Official A-League Thread

Chris the Human

6-0 in the grand final IS a bad thing. All the people in my sports management class were talking about it being a shit match. Doesn't do much for the sport if the grand final is so one-sided.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6-0 in the grand final IS a bad thing. All the people in my sports management class were talking about it being a shit match. Doesn't do much for the sport if the grand final is so one-sided.

Wasn't so long ago that Brisbane beat Canterbury 38-12 in a grand final. Thrashings happen. And if your sports management class thought it was a shit match, I get the idea that maybe they didn't watch it. Because despite the scoreline, it had some very good passages of play and had a great feel about it.

And yeah, they watched it (I didn't, myself). I think they're just used to better quality football in the EPL.

It goes without saying that the EPL is leagues ahead of the A-League, it's a crazy comparison but people keep making it. It's like comparing the NRL to the French national league, really. But compared to lost season, this year was a huge improvement, and I'd imagine that will only improve now that Perth and New Zealand have new owners.

It's because people keep hyping it up as the best thing to ever happen in Australia. I hope whoever plays in the Asian comp gets knocked straight out to keep them quiet

• 4 weeks later...

While the season is over for another year, there's been some interesting developments of late in the game downunder. A number of former Socceroos (Lljubo Milocevic, Paul Agostino, and Danny Tiatto) are back downunder for the next season, Fred and Milton Rodriguez have left (for DC United and Colombia respectively), and Sydney scored an historic 2-1 win in their first Asian Champions League game.

But the real news at the moment is the two horse race between Wellington and Townsville for the A-League licence made available when the New Zealand Knights went bankrupt. While Wellington are ahead because of the FFA's insistence on supporting a confederacy we're no longer a part of - Townsville have already signed a coach and begun scouting South American for players with flair to make Tropical Football Townsville (the current name) into an attractive addition to the game.

Personally, I'd love to see Townsville in the competition. I think a New Zealand side in an Australian league stopped making sense as soon as we moved to Asia and they remained behind in Oceania.

• 1 month later...

Some interesting rumours circulating that Phillip Cocu is in negotiations with Sydney FC. Guus Hiddink has been in his ear about how wonderful football is down here. Nice to know he's willing to lie for us.

Conversely, the Newcastle Jets were interested in Hamilton 'I killed you in a car accident' Ricard until he got sentenced to three years jail.