Daddy, why did the bad man ruin cartoons?

apsham

I just turned on the television this morning and it was on FOX from last night... I took a look at what I saw and... wow. Tennage Mutant Ninja Turtles are now pointless as they seem to be set in a futuristic world where no one seems to be human anyways and then I saw the opening of the show that was coming up next... some kind of new GI Joe show where the enemies are ROBOTS. Dammit to hell, where's all the grunts? That was the fun of the show. Bah.... what's wrong with kids these days.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That plot twist does sound pretty redundant, however I would like to calmly point out that the new TMNT series is about a thousand times better than that shit they tossed out in the early 90s, going from what I've seen of both.

What people don't get is that most cartoons fucking sucked when they were kids too. ESPECIALLY in the late 80s/early 90s. At least the mid-90s had stuff like Animaniacs and Freakazoid.

I agree 100%. Most of today's cartoons suck royally. I remember a few months ago I got up early one saturday and I was watching some of the stuff that FOX and all the other stations had on at the time. I actually had to stop because most of the stuff they had on sucked. I swear, I miss the days of The Tick, Eek! The Cat, Freakazoid, Animaniacs and Batman....

I think in general, it's just what you grew up with. If you were growing up with the new TMNT, you'd probably enjoy it. Kids are impressionable, they like what's given to them. Adults are stubborn and enjoy familiarity, our cartoons take us back, but in reality, they probably weren't that great either.

The only good cartoons left are aimed at adults anyway. Venture Bros. is the best animated show to come out since Transformers.

I disagree. there are and have been several 'kids' cartoons in recent years which have been pretty good overall. Like Invader Zim, Fairly Oddparents, Dexter's Laboratory, Justice League, The Powerpuff Girls, and my current favorite, The Grim Adventures of Billy And Mandy. That show is one of the best things on TV if only because of all the Dune references. And the Evil Dead references. And the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas references. And Black Dracula.

To be fair, Invader Zim really wasn't for kids. I mean, it was put on Nickelodeon and all but the humor quite clearly aims more to the teenage set (I never, ever met a single fan of Zim that was younger than thirteen). Were Zim put on Cartoon Network as opposed to Nickelodeon it would likely have lasted longer. Hell, if they'd have just bided their time and put it on Adult Swim's lineup at the start it would have ended up being a franchise series, I think. But then again, I can't think of a show on Adult Swim's lineup at the very start that I would want to replace it for (maybe just give it one of Cowboy Bebop's two slots at the time).

I agree with everything you mentioned aside from Billy and Mandy, though. I just don't like that show and I can't figure out why for the life of me.

The only new cartoon series I will watch is Fairly Odd Parents but I will always watch any cartoons for nostaglic purposes ie. orginal TMNT, Heman, Bravestar etc.

I think in general, it's just what you grew up with. If you were growing up with the new TMNT, you'd probably enjoy it. Kids are impressionable, they like what's given to them. Adults are stubborn and enjoy familiarity, our cartoons take us back, but in reality, they probably weren't that great either.

I dislike the trend of taking something established and turning it into... that though. All that's on television now in the form of kids shows seems to be these... overdone shows somehow centering around robots, an old classic show with robots thrown in somewhere or some badly/bad translated anime that gets overdone and saturated within a couple of months. Or maybe I'm just cynical... who knows.

And Fanku... a kid's cartoon with Fear And Loathing references? Huh?

The whole "adding robots" is to cut down on human on human violence. We can't have that in our cartoons today in the ridiculously politically incorrect world we live in today. Updating existing ideas has been around since forever and I'm generally not bothered enough to care... with this being the exception:

Blasphemy