Your Top 10

YI

Okay, Top 10 current songs. That's 'new' songs. They don't have to be released as singles, or whatnot. No big write-ups are needed or anything, just what new songs are you loving the most at the minute.

Okay, I'll kick us off. I'll be going into depth (As I always do, even when I don't want to). And all my songs either are singles, have videos, or are avaible for free (On the bands website of on myspace). Basically used to promote the album in some shape or form.

10. "15 Minutes" by The T4 Project (Album : Name/Date Unknown)

Link : http://www.myspace.com/t4project

More and more recently I've been finding myself gaining the elitest point of view that music must be a borderline technical masterpiece, to be considered good. Whilst I admit that this song, or the group in general do seem a little boring (I blame the drumming) they do show that a 'basic' song can not only be catchy, but also 'good'. The T4 Project are basically a 'supergroup', who are currently unsigned (Basically fishing for a 'big contract'). I wasn't impressed at first, but gave them a chance purely because of the lead singer. They've grown on me, this song especially (It's the only song that's survived all myspace song transitions, so I presume this will be their 'big song'...or whatever). Listening to it you learn to appreciate the little things. Such as the walking bass line around 0:33 etc. It's a nice little song. Back to basics. And I've been finding myself humming it on many an occasion.

9. "America" by Razorlight (Album : Razlorlight, Single : October 2nd)

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQjHeh_quBY

If I'm to be totally honest, I don't quite understand the Razlorlight hate. Besides the fact the drummer may be the ugliest motherfucker on the face of the planet. They're a damn site more creative than most of the other britpop resurgence/indie bands out there (Or whatever they're being called nowadays). I am still a little iffy on the new album, purely for the fact that when you finished listening to it, you still get the feeling of "Is that it?". The 10 tracks just don't seem like a full album. I was also hesitent on the first single, I adored the "Remember when you were young, you'd lose yourself" bit, then it'd just die again. But when I first heard the album, this was thet rack that stood out for me. Horrifically catchy, beautiful. I like the fact that Razorlight haven't neglected the softness again in this album (Which I thought was great on the first album, as most of the indie bands around that time weren't doing it). But at the end of the day, it's all about the chorus. Which is just too god damn catchy.

8. "Prisoner Echoes" by Strike Anywhere (Album : Dead FM)

Link : http://www.myspace.com/strikeanywhere

Strike Anywhere are just one of those bands that I just cannot help to love. They're angry, frantic, but at the same time (Especially a lot on the new album) just down right catchy. And this song is a perfect example. It's got quite possibly one of the best, sing along choruses I've ever heard. It'd be an amazing song to see them play live (They're coming to Leeds in November, I might have to convince some people to drive down). I've seen that some people aren't happy about the new album because it's a sort of 'sellout' record. As it's not as loud as the previous albums. I don't really see much difference. But then again I feel SA are like one of those bands like Pennywise, where every bit of material could be on any album. This album I find to be a tad catchier, but then again I found the last album to be fundamentally sound, only a little boring. Calling this album a sell out album is stupid. They have little to no chance of gaining any major mainstream attention. It's just not the in thing. Especially with the 'double time' drumming, or whatever it's called, being used a lot.

7. "Another Night" by Heavens (Album : Patent Pending)

Link : http://www.myspace.com/heavensband

The album was released last week (Though I've had it for ages...god bless the internet). The only major problem I have with Matt Skiba's work, is that whether it be Alk3, acoustic or now Heaven's material, it always sounds as though it's an Alkaline Trio song. That's the only problem that I have with this album. It's dark, menacing and I adore that (Especially with Skiba's voice, it just turns the album into a thing of beauty). The vocal line on this song, reminds me of an Alk3 song, but I just cannot name it. The major saving grace of this song is the horrifically catchy chorus. Heaven's are definately a band that grow on you. I saw someone once describe them as "Like Matt Skiba singing over Interpol songs", which I just can't help but agree with. I still would have liked Skiba to do something purely solo.

6. "Tell Me" by Rooney (Album : Out October 10, 2006)

Link :

My Chemical Romance take not. If you want to sound 'influenced' by Queen, listen to this song. Don't just go ripping them off. Rooney are one of those 'special' bands out there, that actually had a recognisable sound that sounded 'nothing' like anything else. This is incredibly rare this day and age, especially for an indie band. Their self titled album just seemed so fresh. Granted you could find snippets of influences and stuff, but if you'd heard them once before, you'd know it was Rooney. And this song is a perfect example of this. It has some very Queen esq moments. The emphatic key change. The guitar part going on underneath the buildup to the last chorus (And in the chorus itself I believe...it's been a while since I've listened to it with headphones on). It's got an anthematic chorus, written to the 'lyrical precision' and 'expertise' that only Rooney can. But that doesn't really matter. Rooney's choruses are much like The Zutons' chrouses. If you get two different lines then that's poetry. But they're fun to listen to, and at the end of the day that's what matters.

5. "Turn Out The Light" by The New Amsterdams (Album : Story Like A Scar)

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6188Ns1G80

For those of you who have been paying any attention to anything I have been saying in recent months, you'll know I've been shitting all over this release. Because it's a god awful album. 9 songs (I refuse to count the reprise), under 30 minutes. That's not an album, that's a piece of shit. And most of the songs are garbage. But this, this is AMAZING!! If there was ever a case of a single song redeeming an album this may well be it (Well besides, "Hey Micky you're so fine...You're so fine you blow my mind, Hey Micky!". Listening to the New Amsterdams (And in particular this song) it's hard to believe this is the Matt Pryor that fronted The Get Up Kids (Well not that hard, as he still sounds exactly the fucking same). The Matt Pryor that penned "Stay Gold, Ponyboy", "I'm a Loner Dottie, A Rebel". This just seems a million miles from such works (Though some songs do scream "I WANT TO BE A GET UP KID, AGAIN"...I say scream...because it's more like a wimper...because the songs lack any sort of drive that made the Get Up Kids as great as they are). Basically, this song is the tits. I'll go on record and say it may potentially be Pryor at his best. It's so beautiful.

4. "Starlight" by Muse (Album : Black Holes & Revelations, Single : Out Now)

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHIh0wo96GM

It is one of the simpler Muse songs (I know this, purely by the fact I can play the piano parts...which should never be able to happen in a Muse song), with the risk of sound as though I just repeat the same things over and over again, it has a truly amazing, anthematic chorus. And a beautiful piano riff, which pretty much makes the song. It's just so catchy, I cannot help but get suckered in.

3. "Put Us Back Together Right" by The Headlights

(Album : Kill Them With Kindness)

Link : http://www.myspace.com/headlights

It's very rare in this day and age to come across a band that you can call sweet and fun. These days it's seemingly all about crunching guitars and solo's, but The Headlights go the opposite direction producing a brand of feel good, bouncy, indie-pop. If only the woman were attractive and we'd have a perfect band. This song pretty much gives the listener a best possible look at the album. A slow, quiet start, before it 'kicks in'. A nice little synth riff and a catchy little chorus. If you don't like this band you're gay. That's all I say.

2. "The Wolf is Loose" by Mastodon

(Album : Blood Mountain)

Link : http://www.myspace.com/mastodon

I heard Mastodon being pimped out around here a long time ago, and a few months back I eventually decided to give them a listen, picking up Leviathan. I enjoyed it, but I never really listened to it all that much. Then the hype came for Blood Mountain. I found myself suckered in by the two original songs on their myspace, then this followed. I still actually haven't got round to listening to the full album yet (Though I've got it). But this song just continues to blow me away. Great guitars. Powerful vocals. What else can you ask for. My love for these guys grows by the day. And with people hyping up "Blood Mountain" as a potential album of the year, I'm almost too scared to listen to it, incase it doesn't meet my expectations.

AND FINALLY.......

1. "PLUG & PLAY" by BEERBONG

(Album : Murder Party - Out November)

Link : http://www.myspace.com/beerbong

Hearing this song was like a swift kick to the nuts. This band was the total opposite of the T4 Project. The T4 Project's stuff often drags due to the slow drumming, this stuff is flies, purely for the fact the drummer is like...insane. Well, not insane. But definately, SHIT-SHIT-HOT! I absolutely adore the singers voice. Plus they're a fucking Italian hardcore punk band. Awesome.

So yeah...I got bored of writing lots. :shifty:

And I've got no link to the Rooney one. You can download it from their site, but you have to sign up. I was contemplating uploading it somewhere, but i'm not sure if the mods would allow it, even though the band are giving it away for 'free'.

Edited by Mr. Kurt McKenna

10) The Blood Brothers - Big Gold AK47

9) Papa Roach - To Be Loved

8) Guillemots - Made Up Lovesong #43

7) The Rapture - Get Myself Into It

6) Plan B - Sik 2 Def

5) Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around.../...Comes Around

4) Guillemots - Sao Paolo

3) Guillemots - Through The Windowpane

2) Justin Timberlake - My Love [Feat. T.I.]

1) Guillemots - Trains To Brazil

That's right, four Guillemots songs, and two JT tracks. JT's entries are down to it being pure 'psyche-up' music. It gets me in a good frame of mind to leave the house with, and I find the whole album a joy to listen to.

Not as much of a joy, however, as I find the Guillemots' album, which is divine from start to finish. So gentle, and simplistic, yet hard-hitting and complex. Sounds like a contradiction, I know, but it somehow manages to sound complex, whilst really being simplistic, and the songs are so gentle, and sweet, and glorious, whilst still having a nice kick to them, whether that be through tugging at the heartstrings, or through sheer euphoria. 'Trains To Brazil' gets the nod because of the sentiment. It's sweet, whilst still being damningly upbeat. Lines such as "I'm just thankful to be facing the day, 'cause days don't get you far when you're gone" and "To those of you who mourn your life from one day to the next, well let them take you next. Can't you live and be thankful you're here? See it could be you, tomorrow, next year." are just so joyful, and positive, that you can't help but love it. It's been a long, long time since I could really say one album, bam, straight up, best album of the year. This is Guillemots year.

10. Nightwish - The Kinslayer

09. Motorhead - God Was Never On Your Side

08. Prince - Little Red Corvette

07. Ramms+ein - Sehnsucht

06. Three Dog Night - Mama Told Me Not To Come

05. Zakk Wylde - Candle In The Wind (Live)

04. Brand New Sin - Days Are Numbered

03. Collective Soul - Better Now

02. Dragonforce - Prepare For War

01. Metallica - Killing Time

My favorite songs from the last couple months. Also, in the last month in music, only a couple artists have caught my intrest. I'm not very big on current music anyway.

Billy Talent- "Red Flag"

Billy Talent- "Devil in a Midnight Mass"

Evanscene- "Wake me when your Sober" (i think thats the name)

Nickelback- their new hit, not sure of the name

Red Hot Chili Peppers- "Dani California"

Stone Sour- "Through Glass"

Stone Sour- "1st Person"

Stone Sour- "30_30_150"

Weird Al- "White and Nerdy"

Weird Al- "Don't Download This Song"

My favorite songs from the last couple months. Also, in the last month in music, only a couple artists have caught my intrest. I'm not very big on current music anyway.

Billy Talent- "Red Flag"

Stone Sour- "1st Person"

Stone Sour- "30_30_150"

1. Chelsea Dagger - The Fratellis

2. Starlight - Muse

3. Empire - Kasabian

4. For the Girl - The Fratellis

5. Leave Before the Lights come on - The Arctic Monkeys

6. Kiss Me Off - Scissor Sisters

7. SexyBack - Justin Timberlake

8. America - Razorlight

9 . When you were young - The Killers

10. Creepin Up the Backstairs - The Fratellis

Billy Talent- "Red Flag"

Stone Sour- "1st Person"

Stone Sour- "30_30_150"

1. Placebo - Meds

2. Stone Sour - 50/50-150 hates

3. ¡Forward, Russia! - Thirteen

4. Luie Hond - Met je Poes in de Playboy

5. Infadels - Love like Semtex

6. Danko Jones - Baby Hates Me

7. Scissor Scisters - Feel like dancing

8. Stone Sour - Trough the Glass

9. Wednesday 13 - Till death do us Party

10.Wolfmother - White Unicorn

That would be mine, they're all new over here but probably aren't in the UK/US....

Billy Talent- "Red Flag"

Stone Sour- "1st Person"

Stone Sour- "30_30_150"

That "Red Flag" song was on NHL 06, which was a full year ago. The version on the album is almost the same, but there are some minor differences that make me like the older one better.

The only new song, and I only call it new because I had never heard it, that I am in love with right now is "This Is The End (For You My Friend) by Anti-Flag, because it's on NHL 07.

It's on Burnout Takedown too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bored again. No long rants this time;

10. "Do It Alone" by Sugarcult (NEW)

9. "America" by Razorlight (-)

8. "Put Us Back Together Right" by The Headlights (DOWN 5)

7. "Tell Me" by Rooney (DOWN 1)

6. "Starlight" by Muse (DOWN 2)

5. "O Valencia" by The Decemberists (NEW)

4. "The Wolf is Loose" by Mastodon (DOWN 2)

3. "Turn Out The Light" by The New Amsterdams (UP 2)

2. "The LA-Z-Boy 500" by The Falcon (NEW)

1. "Plug & Play" by BeerBong (-)

1. The Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)

2. This Mortal Coil - Song To the Siren

3. K-Os - Electrik HeaT / The SeekwiLL

4. A.C. Newman - Come Crash

5. Ill Nino - Zombie Eaters

6. The Deftones - Rapture

7. Lupe Fiasco - Kick Push

8. Alexisonfire - This Could Be Anywhere In the World

9. DJ Shadow - Backstage Girl (ft. Phonte Coleman)

10. Jack Johnson - Upside Down

10. Socio - Stone Sour

9. Rough Hands - Alexisonfire

8. Hole in the Earth - Deftones

7. Moth - Audioslave

6. The Kill - 30 Seconds to Mars

5. Pain - Three Days Grace

4. 30/30 150 - Stone Sour

3. Fallen Leaves - Billy Talent

2. Haddonfield - Wednesday 13

1. This Could Be Anywhere in the World - Alexisonfire

I worked my way down from #1... there may be a song or two i'm forgeting and 9/10 I didn't want to duplicate from bands, but i just couldn't think of anymore "new" songs that i've been listening to a lot...