Official A-League Thread

Chris the Human

Just browsing and a saw this, pretty funny stuff. I keep imagining a Homer/Bart Simpson-like scene.

Adelaide coach faces punishment after 'throttling' player

MELBOURNE, Oct 17 (Reuters) - The coach of Australian A-League side Adelaide United is to face a disciplinary hearing on Wednesday after putting his hand around the throat of an opposing team's player, Football Federation Australia (FFA) said.

John Kosmina held Melbourne Victory player Kevin Muscat round the neck after the player knocked the coach off his seat as they scuffled for the ball during an A-League match at Melbourne's Telstra Dome on Sunday.

Kosmina, who has recently acted as assistant to Socceroos coach Graham Arnold, was separated from Muscat by other players and officials before Adelaide went on to win 1-0 and inflict the first defeat of the season on the previously perfect Victory.

'The sort of behaviour that we observed ... is unacceptable and not appropriate for the head coach of an A-League club,' said the FFA's head of operations Matt Carroll in a statement.

'We have set a very high standard of behaviour for all coaches and players and this sort of incident will not be tolerated in the A-League.' Kosmina, who was sent tumbling from his plastic white seat at pitchside, was sent off from the technical area by the referee while Muscat was given a yellow card, and the FFA said the former Glasgow Rangers player would face no further action.

'I don't like being assaulted,' Kosmina told local media.

'I went to pick up the ball and got cleaned up for no apparent reason. He's not supposed to come into our technical area.'

Kosmina could face a lengthy ban and fine during the hearing to be held in Sydney.

Edited by The Kraig

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tequilla Rockin' Bird

Duncan Ferguson, (born December 27, 1971 in Stirling, Scotland) is a Scottish football player currently unattached to a club, although it is believed he will be signing on a short contract for Perth Glory, a club in the Hyundai A-League, the top division in Australia.

To be fair, Muscat really didn't do anything. Calling it a 'push' is a little rich, and he didn't do anything even when Kosmina was in his face and trying to choke him. I'm just about to post a thread about Noel Gallaghar's comments regarding Australian football. Take a look.

• 2 weeks later...

Three on the trot for Newcastle! After the 3-0 win over New Zealand to get things rolling, we've beaten then second placed Queensland 1-0 in Brisbane, and followed it up last night with a commanding 2-1 win over second placed Adelaide United. Did anyone see Nick Carle's match-winner? You wouldn't have thought it was his first goal in a year. Length of the field run followed by the long range shot? Awesome stuff. Easily the greatest A-League goal ever.

It's the halfway point in the season and I guess it's as good a time as any to throw out some predictions. So, what do you think the final ladder will look like, who do you think will win the final, who will be the top goal-scorer, and who will win player of the year?

1. Melbourne Victory

The way they fought back for a 3 all draw against Central Coast despite being down to nine men was inspirational. I can't see anybody beating them when it matters.

2. Newcastle Jets

On a three game winning streak and starting to find some real form. Griffiths, Carle, and Rodriguez are perhaps three of the most potent attackers in the league and they'll go from strength to strength as their confidence grows.

3. Queensland Roar

Despite some recent indifferent form, they've got the flair and potency in the likes of Zhang and Lynch to make it into the top four.

4. Adelaide United

Romario's four game guest stint should add some real potency to the pairing of Qu Shenqing and Nathan Burns up front - even though it's short term, they should be aiming to win all four games in his presence and cement a finals berth.

5. Central Coast Mariners

I don't think the miracle run of last season can be repeated. Whilst they've got some good players, they don't have any stand-out stars that can give them a winning edge in the tight matches.

6. Sydney FC

A shit season for Sydney, and unless they can lure both Carbone and Zola over here - I don't think they'll be able to rally. They're missing talent through injury, have off-field issues, and a coach who has lost the confidence of his players.

7. Perth Glory

Just don't have the class to make the finals. Despotovski is past his prime and Laziridis can't carry the side on his own.

8. New Zealand Knights

The only prediction I'm 100% fine with making - the Knights are atrocious. They've got one or two decent players like Malek Buari and Neil Emblem - but the rest is dead weight. Major changes need to be make.

Champions: Melbourne Victory

Top Goal-Scorer: Danny Allsopp (Melbourne)

Player of the Year: Nick Carle (Newcastle)

• 1 month later...

Been quiet for a while, but thought it worth noting that last night's Melbourne vs. Sydney FC game drew an Australian record crowd of 50,333 - demolishing the previous record set by Perth/Wollongong in the old NSL Grand Final. It's a fucking impressive achievement for the A-League to be drawing a better than average Premier League crowd for a club game, and a tribute to just how much work the Victory have done to endear themselves to Melbourne.

The AFC must be regretting not giving Melbourne their rightful place in the Asian Club Championship - because they'd certainly have added some insane media interest to the tournament. Sydney and Adelaide aren't terrible representatives, but they're no Melbourne.

Been quiet for a while, but thought it worth noting that last night's Melbourne vs. Sydney FC game drew an Australian record crowd of 50,333 - demolishing the previous record set by Perth/Wollongong in the old NSL Grand Final. It's a fucking impressive achievement for the A-League to be drawing a better than average Premier League crowd for a club game, and a tribute to just how much work the Victory have done to endear themselves to Melbourne.

Well to be fair, only three grounds iirc in the EPL can hold 50k or more.

Well to be fair, only three grounds iirc in the EPL can hold 50k or more.

And to be fair, a number of EPL teams with smaller stadiums are also failing to sell out games. 50,000 club game in Australia is absolutely insane. AFL haven't drawn a crowd that big at that venue in four years, and the NRL never draws that for club games.

As Footy Manager Handheld has the Aussie league I feel I may as well try it out sometime. Any choice for a good team to play, one who normally come 3rd/4th and maybe have a player I've heard of...

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump this but it's been a while since anything was posted on here.

Well last night was the Grand Final between the two biggest rivals in the A-League's short history. Melbourne Victory took on Adelaide United in front of 55,000+ people at the Telstra Dome in Melbourne...and i was fortunate enough to obtain a ticket....

...and i am so pleased that i did because Melbourne put on a show in front of it's fans to win the Grand Final!!!! I am still recovering from the post match celebrations, but what a night. Not only did Melbourne win, but the goals just kept raining down as the final score was.....

...wait for it.......

...wait for it.......

...here it comes....

...i promise i'm not lying!......

6-0!!!!

Archie Thompson scored a lazy 5 for himself with youngster Kristian Sarkies getting the 6th.

I honestly did not expect it to be one sided, but i sure as heck 'aint complaining! On to the Victory celebrations this week in Melbourne with a Club BBQ day on Thursday 22nd Feb for all Victory fans!

STAND UP FOR VICTORY!!