards), but then again Rivers will probably bring them back together again after another four years to make even worse music.

I really don't get the hate for Make Believe...I actually have it tied with Blue for my favorite.

I think the lyrics are imbecilic, as mentioned earlier. "When you're cruisin' with your friends/In your new Mercedes Benz and you're/ONNNNNNNN DRUUUUUUUUUGS," or perhaps "YOU'RE MY BEST FRIENNNNND/AND I LOVVVVE YOUUUUUUUU." They used to have hooks and choruses that, while pretty simplistic some of the time, were really catchy and fun to sing along with. Not here.

And "Beverly Hills" sounds like what Wheatus' follow-up to "Teenage Dirtbag" would have been if anyone had begun to give a shit about Wheatus once "Teenage Dirtbag" got old. And oh god, that stupid guitar solo.

If this truly is the end of Weezer, Then this blows.

As for Make Believe, I personally like make believe, Though, It's nowhere near the level of the blue album and pinkerton. But I prefer it over Maladroit and the green album. The only song I hate the lyrics to is "my best friend", Which someone mentioned earlier. But "Perfect situation", "Haunt you everyday", "Hold me", "Pardon me", "Peace" are all great.

And yeah, Rivers is a bit of a odd fellow, I mean, The guy locked himself in a closet for 24 hours, Among other weird behavior. But I don't think this is the end, I'm sure we'll get some new Weezer stuff out in about 2-3 years..... Maybe

That may be the truest statement that will ever come out of your mouth, GoGo.

Nonsense. I always speak the truth. I am EWB's Paragon of Pop Culture (not that that makes any sense).

And I suppose I do like "Haunt You Every Day" to an extent. It was a nice change of pace.