Official A-League Thread

Chris the Human

I know I'm not the only Aussie on these boards, but am I the only A-League fan? I've so far caught almost every game this season, and have so far been particularly impressed with the Queensland Roar and the Melbourne Victory (obviously, they're both unbeaten). My own team are the currently last placed Newcastle Jets, who can't seem to get it together despite the presence of Paul Okon, Joel Griffiths, Nick Carle, and Colombian international, Milton Rodriguez. Queensland are my bandwagon team for now.

Looking forward to seeing Carbone in action this Monday in the Sydney vs. Adelaide game. He's a suitable replacement for Dwight Yorke. There's also talk of Romario having a four game guest stint for Adelaide later in the year, whilst Newcastle's bid to lure Stan Collymore out of retirement for a brief guest run were shut down. I don't blame the FFA for blocking the move either - he hasn't played in five years and brings nothing to the table aside from stories about Sharon Stone.

Buzz about New Zealand getting the axe if things don't improve over there. Less than two thousand showed up for their must win clash against Central Coast tonight (which they lost 1-0 due to a late penalty).

I'm ranting to myself. Anyone else been watching?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mm .. I don't watch it .. but I heard about that news about Adelaide wanting Romario so I started a game on FM with Adelaide.. top of the league atm after 5 games .. it's a pretty decent league .. needs some more exposure tbh .. but with Australia's recent WC run and if Romario does decide to go to Adelaide.. the future's looking bright.

I agree with the Asian thing. I can't think of any big clubs in Oceania that play outside of Australia, except maybe Auckland.

Is there a lower league, or will that come in later? I've seen the A-League doesn't actually have any relegations. And why are New Zealand Knights in the A-League? It would be cool if there was a combined Aussie/NZ league, but never mind. (¬_¬)

In ten years the A-League should be pretty established, and with the attraction of living and playing in Australia I'm pretty sure it'll do fine. Maybe there needs to be more emphasis on raising home talent rather than bringing in big names like Yorke or Romario.

And I support Perth Glory...since they're linked with Rangers. (H)

And Perth is named after a Scottish town.

Edited by The Kraig

A-League? More like Gay-League. >_>

I am horribly anti-bandwagon (hence why I went for the Eagles in today's AFL final), so I'd like to see how the league goes once the bandwagon effect from the World Cup has died down.

EDIT: Upon further research, Central Coast, Newcastle, Perth and Adelaide have all had drops in crowd averages, with the only big improvers being Melbourne (by 10000, highlighting the bandwagonness as Melbourne sport fans are the biggest bunch of bandwagoners ever) and Queensland. New Zealand's crowds are just horrible (average 4000).

Edited by Zarghz

You do realise that last season was prior to the World Cup, so it's clearly had no effect on crowds this season (unless, for some reason, it's scared people away). The Melbourne and Queensland crowd increases are due entirely to the fact that their sides are winning games now. Last year they both underperformed.

As for New Zealand's crowds, they don't deserve to be in the leagbue, as previously stated. Newcastle and Central Coast are both having shithouse seasons (one win between them), so their crowd decrease also makes sense.

And as for bandwagon - as much as I hate Melbourne, Sydney has it hands down. The Swans couldn't buy a fan until they started winning. Me, I'm still proud that Newcastle maintained one of the highest averages in a year when they won the wooden spoon.

Yes, I was comparing crowd averages before and after the WC. They're probably hasn't been a big improvement like they would have hoped for.

I still think a lot of Melbourne's increase in crowds is because of the WC. They've almost doubled their average, yet you don't see that big a leap happening to the Storm crowds even though they're currently the best in the league.

It's undoubtedly a mixture of World Cup hype and the fact that Melbourne have won five from five thus far, putting them out in front of the league. Tonight's game against Queensland is expected to draw 30,000 or more to the Telstra Dome despite the conflicting Grand Final up north.

I enjoy watching Queensland play, so this year they're the team I'm hoping will take it out. Last season I split my loyalty between my home team (Newcastle) and Sydney, who were the most exciting side to watch. I don't have a team I fanatically support, unfortunately. Newcastle were the obvious choice due to the fact I lived there and know Nick Carle, but despite the presence of Carle, Rodriguez, and Griffiths - they still play bland football most of the time.

Did anyone get a chance to see Benito Carbone's debut game for Sydney FC today? He was instrumental in everything Sydney did. He set up the two early goals and then capped off the game with a cracker of his own. He did get cautioned for time wasting (and got pinned for being offside about seven times), but he was just in superb form. While I did think Dwight Yorke was a tremendous acquisition for the club, Carbone showed today what a truly classy player can do.

Looking forward to seeing what Romario can do when he debuts in a few weeks.

Round Six Results

New Zealand 0 lost Central Coast 1

Newcastle 0 lost Perth 3

Melbourne 4 def Queensland 1

Adelaide 1 lost Sydney 4

Ladder is something like

Melbourne - 18

Queensland - 11

Sydney - 11

Adelaide - 7

Perth - 7

Central Coast - 5

New Zealand - 4

Newcastle - 3

G'day Melbourne Victory supporter here....oh sorry must have jumped on the bandwagon <_<

Seriously though, anyone who has lived in Melbourne knows that this is not a bandwagon town...well not entirely!

Melbourne just loves it's sport, its that simple. It doesn't matter if its AFL, NRL, or the A-League....we just love sport. So before people start going around calling everyone in Melbourne a bandwagon jumper, try living here a while and seeing that we are a sports mad town. (Y)

Back on to the subject, Melbourne Victory are on fire this season 6 games, 6 wins, and proudly sitting atop the A-League. To be honest, Melbourne has had an unbelievable run of good luck with injuries so far. In fact i think coach Ernie Merrick had a full squad to choose from against Queensland so it just shows what can happen when you do get your best eleven out on the park every week.

Looking forward to the Newcastle game on Sunday...GO VICTORY!!!

If Joel Griffiths was available, I'd almost back Newcastle to upset the Victory and end their winning run. We know it's going to happen eventually, and a side like Newcastle (or New Zealand) is under the radar enough to lead to some complacency from the Victory. But with Griffiths still out for another week as a result of that ludicrous red card, I daresay the Melbourne winning train will roll on.

You mean everybody!

Hardly anyone in my grade and from where around I live (save one family down the road who are AFL mad) give two shits about the AFL, let alone the Swans. And if you look at the crowd during Swans games, their full of bogans, like most AFL crowds.

Growth is only natural? Only two teams have had significant growth in crowd numbers this year- your lot and Queensland. Everyone else has remained steady or numbers have decreased.

Yes growth is only natural Zarghz. (Y)

The reson why i say this is quite simply the fact that the league is in it's infancy. Of course things are only going to get better for the league. There is more corporate money invested in the game in Australia now and it is a hell of a lot more professionally run these days. There is also now a strong focus on developing our youth players in the league and we now play in the Asian confederation, so more games for the National team and A-League clubs as well.

And if you look at the crowd during Swans games, their full of bogans, like most AFL crowds.