The Mars Volta

Numbahs

I'm seeing them with the Chili Peppers on the 21st, and am just starting to listen to their music so that I know a little something about them. I never really cared for them the one time I heard them in the past, but in the past night or so I've kinda warmed up to them. It's alright internet background music.

They are weird as fuck sometimes and from what I've heard of of their three CDs in the past 24 hours leads me to believe that their first album is best.

Anyway, any fans?

Edited by Numbahs

Seen them supporting the Chilis in Glasgow in like, 2001 or 2002.

They sucked hard. But as most bands who suck hard, they have fans here on EWB.

The singer has/had a bizarre talent for microphone stand gymnastics however.

That's another thing I've heard about them. Even if you're a fan of their music, that's no guarantee you'll like them live. They just go up there and do their thing for 30-60 minutes. No real agenda.

Edited by Numbahs

They sucked hard. But as most bands who suck hard, they have fans here on EWB.

They seem to have fans in a lot of places, especially considering most of the reviews, CD's or otherwise about them are really good.

A lot of magazines latched onto them, so they generally get quite a bit of press also.

I've seen them twice- both times at Carling Academy in Birmingham. Second time I was ill and I didn't enjoy it so much but the first time was one of the best performances I've ever seen. It was incredible.

I prefer Frances to Deloused. I haven't heard the new one yet, waiting for its full release, but I'm looking forward to it.

That's another thing I've heard about them. Even if you're a fan of their music, that's no guarantee you'll like them live. They just go up there and do their thing for 30-60 minutes. No real agenda.

This brings up an interesting conundrum with these guys. They wind up on high-profile tours with bands that, and let's be honest here, don't mix well with them. I believe that's why they often don't go up there with any set plans.

Although, to be fair, there are few high-profile bands that do mesh well with them. Does make me want a Mars Volta/Tool tour, though.

Cedric is one of those singers where he has off-nights more than spot-on nights. But when he's spot-on, by god is he spot-on.

They generally just improv. Most of the stuff from Frances The Mute was taken from their live improvs from the De-Loused era. They're on tour with the Chili's because Flea & John are good friends with the Volta guys, and John played Omar's parts in the studio for the new album. No Omar on the new album, just John doing what Omar tells him to do. He's like the director of the band now. It's odd.

Tremulant & De-Loused are more song based, and Frances & Amputechture are more free-based improv. I love all of the albums equally, but if I had to pick on, it'd probably be De-Loused. Frances has some horrible tracks (The Widow) and some really fucking good ones (the rest, lol). But De-Loused doesn't have a bad song on it, maybe other than Televators, but it suffers the same fate as The Widow: over-played beyond reason.

Good fucking band, though. I just wish they'd save the improv for the concerts, and not bring it back to the studio. I miss the De-Loused era. =(

Oh, and the Volta circa 2001/2002 were kinda horrible, especially in 2001, seeing as how they hadn't even released an album or EP yet, and were just forming as a band. 2002 wasn't much better, and still hadn't nailed the De-Loused songs. 2003, for me atleast, is their golden age of concerts. 2004/2005 was just improv shit, which I like sometimes.

As Tristy says, they're either unbe-fuckin'-lievable, or average. Luckily, when I went to see them last year they were on. They do play some actual songs, from experience, and searching through gig uploads, but they often change parts and extend them - sometimes beyond belief >_>.

Enjoy it though. Just hope the crowd aren't cunty, as they often are.

Some Volta news courtesy of MTVNews.com:

The Mars Volta have parted ways with drummer Jon Theodore, but have not offered an official explanation for his departure. He's been replaced by Blake Fleming (Laddio Bolocko, Dazzling Killmen), who helped found the Mars Volta in 2001 — hanging around just long enough to record a handful of demos. The band also revealed that guitarist and original At the Drive-In member Pablo Hinojos-Gonzalez would be expanding his onstage duties to include "sound manipulation skills" for the Volta's upcoming tour with the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Fucking rights. The Dazzling Killmen were sweet. I always wondered what happened to the members. Not sure if he's as good as Jon. Ages since I've listened to any Killmen stuff. I used to have "Face Of Collapse" on my PC, some seriously interesting shit (It was like some totally trippy, fucked up hardcore punk-rock-metal hybrid). One of those bands that just totally faded to absolutely nothing. Nigh-on impossible to find anything on them. I only had the CD because it was leant to me and I burnt in on my old PC.

Edited by BillyGunnPinchedMyBum

• 7 months later...

All I can say is...Bleh. Amazing musicians, terrible live show. They have no stage presence and just sort of...play. You can never really tell when one song stops and another starts. I'd say At The Drive-In and Sparta are 110% better. And I don't think their music is really all that great. Of course, every fucking band that references them at concerts for a cheap pop seem to disagree, and so do the little fanboys when I voice my opinion, so what the fuck do I know?

Personally, I haven't heard a valid argument about what makes Volta any good, and the people I've talked to seem to like them just because they're scene.

Volta are good. And I can't believe you didn't like them live. Was it their own show? I've heard nothing but bad things from people who've seen them at fests or supporting- but their show was the best thing I've ever seen (bar Radiohead).

They're an excellent band, but there can't be an arguement for or against it, because it's all subjective to what you like. But I love them.

You should try finding videos of their shows from like, 2003-ish... you can tell there how amazing their stage presence is. But lately, it's been lacking. But it's hard to radiate good energy when everyone in the crowd isn't paying attention because they're just waiting for the Red Hot Chili Peppers to come on.

Oh shit, a new Mars Volta bootleg is out from their show the other day. It's amazing, I'll link if anyone wants it. The new drummer is amazing, and the setlist is fantastic:

Rapid Fire Tollbooth

Roulette Dares

Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus

Viscera Eyes

New Song

Drunkship of Lanterns

Vermicide

Tetragrammaton

Cicatriz ESP

Meccamputechture

Day of the Baphomets

So yeah, if anyone wants the boot, let me know. I'm glad they're touring again, and their new drummer is awesome, and they've got kickass setlists.

Ugh... I've really really tried to like TMV, but I find them to be truley and utterly bleh...

I do, however, have to say I quite like Televators. And I think I like Insiatic (spelling?) ESP.

Every other song I've heard was pretty unmemorable, though. Half of their stuff just sounds like them playing randomly - and thinking it's good.

/rant (for now)