The 2006/2007 TV Season Thus Far

TGC

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Friday Night Lights", which I thought would have been NBC's safest bet when the schedule came out in June, pretty much tanked with a 4.7 rating. A "Law & Order" rerun probably would have drawn more.

Monday: Heroes. Seriously, this is a comic book brought to the small screen (minus the costumes, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a cape or two by season's end). How could I not like it. I imagine it's not for everyone, and I've heard some complaints from people expecting it to be whiz-bam X-Men action right out of the gate, but they blew up a train in the pilot. How fucking cool is that?

Tuesday: House. I love Hugh Laurie in a manly, heterosexual way. Absolutely. He is everything I want to be when I grow up. Damn baseball pre-empting it. :thumbsdown:

Wednesday: Jericho. This show went from being charmingly decent to abysmal in one short week. Man, that second episode was so cliche and poorly written, I found myself chuckling uncomfortably at some of the awful dialogue and not-so-clever twists. Poof, just like Denver, this one's off my radar.

Wednesday: Lost. Lost is on borrowed time with me. I don't need answers to every little bit of minutiae in the series, but I need to be reassured that the show's creators know where they're going with this. If it's a David Lynch exercise in fucking with the audience, I'll pass, and for good.

Wednesday: Kidnapped. One of the better new shows I took a chance on. The characters are intriguing at least, but with lots of room for further development as the series progresses. There's a big pitfall, however, here that the show needs to avoid, in that a single kidnapping might not provide enough dramatic oomph to sustain a season. They're two for two, and I'll allow for a misstep at some point along the way, but it's an uphill climb.

Thursday: Earl/Office/UFC/TNA. My favorite block of the week, if for no other reason, because of its diversity. I enjoy each of these shows for a different reason. They don't always deliver week-in, week-out (I'm lookin' at YOU, TNA!), but it's my favorite day of TV by far.

Friday-Saturday: Only fags watch TV on Fridays & Saturdays, and no, you don't get a pass for Smackdown. Sorry.

Sunday: Football. NFL, not any of this soccer crap. Okay, okay, that's flamebaiting... Sorry. I likes the futbol, too. :P

Sunday: The Amazing Race. I've watched every episode of this "reality show", and it's been up and down, but as a big fan of travel, it's more good than bad, especially when some bim gets dumped face-first off a mule cart.

Monday: Studio 60

Tuesday: Nothing really

Wednesday: South Park

Thursday: My Name Is Earl, The Office, Grey's Anatomy

Friday: Nothing (normally out at either a football game or other things)

Saturday: College Football if anything

Sunday: NFL, Family Guy (ocassionaly)

I've got a question that might as well go here. I've heard a lot of good things about Greys Anatomy and was wondering, is it worth it to go back to the first 2 seasons and get caught up? Or shall I just check out the 3rd season? If I do would I miss much and basically is the show any good?

• 5 weeks later...

The Singles Table got its episode order trimmed from 13 to 6 episodes today. Everytime Kevin Reilly comes close to being a deity, shit like this happens and makes him merely an awesome mortal again. :(

Any news as to why The Singles Table was cut so short?

Also, on the recommendation of Beaty who said it was pretty decent, I watched the first four episodes of 30 Rock. This show is bizarre. It's either on all the way and incredibly funny, or its totally off and not in the least bit watchable. Tina Fey tries too hard, while Alec Baldwin is top notch all the way through. The Kevin The NBC Page character is great, and Tracy Morgan is very funny, but the rest of the cast just falls flat. This show COULD have a nice long life, and I am sure the move to Thursdays will benefit it, but it needs some serious work.

Still, it is funnier than The Office.

I'd guess they're either confident in their other pilots or saw the reshot episodes with Alicia Silverstone and realised what a terrible mistake they'd made. Either way, some are saying NBC may not even air it, which would be a similar fate to the one met by another John Cho pilot "The Men's Room".