Official A-League Thread

Chris the Human

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me get this straight.....you came into this thread titled "Official A-League Thread" to basically offer your views that Melbourne are bandwagon jumpers and that following an A-League club is for Gay people.

Did i miss anything?

Edited by the wanderer

Not all Melbourne fans are bandwagoners. They had a good 14,000 fans last year. However, straight after the WC they get another 10,000 fans from no where, which was helped with a 30,000+ crowd for the Melbourne game. Yes, Melbourne do love sport and it's well known they'd jump onto anything successfull. Hell, they had more people watching the NRL Grand Final than Sydney and Brisbane did.

You also mentioned growth for the A-League, which is barely evident in this years crowds figures, yet according to all and sundry this was supposed to be a huge year for the A-League follwing the WC.

And yes, clearly you must be homosexual to follow the Gay-League ;):shifty:

Mark my words, the A-League will only get stronger and stronger...AS long as it continues to be run professionally and by the right people.

Remember we are only 6 rounds into the new season...still a long way to go yet and now with both the NRL and AFL finishing their respective seasons, there should be some improvement in the crowds.

Either way, there is still a long way to go for the A-League, but all in good time.

You also mentioned growth for the A-League, which is barely evident in this years crowds figures, yet according to all and sundry this was supposed to be a huge year for the A-League follwing the WC.

It's not entirely A-League related (although a number of A-League players are involved) but Australia host Paraguay in a friendly tonight in Brisbane. The squad for Australia is close to full strength, with only Craig Moore, Harry Kewell, and Mark Viduka not backing up from the World Cup. Kalac, Vidmar, Lazaridis, and Popovic are all retiring from international football after this game also.

John Aloisi (Alaves, Spain)

Michael Beauchamp (Nuremberg, Germany)

Alex Brosque (Sydney FC, Australia)

Marco Bresciano (Palermo, Italy)

Tim Cahill (Everton, England)

Scott Chipperfield (Basel, Switzerland)

Ante Covic (Hammarby, Sweden)

Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven

The Netherlands)

Travis Dodd (Adelaide United, Australia)

Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers, England)

Vince Grella (Parma, Italy)

Zeljko Kalac (AC Milan, Italy)

Stan Lazaridis (Perth Glory, Australia)

Mark Milligan (Sydney FC, Australia)

Jade North, Newcastle Jets, Australia)

Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers, England)

Tony Popovic (Al-Arabi, Qatar)

Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough, England)

Josip Skoko (Wigan Athletic, England)

Mile Sterjovski (Basle, Switzerland)

Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory, Australia)

Tony Vidmar (Central Coast Mariners, Australia)

Luke Wilkshire (FC Twente, The Netherlands)

I've got a few mates going along to the game and I know I'm excited to see the squad that pushed Italy to the limit in the World Cup back on deck. Should be a good game, and I'd be disappointed with anything less than a win.

Did you see the game, Wanderer? Were it any other side (barring New Zealand) or a full strength Newcastle side - it would have been a different result. Hell, even with the weak side they fielded, Newcastle were right in it until the second goal right near fulltime. Nick Carle and Milton Rodriguez really missed having a decent finisher in front of them.

Well, i guess that you're a disappointed fellow then after the 1-1 draw. hmm.gif

I'll be honest. I haven't been following the A-League like i should. I absolutely love football, everything about it. For some reason though, the A-League doesn't really interest me like the English, Italian and Spanish leagues do.

I have watched a few games though and am impressed with the quality of the football. I want to see clubs focusing more on there young Aussies, it's a real pleasure to watch an Aussie made footballer on the pitch.

No surprises here, but Newcastle have sacked coach, Nick Theodorokopolis (sp?) after the side has failed to register a win after seven rounds of the 2006/2007 competition. Theo had a big role in turning Wollongong into a force in the old NSL, and did some good work with Parramatta as well. Gary Van Egmond has been selected as an interim coach, and the Newcastle Jets board have not ruled out him staying there permanently. Another option for the role is former Australian coach, Frank Farina. I wasn't a fan of his time as Socceroos coach - he was too negative and played right into the 'Australia can't win at football' belief that we had prior to Guus Hiddink's arrival. But he might do a better job as a club coach, where there isn't such a huge negative belief.

Did you see the game, Wanderer? Were it any other side (barring New Zealand) or a full strength Newcastle side - it would have been a different result. Hell, even with the weak side they fielded, Newcastle were right in it until the second goal right near fulltime. Nick Carle and Milton Rodriguez really missed having a decent finisher in front of them.

More on the Newcastle Jets' coaching situation. As I already said, former Socceroos' coach, Frank Farina is the front-runner - as well as Branko Culina (who you'll recognise from this year's World Cup coverage). The Sydney Morning Herald pointed out some interesting facts about the timing of the sacking. Newcastle are welcoming back Vaughan Coveny, Jade North, and Joel Griffiths this weekend - and are expected to announce the signing of Socceroo goal-keeper, Ante Covic in the next month or so. Given Theodorokopolis' coaching record, it would have been good to see what he could do with a full strength side and a top quality goalkeeper. Hell, if they sign Covic, they'll have one of (if not the) best goal-keepers in the competition.

Well it finally had to happen sooner or later!

Victory lose their first game of the season and it was to that same mob again Adelaide. Don't know what it is about them, but they seem to have Melbourne's measure everytime they play each other.

Still 6 points clear at top and a big game next as Melbourne take on Sydney FC away. Should be a cracker of a game! (Y)

I've got to comment on just how much Melbourne bring to the league. Last season Sydney's professionalism, crowds, and signing (still the only side to really have a marquee player) did it - and this year it's Melbourne's crowds and the absolute intensity they bring to every match. Yesterday's 1-0 loss was every bit as exciting, controversial, and galvanising as the 3-2 victory over Sydney earlier this year. The way they've established rivalries with Sydney and Adelaide has given the A-League its own Merseyside derby equivalents.

Add to that the rivalry between Sydney/Central Coast and Newcastle/Central Coast, and you've got some great derbies. Now we just need a rival for Queensland, one for Perth, and one for New Zealand, and we're set.

Special mention also to Newcastle, who got off the mark with a 3-0 win over New Zealand. Got to feel for Theo too - I don't doubt the result would have been similar under his guidance.