The Mars Volta

Numbahs

For 'songs' the first album is definately the place to go. It's also less 'jam-my' than the last two albums. On the first album you've got greats like "Inertiatic ESP", "Eriatarka" (my personal favourite), "Drunkship Of Lanterns", "Roulette Dares"...etc.

Second album is like the halfway house, you've got a more progresive element, and your long on-running songs, but you've also got incredibly catchy moments and certain songs that really scream out at you. "Frances The Mute" is my favourite album.

"Amputechture", I'm not overly sold. Great technicality, but musicianship is not just based on technical merit. There's some cool jams, but ultimately they don't seem to go anywhere, I feel like they're better off saved for the live shows. There's some really catchy moments, but at times I felt like they've basically become a parody of themselves, with the long songs and jamming ands tuff, merely for the sake of it. There's also a couple of flat out poor songs. And not just 'relatively poor' by TMV standards, I mean, POOR!! And on an 8-track album, that's not good.

Edited by YI

Yeah, Omar does way too much "noodling" on Amputechture, as most people put it. Recently though he's been stopping that, so that leaves hope for the 4th LP. Frances is good, but only if you're into long prog-rock jams basically. De-Loused is amazing, not all long songs, and songs are more structured instead of just jams.

Yeah, Omar does way too much "noodling" on Amputechture, as most people put it. Recently though he's been stopping that, so that leaves hope for the 4th LP. Frances is good, but only if you're into long prog-rock jams basically. De-Loused is amazing, not all long songs, and songs are more structured instead of just jams.

See, to me, TMV don't come across as Prog AT ALL. They come across as EXPERIMENTAL, which is different. Prog is stuff like Yes, Dream Theatre, ELP, etc.

TMV just seem to try and play stuff that is technically quite difficult (and the quite is there for a reason, they don't push the difficulty boundaries THAT much) or that is anti-catchy (if that makes sense).

It's almost like they play the way they do just for the sake of it.

I saw TMV live once when they opened for SOAD in Philly..Bad Acid trip opened up the show..they put on an ok, but not great, show. TMV though...I dunno...maybe its just something about jam music that I dont' like. I had always heard great things about them and, when I found out they were opening for SOAD, was kinda excited to see them. But once they started playing, I found them to be rather...I dunno exactly what the word is, just wasn't to my liking

I love TMV and I have late 2005. At first I downloaded a few of their tracks just to see what the big deal was and within a few hours I was a fan.

Cassandra Gemini is probably one of the most epic pieces of music I've ever heard. It's over half an hour, but it seems like it goes by in a few minutes to me.

De-Loused in the Comatorium probably gets more play time in my CD player than anything else since I got it. Though I think Frances the Mute is the better album, Deloused is much easier to listen while I have to be in a certain mood to listen to Frances. I love Amputechture as well, but not nearly as much as the other two.