Xbox 360 vs PS2

TheCrippler

Ok, I currently have a PS2, which I enjoy immensely. However, I played on a 360 for the first time the other day, and to put it bluntly, it was fucking awesome.

I don't actually know anything about 360's though, as I've never looked into them. So I guess what I'm asking is, what are the pro's and con's of each system, and what are the best games for the 360? (Either currently available, or soon to be released)

The main pro I see for PS2 are the wide selection of games (if the 360 is backwards compatible with old xbox games though, which i assume it is, this is a moot point)

The main pro for the Xbox is that it's next gen, and seems to have a lot of 'original' games coming out for it.

If anybody can confirm that they are releasing a new Star Wars : KOTOR game on 360 then this discusion is pointless as i will definately buy one.

If you're a sports fan, I wouldn't bother, as the 360 versions of most sports titles I've heard about, particularly EA's, are stripped down and a bit shit.

Not every X-Box game is backwards compatible. I think there's a list somewhere, I'm not sure.

The only reason I play on the 360 is because my brother got it for his 18th birthday or something. It's cool, but I wouldn't have bought one myself.

Backwards Compatible Xbox Games.

Lists all the old Xbox games that will work with the Xbox 360 (AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A HARD DRIVE which comes with the premium pack). Once you connect to Xbox Live it updates your HD to play any games added to the list. For example, Doom3 was originally not backwards compatible, but since then the Xbox 360 has had a couple of auto-download updates and now Doom3 works. This is why the list has the little 'new' or 'updated' signs next to them on the list.

There is no KOTORIII in production. Yet. The guys who made the original which was also used as a base for the second game (BioWare) have been developing an exciting game that's sort of like the KOTOR games, but given many many improvements and differences. It's like a first-person RPG from the videos. Someone else called it an intergalactic Zelda but with more talking.

With the massive sales of the KOTOR games, it seems inevitable that there will be a KOTORIII, since it's bound to sell well if it's anything like the past two.

But obviously since there's no official word, they may not bother. BioWare also made a game called Jade Empire on the Xbox, which is also backwards compatible. It's like KOTOR a lot, but everything's overhauled to suit the Chinese setting.

I say if you can afford it, go for it.

If you're curious about the Xbox/360 games I'd give Gamespy a visit...

360 game reviews: here.

Xbox game reviews (the highest selling games are backwards compatible): here.

I prefer Gamespy for their pro/con section in their reviews. You can also use that system to find any games that got over 4 stars, or any games that got 5 stars and the like. I'd say anything 4 stars or above is pretty damn good.

Edited by The Kraig

The sports titles are stripped down because they are completely new engines. They should have all the old features in next years title. And anyways, NHL 07 adds the skill stick and it makes the game fucking amazing.

If you have XBOX Live, you can download a file from there that allows you to play. Out of the box, I think only a few games like Halo 2 are playable. Its something to do with the system being based on completely different software then the original XBOX.

There is no KOTORIII in production. Yet. The guys who made the original which was also used as a base for the second game (BioWare) have been developing an exciting game that's sort of like the KOTOR games, but given many many improvements and differences. It's like a first-person RPG from the videos. Someone else called it an intergalactic Zelda but with more talking.

The game is called Mass Effect and I believe is set for release the second week in January. The scale of the game is massive, I think there's something like at least a dozen or two worlds you can freely roam around. It looks set to become one of the best RPG's ever.

If there is a KOTOR III I expect Activision to hand it over to a third developer. Bioware are tied up, Obsidian Entertainment who did the second game are just wrapping up Neverwinter Nights 2 and will be working on an RPG with Sega after that.

The game is called Mass Effect and I believe is set for release the second week in January. The scale of the game is massive, I think there's something like at least a dozen or two worlds you can freely roam around. It looks set to become one of the best RPG's ever.

Edited by Gongsun Zan

I'll hijack this if I may to ask a question. I remember hearing people talking about using their monitors as a cheaper alternative to a HD TV. If this can be done, is it availible for all TFT's?

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronic...or/Product.html

At £130 and 19" that seems like a good option to me so if someone could tell me if that would be compatible then that'd be great. Also, what kind of quality can it offer in comparison to a standard TV set?

Edited by King ROOOOOOOONEY!

Guest We Are Robots

The PS2 is a better system than the 360 as far as simply the number of great titles available goes, but it's not quite a fair comparison considering that the PS2 has been around way longer.

I have a PS2, and it's worth it's current price used just to play Disgaea 1 and 2.