Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Benji

I made a hard choice here between two and three, I decided to make the more contravertial choice for discussion, I personally won't be joining the play for a day or two, but none-the-less, this months game of the month is of course...

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

As last time everyone can move at their own pace, get tips from other members and the such, it's all a group thing, just a note though so people playing for the first time don't get ruined, whenever you reveal a piece of the plot, please point out where you are up to and then insert spoiler tags. For example (don't worry, it won't ruin anything major)...

At the very start...

'Snake' turns out to be Raiden.

And this time I'd like to go past the game with you all and ask, what impact, if any, this game had on not just the industry, but the series itself and the gamers/fans?

Edited by Benji O' Doom~!

I really enjoyed this game when it first came out. There was the obvious part that was slightly dissapointing, the thing Benji mentioned. However, it still made things a bit more interesting and gave the game a nice storyline. I remember watching friends of mine playing it before I got it and watching the story unfold. The game had a movie-esque feel to it when I watched it.

Eh, I find MGS2 a lot more fun and leisurely to play than MGS3, in which I instead find myself inching through the whole game on my belly like some kind of paranoid rodent.

I just feel wrong starting on the Big Shell section without doing the Tanker first. Although I did just play and complete this game a few weeks ago, I may well pick it up again - if I'm not still playing FFX, that is.

And rent or not, trading in MGS2 is a sin and you know it. :shifty:

Edited by stokeriño

Anyone tried it on european extreme?

That's some sick shit.

Fuck that. Try beating Solidus on Extreme mode to collect your final Dog Tag. THATS sick. I ended up using over 100 continues before I managed it :(

But yeah, MGS 3 > MSG 2. But MGS > both of them.

MGS2 is an amazing game, I picked it up used for $5-$10. I just started getting into the MGS games about 2 years ago, and I couldn't find it new anywhere.

It's funny though, I just started a new file on MGS3 on Sunday. I think that it's a bit better than Sons of Liberty, but that's just me. If I finish that soon, I might start MGS2 again.

Anyone tried it on european extreme?

That's some sick shit.

Fuck that. Try beating Solidus on Extreme mode to collect your final Dog Tag. THATS sick. I ended up using over 100 continues before I managed it :(

Been there, done that. But am I the only one who actually found the Metal Gear RAYs tougher to beat then Solidus? But I managed it somehow and I actually got each and every one of those damn dog tags.

I can't actually remember, to be honest. I got them all long before Substance came out, and I never tried it ever again. But I do remember the bit where you're being choked by Solidus before the fight incredibly tough to get by. The bit thats like the torture scene from MGS1? Complete bitch.

I can't actually remember, to be honest. I got them all long before Substance came out, and I never tried it ever again. But I do remember the bit where you're being choked by Solidus before the fight incredibly tough to get by. The bit thats like the torture scene from MGS1? Complete bitch.

Grrr, Kojima should do a re-make of MGS 1 for Playstation 2, like he did for GameCube in form of Twin Snakes. I've played Sons of Liberty through twice and now I'm re-playing Snake Eater on European Extreme (It's. Kinda. Hard.) I mean, I have played the original game with my friends once but experiencing the graphics in that game after playing the sequels was a bit... Meh.

But SOL should have all the videos and cutscenes in the game collected to one section, like in MGS 3's Demo Theater :shifty:

Kojima's delicate hand over the game is just superb, for example stuff like:

The guard weeing over the rail and if you walk through it he realises something is wrong and spots you....

By tapping on the breasts or the groin of the poster in the locker "she" alerts the guards...

Swimming through the water with whats-her-name on your back...

The final Solid Snake cutscene in the tanker when everything goes pearshaped and Metal Gear comes to life...

Snake and Raiden on the deck, Metal Gear dives into the water and it's Snake who can break free and dive in after it...

Comments being made about what you entered on the dog tags at the beginning of the game...

The gameplay is excellent, but he's got such an artist's flair for the games, it makes the series the best of any series.

Going off the subject a little, the way of defeating Psycho Mantis in MGS:

Moving your controller over to port 2 so that he "can't read your mind" is incredible